Re: [CCGC] Re: CCGA Geocoin

  • Sgt Stitches
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
      Yeah... the little triangle flag is also part of the Geocaching logo...
      in fact, I was thinking you could incorporate the Geocaching logo into
      the square part on the "bay" side of the coin.... sort of the
      counterpart to the "ready to navigate" on the CCGC side.... it would
      depend on how deep it would have to go into the bay... I like the
      depth/underwater canyon effect you've got going... reminds of the big
      poster of the bay they sell all over the place in Monterey and in Santa
      Cruz.

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 25, 2005
        Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I added Sgt.
        Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version as I
        don't have access to the program right now.
        The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with illustrator
        we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the coin.
        Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think it looks
        good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
        Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can add it in
        the green section. Thoughts?

        Ben

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
          It just occured to me that you could also make the coin square to
          compensate for the CCGC logo. A square coin would still be unique in
          shape, yet be easier to handle and you wouldn't have to worry about
          having them confiscated if you tried to take them on a plane (LoL!)

          Susie asked about level of detail for underwater canyons... these
          coins can be made with a LOT of detail... you could even do a 3D die
          (obviously not to scale) that would represent the canyons... caveat:
          you can't use color on 3D parts of the coin... Other option is to
          represent the canyons with more topo-like lines. Cost for color is
          the same for 1-9 colors... so you would want to limit the number of
          colors to less than 9.

          One last thought on a square coin ... you could call the
          coin "square coin sponge pants" ... (OK.. I'll crawl back under my
          rock... I've been watching too many cartoons with my kids)

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
            You crack me up Lance :D

            That would be the ultimate sig item for Ben. Could call the
            coin "Bob" for short.

            Square would work, although I think a star shaped coin would stick
            out a bit more (no pun intended).

            I'd vote for the topo line look for the canyon, with some various
            shades of greens and blues to mark the depths. I tried looking for
            some bathymetry images on the USGS but all I could find was BW
            images. Knocking out the reference to the Marine Sanctuary is no big
            deal to me. I didn't realize the Sanctuary extended that far North.

            Lance: I don't think TSA would give you a hard time about the coin
            shape as long as you don't sharpen it ;)

            Should there be a reference to "Shake Your Bootie" cache (like a
            little flag on the bay side), since the topo part of the logo is from
            that area? Hmmmm....is there a puzzle cache idea in there somewhere?

            I'm not so keen on the numbering of coins, since so many end up in
            collections anyway. I'm sure Marky could make some room on his
            tracking site, especially if we bribe him with some coinage ;).

            - Touchstone

          • Monty Groves
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
              Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your pockets....OK, back to the barn now

              MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                Hi CCGCers, I posted an image of a 4-point star design. You can
                easily interpret what a square image may look like off of this.
                Also, we can change the orientation of the bay image if we want. I
                can also do up Sue's 8 point idea a little later(but I have a
                suspicion she's got more skills at photoshop than I do =)).
                So I tried to work a little on the Topo contour line feel by raising
                a little of the "metal" between color intervals. This assumes no
                relief between the different water layers, but instead a physical
                break. But maybe I'll post an image of what relieved (reliefed?)
                layers might look like.
                I counted less than 9 colors on this back if we use the same green
                in the logo and the land, and get double use out of the blue in the
                logo.
                Sue: I've got access to a pretty good USGS DEM on our school
                database that I may play with to get a better canyon feel. It's a
                huge file of course, and you probably have access to some, but I can
                send it to you if you wanna work it.

                1 more thing. I know we don't all live in Monterey & Santa Cruz,
                what if instead of the MBNMS text we write out the towns we live in
                as well as Monterey and Santa Cruz? Shout out to MARINA!!! Sorry
                about that.

                Lance/Mike: check out BOB

                Maybe finish out the
                points on the coin, like a five or six point star. Not sure how that
                would look, but just an idea. Make it look like a Ninja fighting star
                or something 8).

                --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
                > Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your
                > pockets....OK, back to the barn now
                >
                > MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
                Behalf Of
> [...]
                > >

                > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"
                <teambiggeeks@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I
                added
                > > Sgt.
                > > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version
                as I
                > > > don't have access to the program right now.
                > > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
                > > illustrator
                > > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the
                coin.
                > > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think
                it
                > > looks
                > > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
                > > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can

              • David Werblo
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                  Hi All,
                  We have an 8 ft by 9 ft map of the area on our family
                  room wall which we created by using USGS maps. (See
                  attached). This is a collection of 16 paper maps plus
                  2 USGS scanned maps. The ocean map with depths was
                  custom created for us by the USGS. We can send someone
                  this color USGS map of the ocean showing depths if it
                  would be useful. Send request to werblo@....

                  Kathy

                  === message truncated ===

                  __________________________________
                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • David Werblo
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                    Of the pictures posted so far, I like the relief map
                    but think the geo symbol is too prominent and I prefer
                    the unusual shape on V2 and V3. The lettering on the
                    edge is a great idea. Trying to get all if the names
                    in would make it too cluttered and we would not want
                    to leave anyone out. Prunedale has lots of caches so
                    don't forget us!

                    __________________________________
                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Hi All,
                      So I'm going to attempt to post a redo of a draft of the coin with
                      some city names on there. I also added some depth to the logo side of
                      the coin to get an idea as to what it may look like. I think I can
                      make a more slick image of the bayside...given I find some time.

                      I've been a little distracted drawing up another coin for the
                      aforementioned CITO event. I did want to just go with a CITO logo,
                      but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I posted the
                      alternative I drew up since I incorporated our CCGC logo. I thought
                      I'd get the groups approval before using the logo. The quote on the
                      coin says "Kings and cabbages go back to compost, but good deeds stay
                      green forever." I thought it was appropriate. If no one has any
                      objections to the use of the logo for this CITO coin I'm going to get
                      the manufacture process started with this one at the end of this week
                      or beginning of next. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

                      Okay, enough procrastination for now. BGB

                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                        New CCGC version looks great :) Not sure I have anything to add to
                        that version.

                        As far as the CITO coin: I think it's really up to Susie on the CCGC
                        logo useage. Cool looking coin nonetheless. You might want to give
                        Susie some background on the RON group and maybe a link so she knows
                        what you're talking about.

                        BTW: Ian and I stopped by the Disc Golf Course off of General Jim
                        Moore Blvd today. A bit windy for the course (e.g. hard throwing
                        into the wind, but man! we could sure make them sail WITH the wind),
                        but Ian was totally stoked when we came across THIS course:

                        http://sports.csumb.edu/adventures/ropes%20course/ropescourse.htm

                        Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                        and think one of two things:

                        1. How could I hide a cache there?
                        2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                        LOL. I crack myself up sometimes :D

                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                          > Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                          > and think one of two things:
                          >
                          > 1. How could I hide a cache there?
                          > 2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                          Isn't one of the first signs of addiction not being able to look at anything or go anywhere
                          without thinking about the thing you're addicted to? OK, everyone, I think we need to
                          have an intervention for Mike... He is starting (or is that continuing?) to show classic signs
                          of a serious addiction... ;-)

                          BTW, if you hold an event.... they will come....

                          Back on topic:
                          Both coins are looking great!
                          There. I've made my comments... I'm done and I even stayed on topic... at least for a short
                          while... :-D