[CCGC] Re: CCGA Geocoin

    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 25, 2005
      Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I added Sgt.
      Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version as I
      don't have access to the program right now.
      The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with illustrator
      we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the coin.
      Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think it looks
      good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
      Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can add it in
      the green section. Thoughts?

      Ben

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Sgt Stitches <sgt_stitches@s...> wrote:
      > Yeah... the little triangle flag is also part of the Geocaching
      logo...
      > in fact, I was thinking you could incorporate the Geocaching logo
      into
      > the square part on the "bay" side of the coin.... sort of the
      > counterpart to the "ready to navigate" on the CCGC side.... it would
      > depend on how deep it would have to go into the bay... I like the
      > depth/underwater canyon effect you've got going... reminds of the
      big
      > poster of the bay they sell all over the place in Monterey and in
      Santa

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
        It just occured to me that you could also make the coin square to
        compensate for the CCGC logo. A square coin would still be unique in
        shape, yet be easier to handle and you wouldn't have to worry about
        having them confiscated if you tried to take them on a plane (LoL!)

        Susie asked about level of detail for underwater canyons... these
        coins can be made with a LOT of detail... you could even do a 3D die
        (obviously not to scale) that would represent the canyons... caveat:
        you can't use color on 3D parts of the coin... Other option is to
        represent the canyons with more topo-like lines. Cost for color is
        the same for 1-9 colors... so you would want to limit the number of
        colors to less than 9.

        One last thought on a square coin ... you could call the
        coin "square coin sponge pants" ... (OK.. I'll crawl back under my
        rock... I've been watching too many cartoons with my kids)

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
          You crack me up Lance :D

          That would be the ultimate sig item for Ben. Could call the
          coin "Bob" for short.

          Square would work, although I think a star shaped coin would stick
          out a bit more (no pun intended).

          I'd vote for the topo line look for the canyon, with some various
          shades of greens and blues to mark the depths. I tried looking for
          some bathymetry images on the USGS but all I could find was BW
          images. Knocking out the reference to the Marine Sanctuary is no big
          deal to me. I didn't realize the Sanctuary extended that far North.

          Lance: I don't think TSA would give you a hard time about the coin
          shape as long as you don't sharpen it ;)

          Should there be a reference to "Shake Your Bootie" cache (like a
          little flag on the bay side), since the topo part of the logo is from
          that area? Hmmmm....is there a puzzle cache idea in there somewhere?

          I'm not so keen on the numbering of coins, since so many end up in
          collections anyway. I'm sure Marky could make some room on his
          tracking site, especially if we bribe him with some coinage ;).

          - Touchstone

        • Monty Groves
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
            Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your pockets....OK, back to the barn now

            MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
              Hi CCGCers, I posted an image of a 4-point star design. You can
              easily interpret what a square image may look like off of this.
              Also, we can change the orientation of the bay image if we want. I
              can also do up Sue's 8 point idea a little later(but I have a
              suspicion she's got more skills at photoshop than I do =)).
              So I tried to work a little on the Topo contour line feel by raising
              a little of the "metal" between color intervals. This assumes no
              relief between the different water layers, but instead a physical
              break. But maybe I'll post an image of what relieved (reliefed?)
              layers might look like.
              I counted less than 9 colors on this back if we use the same green
              in the logo and the land, and get double use out of the blue in the
              logo.
              Sue: I've got access to a pretty good USGS DEM on our school
              database that I may play with to get a better canyon feel. It's a
              huge file of course, and you probably have access to some, but I can
              send it to you if you wanna work it.

              1 more thing. I know we don't all live in Monterey & Santa Cruz,
              what if instead of the MBNMS text we write out the towns we live in
              as well as Monterey and Santa Cruz? Shout out to MARINA!!! Sorry
              about that.

              Lance/Mike: check out BOB

              Maybe finish out the
              points on the coin, like a five or six point star. Not sure how that
              would look, but just an idea. Make it look like a Ninja fighting star
              or something 8).

              --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
              > Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your
              > pockets....OK, back to the barn now
              >
              > MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
              Behalf Of
> [...]
              > >

              > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"
              <teambiggeeks@y...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I
              added
              > > Sgt.
              > > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version
              as I
              > > > don't have access to the program right now.
              > > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
              > > illustrator
              > > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the
              coin.
              > > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think
              it
              > > looks
              > > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
              > > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can

            • David Werblo
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                Hi All,
                We have an 8 ft by 9 ft map of the area on our family
                room wall which we created by using USGS maps. (See
                attached). This is a collection of 16 paper maps plus
                2 USGS scanned maps. The ocean map with depths was
                custom created for us by the USGS. We can send someone
                this color USGS map of the ocean showing depths if it
                would be useful. Send request to werblo@....

                Kathy

                === message truncated ===

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • David Werblo
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Of the pictures posted so far, I like the relief map
                  but think the geo symbol is too prominent and I prefer
                  the unusual shape on V2 and V3. The lettering on the
                  edge is a great idea. Trying to get all if the names
                  in would make it too cluttered and we would not want
                  to leave anyone out. Prunedale has lots of caches so
                  don't forget us!

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Hi All,
                    So I'm going to attempt to post a redo of a draft of the coin with
                    some city names on there. I also added some depth to the logo side of
                    the coin to get an idea as to what it may look like. I think I can
                    make a more slick image of the bayside...given I find some time.

                    I've been a little distracted drawing up another coin for the
                    aforementioned CITO event. I did want to just go with a CITO logo,
                    but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I posted the
                    alternative I drew up since I incorporated our CCGC logo. I thought
                    I'd get the groups approval before using the logo. The quote on the
                    coin says "Kings and cabbages go back to compost, but good deeds stay
                    green forever." I thought it was appropriate. If no one has any
                    objections to the use of the logo for this CITO coin I'm going to get
                    the manufacture process started with this one at the end of this week
                    or beginning of next. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

                    Okay, enough procrastination for now. BGB

                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                      New CCGC version looks great :) Not sure I have anything to add to
                      that version.

                      As far as the CITO coin: I think it's really up to Susie on the CCGC
                      logo useage. Cool looking coin nonetheless. You might want to give
                      Susie some background on the RON group and maybe a link so she knows
                      what you're talking about.

                      BTW: Ian and I stopped by the Disc Golf Course off of General Jim
                      Moore Blvd today. A bit windy for the course (e.g. hard throwing
                      into the wind, but man! we could sure make them sail WITH the wind),
                      but Ian was totally stoked when we came across THIS course:

                      http://sports.csumb.edu/adventures/ropes%20course/ropescourse.htm

                      Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                      and think one of two things:

                      1. How could I hide a cache there?
                      2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                      LOL. I crack myself up sometimes :D

                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                        > Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                        > and think one of two things:
                        >
                        > 1. How could I hide a cache there?
                        > 2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                        Isn't one of the first signs of addiction not being able to look at anything or go anywhere
                        without thinking about the thing you're addicted to? OK, everyone, I think we need to
                        have an intervention for Mike... He is starting (or is that continuing?) to show classic signs
                        of a serious addiction... ;-)

                        BTW, if you hold an event.... they will come....

                        Back on topic:
                        Both coins are looking great!
                        There. I've made my comments... I'm done and I even stayed on topic... at least for a short
                        while... :-D