4-point square coin version

  • Susie
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
      I couldn't envision only four points (a square, duh), but I really like what Ben has done.
      Can't decide if I like the blues of the canyon divided with the grey raised lines or without
      better -- I could go either way. I have all the DEMs and stuff available, but I think Ben is
      doing a great job without me stepping in. I'll just stand back and let him be creative!

      I like the relief on the gc.com logo and the fact that by doing it that way allows us to
      double up on the blue color.

      Since the list of images was beginning to get long, I've created a top-level photo album
      called CoinCreation and moved all of the coin images (including BOB lol) into the new
      folder.

      Again, I really like the square shape. It will fit easier into everyone's plastic sleeves in their
      collection binders ;-) Now what will the other side with the CCGC logo look like (e.g. what
      to put into the space of the other three corners)? Send in your ideas everyone!
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
        I agree; the square one works well. I think I like the canyon w/o
        the grey lines, although I'm not sure if that works with the colors
        or not (i.e. do they use the rim of the lines to keep the enamel
        colors seperated?).

        As far as the CCGC Pirate Edition: I think Bob needs a pirate hat, a
        patch over one eye, a GPS in his right hand (Garmin of course), and
        an ammo box in his left. I'm sure we'll have those coin clubs
        knocking down the door to get one of those :D

        - Touchstone

        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Susie" <susie@s...> wrote:
        > I couldn't envision only four points (a square, duh), but I really
        like what Ben has done.
        > Can't decide if I like the blues of the canyon divided with the
        grey raised lines or without
        > better -- I could go either way. I have all the DEMs and stuff
        available, but I think Ben is
        > doing a great job without me stepping in. I'll just stand back and
        let him be creative!

        > I like the relief on the gc.com logo and the fact that by doing it
        that way allows us to
        > double up on the blue color.
        >
        > Since the list of images was beginning to get long, I've created a
        top-level photo album
        > called CoinCreation and moved all of the coin images (including BOB
        lol) into the new
        > folder.
        >
        > Again, I really like the square shape. It will fit easier into
        everyone's plastic sleeves in their
        > collection binders ;-) Now what will the other side with the CCGC
        logo look like (e.g. what
        > to put into the space of the other three corners)? Send in your
        ideas everyone!
      • Kealia
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
          My two cents: I like the original shape (logo) the best - but that's
          just me.

          What I learned on the coin:
          You can come up with COUNTLESS options! Don't get too caught up
          trying to get everything on one coin. You'll drive yourself crazy!!

          All in all, I like them all and will support the group decision.

          --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "touchstone12002" <msmelser@m...>

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 26, 2005
            Ohhhhhhh! I want one of the BOB coins! LoL! OK, time to pick myself up off the floor.
            Mike, I have you to thank for new bruise on the back of my head from where it hit the
            floor while laughing!

            Back to serious business....

            Color separation: Yes, the colored enamels are separated by the metal of the coin... so
            between any color you will see the metal.... however, the lines can be VERY thin.

            Ben, you are doing a great job! I liked the relief of the canyons...

            Not sure if you would be able to fit the names of ALL the cities represented by the cachers
            in our group... Capitola, Soquel, Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Marina, Salinas, Monterey,
            Carmel... If we ever consolidate groups, we would have to call it GOMBA: Geocachers of
            the Monterey Bay Area.

            I like the square coin, as well as the the original shape, and while we haven't seen the ninja
            star version yet, I think that would be cool too.

            BTW, if anyone is interested in seeing some different coin options, I'm bringing my coin
            collection to the 99 Bottles meeting in Santa Cruz on Oct 2.... so you can see some
            different ideas for coins.. how the colors go together... 3D die effects and color
            separations.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
              So first off, I had a new logo-shaped version to post, I had added
              the relief to that version and named a bunch of central coast cities
              around the edge, but long story short...I didn't save an hour's
              worth of work correctly, and lost it. Damn
              Secondly I agree with Kealia. I like the logo design better myself
              but will defer to the majority.

              On the topic of legality. Are we allowed to use the geocaching logo
              on our coin? I asked the powers that be about the CITO logo for use
              on a coin and got the following response:

              "Dear Ben,

              Thank you for asking. Unfortunately, the CITO logo is subject to
              copyright by Groundspeak and we do not allow it to be used on goods
              for sale (other than those sold by Groundspeak) or used in
              conjunction with the logo other organizations (for profit or not-for
              profit).
              I am genuinely sorry that I can not give you permission to proceed as
              requested.

              Happy Geocaching!

              Sincerely,

              Bryan Roth
              Groundspeak Inc."

              Nice email, but I'm totally bummed about not being able to use the
              CITO logo. I've got a little side project going on designing a coin
              to give out for free at a CITO event. Don't worry I'll keep you all
              posted. Oh, maybe I can work in our CCGC logo on that. Two CCGC
              coins out there...is the world ready for that?

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 29, 2005
                Unless things have changed, I think TPTB have been pretty lenient on
                letting groups use the GC logo (or the CITO logo). I know when the
                Dillon Gang and Bobkatz were putting together the CA coin, it wasn't
                any big deal (I think they had to sign a piece of paper). Perhaps
                since they don't see the discussion on the gc forums they don't think
                it's legit or something. I'm not sure. Maybe if you direct them to
                this thread, and maybe a list of the cachers involved it might soften
                them a little. At any rate, it's no big deal to me if the GC logo is
                there or not.

                If you are putting together a CITO coin I'd be interested in
                participating in that for next years Yosemite CITO Event.

                Another thought: instead of MRY and SCRUZ, you could put Point Pinos
                lighthouse and Santa Cruz Lighthouse. Just a thought.