RE: [CCGC] Re: CCGA Geocoin

  • Monty Groves
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
      Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your pockets....OK, back to the barn now

      MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
        Hi CCGCers, I posted an image of a 4-point star design. You can
        easily interpret what a square image may look like off of this.
        Also, we can change the orientation of the bay image if we want. I
        can also do up Sue's 8 point idea a little later(but I have a
        suspicion she's got more skills at photoshop than I do =)).
        So I tried to work a little on the Topo contour line feel by raising
        a little of the "metal" between color intervals. This assumes no
        relief between the different water layers, but instead a physical
        break. But maybe I'll post an image of what relieved (reliefed?)
        layers might look like.
        I counted less than 9 colors on this back if we use the same green
        in the logo and the land, and get double use out of the blue in the
        logo.
        Sue: I've got access to a pretty good USGS DEM on our school
        database that I may play with to get a better canyon feel. It's a
        huge file of course, and you probably have access to some, but I can
        send it to you if you wanna work it.

        1 more thing. I know we don't all live in Monterey & Santa Cruz,
        what if instead of the MBNMS text we write out the towns we live in
        as well as Monterey and Santa Cruz? Shout out to MARINA!!! Sorry
        about that.

        Lance/Mike: check out BOB

        Maybe finish out the
        points on the coin, like a five or six point star. Not sure how that
        would look, but just an idea. Make it look like a Ninja fighting star
        or something 8).

        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
        > Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your
        > pockets....OK, back to the barn now
        >
        > MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
        Behalf Of
> [...]
        > >

        > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"
        <teambiggeeks@y...>
        > > wrote:
        > > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I
        added
        > > Sgt.
        > > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version
        as I
        > > > don't have access to the program right now.
        > > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
        > > illustrator
        > > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the
        coin.
        > > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think
        it
        > > looks
        > > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
        > > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can

      • David Werblo
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
          Hi All,
          We have an 8 ft by 9 ft map of the area on our family
          room wall which we created by using USGS maps. (See
          attached). This is a collection of 16 paper maps plus
          2 USGS scanned maps. The ocean map with depths was
          custom created for us by the USGS. We can send someone
          this color USGS map of the ocean showing depths if it
          would be useful. Send request to werblo@....

          Kathy

          === message truncated ===

          __________________________________
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • David Werblo
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
            Of the pictures posted so far, I like the relief map
            but think the geo symbol is too prominent and I prefer
            the unusual shape on V2 and V3. The lettering on the
            edge is a great idea. Trying to get all if the names
            in would make it too cluttered and we would not want
            to leave anyone out. Prunedale has lots of caches so
            don't forget us!

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
              Hi All,
              So I'm going to attempt to post a redo of a draft of the coin with
              some city names on there. I also added some depth to the logo side of
              the coin to get an idea as to what it may look like. I think I can
              make a more slick image of the bayside...given I find some time.

              I've been a little distracted drawing up another coin for the
              aforementioned CITO event. I did want to just go with a CITO logo,
              but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I posted the
              alternative I drew up since I incorporated our CCGC logo. I thought
              I'd get the groups approval before using the logo. The quote on the
              coin says "Kings and cabbages go back to compost, but good deeds stay
              green forever." I thought it was appropriate. If no one has any
              objections to the use of the logo for this CITO coin I'm going to get
              the manufacture process started with this one at the end of this week
              or beginning of next. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

              Okay, enough procrastination for now. BGB

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                New CCGC version looks great :) Not sure I have anything to add to
                that version.

                As far as the CITO coin: I think it's really up to Susie on the CCGC
                logo useage. Cool looking coin nonetheless. You might want to give
                Susie some background on the RON group and maybe a link so she knows
                what you're talking about.

                BTW: Ian and I stopped by the Disc Golf Course off of General Jim
                Moore Blvd today. A bit windy for the course (e.g. hard throwing
                into the wind, but man! we could sure make them sail WITH the wind),
                but Ian was totally stoked when we came across THIS course:

                http://sports.csumb.edu/adventures/ropes%20course/ropescourse.htm

                Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                and think one of two things:

                1. How could I hide a cache there?
                2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                LOL. I crack myself up sometimes :D

                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                  > Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                  > and think one of two things:
                  >
                  > 1. How could I hide a cache there?
                  > 2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                  Isn't one of the first signs of addiction not being able to look at anything or go anywhere
                  without thinking about the thing you're addicted to? OK, everyone, I think we need to
                  have an intervention for Mike... He is starting (or is that continuing?) to show classic signs
                  of a serious addiction... ;-)

                  BTW, if you hold an event.... they will come....

                  Back on topic:
                  Both coins are looking great!
                  There. I've made my comments... I'm done and I even stayed on topic... at least for a short
                  while... :-D