[CCGC] Re: CCGA Geocoin

    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
      It just occured to me that you could also make the coin square to
      compensate for the CCGC logo. A square coin would still be unique in
      shape, yet be easier to handle and you wouldn't have to worry about
      having them confiscated if you tried to take them on a plane (LoL!)

      Susie asked about level of detail for underwater canyons... these
      coins can be made with a LOT of detail... you could even do a 3D die
      (obviously not to scale) that would represent the canyons... caveat:
      you can't use color on 3D parts of the coin... Other option is to
      represent the canyons with more topo-like lines. Cost for color is
      the same for 1-9 colors... so you would want to limit the number of
      colors to less than 9.

      One last thought on a square coin ... you could call the
      coin "square coin sponge pants" ... (OK.. I'll crawl back under my
      rock... I've been watching too many cartoons with my kids)

      > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I added
      Sgt.

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
        You crack me up Lance :D

        That would be the ultimate sig item for Ben. Could call the
        coin "Bob" for short.

        Square would work, although I think a star shaped coin would stick
        out a bit more (no pun intended).

        I'd vote for the topo line look for the canyon, with some various
        shades of greens and blues to mark the depths. I tried looking for
        some bathymetry images on the USGS but all I could find was BW
        images. Knocking out the reference to the Marine Sanctuary is no big
        deal to me. I didn't realize the Sanctuary extended that far North.

        Lance: I don't think TSA would give you a hard time about the coin
        shape as long as you don't sharpen it ;)

        Should there be a reference to "Shake Your Bootie" cache (like a
        little flag on the bay side), since the topo part of the logo is from
        that area? Hmmmm....is there a puzzle cache idea in there somewhere?

        I'm not so keen on the numbering of coins, since so many end up in
        collections anyway. I'm sure Marky could make some room on his
        tracking site, especially if we bribe him with some coinage ;).

        - Touchstone

      • Monty Groves
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
          Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your pockets....OK, back to the barn now

          MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
            Hi CCGCers, I posted an image of a 4-point star design. You can
            easily interpret what a square image may look like off of this.
            Also, we can change the orientation of the bay image if we want. I
            can also do up Sue's 8 point idea a little later(but I have a
            suspicion she's got more skills at photoshop than I do =)).
            So I tried to work a little on the Topo contour line feel by raising
            a little of the "metal" between color intervals. This assumes no
            relief between the different water layers, but instead a physical
            break. But maybe I'll post an image of what relieved (reliefed?)
            layers might look like.
            I counted less than 9 colors on this back if we use the same green
            in the logo and the land, and get double use out of the blue in the
            logo.
            Sue: I've got access to a pretty good USGS DEM on our school
            database that I may play with to get a better canyon feel. It's a
            huge file of course, and you probably have access to some, but I can
            send it to you if you wanna work it.

            1 more thing. I know we don't all live in Monterey & Santa Cruz,
            what if instead of the MBNMS text we write out the towns we live in
            as well as Monterey and Santa Cruz? Shout out to MARINA!!! Sorry
            about that.

            Lance/Mike: check out BOB

            Maybe finish out the
            points on the coin, like a five or six point star. Not sure how that
            would look, but just an idea. Make it look like a Ninja fighting star
            or something 8).

            --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
            > Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your
            > pockets....OK, back to the barn now
            >
            > MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
            Behalf Of
> [...]
            > >

            > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"
            <teambiggeeks@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I
            added
            > > Sgt.
            > > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version
            as I
            > > > don't have access to the program right now.
            > > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
            > > illustrator
            > > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the
            coin.
            > > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think
            it
            > > looks
            > > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
            > > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can

          • David Werblo
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
              Hi All,
              We have an 8 ft by 9 ft map of the area on our family
              room wall which we created by using USGS maps. (See
              attached). This is a collection of 16 paper maps plus
              2 USGS scanned maps. The ocean map with depths was
              custom created for us by the USGS. We can send someone
              this color USGS map of the ocean showing depths if it
              would be useful. Send request to werblo@....

              Kathy

              === message truncated ===

              __________________________________
              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • David Werblo
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                Of the pictures posted so far, I like the relief map
                but think the geo symbol is too prominent and I prefer
                the unusual shape on V2 and V3. The lettering on the
                edge is a great idea. Trying to get all if the names
                in would make it too cluttered and we would not want
                to leave anyone out. Prunedale has lots of caches so
                don't forget us!

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Hi All,
                  So I'm going to attempt to post a redo of a draft of the coin with
                  some city names on there. I also added some depth to the logo side of
                  the coin to get an idea as to what it may look like. I think I can
                  make a more slick image of the bayside...given I find some time.

                  I've been a little distracted drawing up another coin for the
                  aforementioned CITO event. I did want to just go with a CITO logo,
                  but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I posted the
                  alternative I drew up since I incorporated our CCGC logo. I thought
                  I'd get the groups approval before using the logo. The quote on the
                  coin says "Kings and cabbages go back to compost, but good deeds stay
                  green forever." I thought it was appropriate. If no one has any
                  objections to the use of the logo for this CITO coin I'm going to get
                  the manufacture process started with this one at the end of this week
                  or beginning of next. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

                  Okay, enough procrastination for now. BGB

                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                    New CCGC version looks great :) Not sure I have anything to add to
                    that version.

                    As far as the CITO coin: I think it's really up to Susie on the CCGC
                    logo useage. Cool looking coin nonetheless. You might want to give
                    Susie some background on the RON group and maybe a link so she knows
                    what you're talking about.

                    BTW: Ian and I stopped by the Disc Golf Course off of General Jim
                    Moore Blvd today. A bit windy for the course (e.g. hard throwing
                    into the wind, but man! we could sure make them sail WITH the wind),
                    but Ian was totally stoked when we came across THIS course:

                    http://sports.csumb.edu/adventures/ropes%20course/ropescourse.htm

                    Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                    and think one of two things:

                    1. How could I hide a cache there?
                    2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                    LOL. I crack myself up sometimes :D

                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                      > Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                      > and think one of two things:
                      >
                      > 1. How could I hide a cache there?
                      > 2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                      Isn't one of the first signs of addiction not being able to look at anything or go anywhere
                      without thinking about the thing you're addicted to? OK, everyone, I think we need to
                      have an intervention for Mike... He is starting (or is that continuing?) to show classic signs
                      of a serious addiction... ;-)

                      BTW, if you hold an event.... they will come....

                      Back on topic:
                      Both coins are looking great!
                      There. I've made my comments... I'm done and I even stayed on topic... at least for a short
                      while... :-D