[CCGC] Re: CCGA Geocoin

    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
      You crack me up Lance :D

      That would be the ultimate sig item for Ben. Could call the
      coin "Bob" for short.

      Square would work, although I think a star shaped coin would stick
      out a bit more (no pun intended).

      I'd vote for the topo line look for the canyon, with some various
      shades of greens and blues to mark the depths. I tried looking for
      some bathymetry images on the USGS but all I could find was BW
      images. Knocking out the reference to the Marine Sanctuary is no big
      deal to me. I didn't realize the Sanctuary extended that far North.

      Lance: I don't think TSA would give you a hard time about the coin
      shape as long as you don't sharpen it ;)

      Should there be a reference to "Shake Your Bootie" cache (like a
      little flag on the bay side), since the topo part of the logo is from
      that area? Hmmmm....is there a puzzle cache idea in there somewhere?

      I'm not so keen on the numbering of coins, since so many end up in
      collections anyway. I'm sure Marky could make some room on his
      tracking site, especially if we bribe him with some coinage ;).

      - Touchstone

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Lance" <sgt_stitches@s...> wrote:
      > It just occured to me that you could also make the coin square to
      > compensate for the CCGC logo. A square coin would still be unique
      in
      > shape, yet be easier to handle and you wouldn't have to worry about
      > having them confiscated if you tried to take them on a plane (LoL!)
      >
      > Susie asked about level of detail for underwater canyons... these
      > coins can be made with a LOT of detail... you could even do a 3D
      die
      > (obviously not to scale) that would represent the canyons...
      caveat:
      > you can't use color on 3D parts of the coin... Other option is to
      > represent the canyons with more topo-like lines. Cost for color is
      > the same for 1-9 colors... so you would want to limit the number of
      > colors to less than 9.
      >
      > One last thought on a square coin ... you could call the
      > coin "square coin sponge pants" ... (OK.. I'll crawl back under my
      > rock... I've been watching too many cartoons with my kids)
      >

      > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I added
      > Sgt.
      > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version as I
      > > don't have access to the program right now.
      > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
      > illustrator
      > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the coin.
      > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think it
      > looks
      > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
      > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can add
      it
      > in
      > > the green section. Thoughts?
      > >
      > > Ben
      > >
      > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Sgt Stitches <sgt_stitches@s...>
      > wrote:
      > > > Yeah... the little triangle flag is also part of the Geocaching
      > > logo...
      > > > in fact, I was thinking you could incorporate the Geocaching
      logo
      > > into
      > > > the square part on the "bay" side of the coin.... sort of the
      > > > counterpart to the "ready to navigate" on the CCGC side.... it
      > would
      > > > depend on how deep it would have to go into the bay... I like
      the
      > > > depth/underwater canyon effect you've got going... reminds of
      the
      > > big
      > > > poster of the bay they sell all over the place in Monterey and
      in
      > > Santa
      > > > Cruz.

    • Monty Groves
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
        Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your pockets....OK, back to the barn now

        MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
          Hi CCGCers, I posted an image of a 4-point star design. You can
          easily interpret what a square image may look like off of this.
          Also, we can change the orientation of the bay image if we want. I
          can also do up Sue's 8 point idea a little later(but I have a
          suspicion she's got more skills at photoshop than I do =)).
          So I tried to work a little on the Topo contour line feel by raising
          a little of the "metal" between color intervals. This assumes no
          relief between the different water layers, but instead a physical
          break. But maybe I'll post an image of what relieved (reliefed?)
          layers might look like.
          I counted less than 9 colors on this back if we use the same green
          in the logo and the land, and get double use out of the blue in the
          logo.
          Sue: I've got access to a pretty good USGS DEM on our school
          database that I may play with to get a better canyon feel. It's a
          huge file of course, and you probably have access to some, but I can
          send it to you if you wanna work it.

          1 more thing. I know we don't all live in Monterey & Santa Cruz,
          what if instead of the MBNMS text we write out the towns we live in
          as well as Monterey and Santa Cruz? Shout out to MARINA!!! Sorry
          about that.

          Lance/Mike: check out BOB

          Maybe finish out the
          points on the coin, like a five or six point star. Not sure how that
          would look, but just an idea. Make it look like a Ninja fighting star
          or something 8).

          --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
          > Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your
          > pockets....OK, back to the barn now
          >
          > MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
          Behalf Of
> [...]
          > >

          > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"
          <teambiggeeks@y...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I
          added
          > > Sgt.
          > > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version
          as I
          > > > don't have access to the program right now.
          > > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
          > > illustrator
          > > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the
          coin.
          > > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think
          it
          > > looks
          > > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
          > > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can

        • David Werblo
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
            Hi All,
            We have an 8 ft by 9 ft map of the area on our family
            room wall which we created by using USGS maps. (See
            attached). This is a collection of 16 paper maps plus
            2 USGS scanned maps. The ocean map with depths was
            custom created for us by the USGS. We can send someone
            this color USGS map of the ocean showing depths if it
            would be useful. Send request to werblo@....

            Kathy

            === message truncated ===

            __________________________________
            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • David Werblo
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
              Of the pictures posted so far, I like the relief map
              but think the geo symbol is too prominent and I prefer
              the unusual shape on V2 and V3. The lettering on the
              edge is a great idea. Trying to get all if the names
              in would make it too cluttered and we would not want
              to leave anyone out. Prunedale has lots of caches so
              don't forget us!

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                Hi All,
                So I'm going to attempt to post a redo of a draft of the coin with
                some city names on there. I also added some depth to the logo side of
                the coin to get an idea as to what it may look like. I think I can
                make a more slick image of the bayside...given I find some time.

                I've been a little distracted drawing up another coin for the
                aforementioned CITO event. I did want to just go with a CITO logo,
                but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I posted the
                alternative I drew up since I incorporated our CCGC logo. I thought
                I'd get the groups approval before using the logo. The quote on the
                coin says "Kings and cabbages go back to compost, but good deeds stay
                green forever." I thought it was appropriate. If no one has any
                objections to the use of the logo for this CITO coin I'm going to get
                the manufacture process started with this one at the end of this week
                or beginning of next. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

                Okay, enough procrastination for now. BGB

                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                  New CCGC version looks great :) Not sure I have anything to add to
                  that version.

                  As far as the CITO coin: I think it's really up to Susie on the CCGC
                  logo useage. Cool looking coin nonetheless. You might want to give
                  Susie some background on the RON group and maybe a link so she knows
                  what you're talking about.

                  BTW: Ian and I stopped by the Disc Golf Course off of General Jim
                  Moore Blvd today. A bit windy for the course (e.g. hard throwing
                  into the wind, but man! we could sure make them sail WITH the wind),
                  but Ian was totally stoked when we came across THIS course:

                  http://sports.csumb.edu/adventures/ropes%20course/ropescourse.htm

                  Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                  and think one of two things:

                  1. How could I hide a cache there?
                  2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                  LOL. I crack myself up sometimes :D

                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                    > Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                    > and think one of two things:
                    >
                    > 1. How could I hide a cache there?
                    > 2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                    Isn't one of the first signs of addiction not being able to look at anything or go anywhere
                    without thinking about the thing you're addicted to? OK, everyone, I think we need to
                    have an intervention for Mike... He is starting (or is that continuing?) to show classic signs
                    of a serious addiction... ;-)

                    BTW, if you hold an event.... they will come....

                    Back on topic:
                    Both coins are looking great!
                    There. I've made my comments... I'm done and I even stayed on topic... at least for a short
                    while... :-D