Re: CCGA Geocoin

    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
      Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give it more of a "geocaching"
      feel.

      ..... look-ing goooood!

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
        Wow, this is fun. Okay, I thought I'd summarize some of our ideas
        so far for some other versions to consider.
        - LANDSAT image of bay
        - Symmetrical ninja-staresq design
        - Waypoints instead of stars
        - Labeled cities

        I've got a Magellan unit, but I used to have a Garmin Vista...Lance,
        I assume you're refering to the waypoint used in the garmin which is
        like a little triangle on a pole?
        Does anyone like the idea of labelling the cities as you would in a
        GPS? i.e. abbreviated "MRY" & "SCRUZ"? Just a thought.
        Also, should we incorporate the year somewhere on there?

        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Lance" <sgt_stitches@s...> wrote:
        > Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give
        it more of a "geocaching"
        > feel.
        >
        > ..... look-ing goooood!
        >

        > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...>
        wrote:
        > > Hi All, I posted two slight variations on the 1st design in the
        photos
        > > section. I only had time to play with text today, but I'll see
        if I
        > > can find some time this weekend to play around some more.
        > >
        > > Hey Mike, I looked at the Idaho coin you were talking abuot to
        get an
        > > idea about the real image overlay. Personally, I don't really
        care for
        > > it...I thought it kind of looked like those t-shirts you get at
        the
        > > mall where they transfer a photo and then put "WANTED" above it
        or
        > > something. But that's just me. I'm enjoying the creative
        process, and
        > > I'm going to see if I can grab a LANDSAT image tonight to make
        an
        > > example.
        > >
        > > BGB
        > >

        > > > 3. Make the coin unique in someway. Either in the look or in
        the
        > > > shape. Round coins don't stick out much. Idaho has a octagon
        shaped
        > > > coin that is unusual, and there's a few others that have
        interesting
        > > > shapes. Colored enamel makes them stand out a bit more.
        > >
        > > > 3. Some reference to the Monterey bay Marine Sanctuary.

      • Sgt Stitches
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
          Yeah... the little triangle flag is also part of the Geocaching logo...
          in fact, I was thinking you could incorporate the Geocaching logo into
          the square part on the "bay" side of the coin.... sort of the
          counterpart to the "ready to navigate" on the CCGC side.... it would
          depend on how deep it would have to go into the bay... I like the
          depth/underwater canyon effect you've got going... reminds of the big
          poster of the bay they sell all over the place in Monterey and in Santa
          Cruz.

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 25, 2005
            Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I added Sgt.
            Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version as I
            don't have access to the program right now.
            The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with illustrator
            we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the coin.
            Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think it looks
            good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
            Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can add it in
            the green section. Thoughts?

            Ben

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
              It just occured to me that you could also make the coin square to
              compensate for the CCGC logo. A square coin would still be unique in
              shape, yet be easier to handle and you wouldn't have to worry about
              having them confiscated if you tried to take them on a plane (LoL!)

              Susie asked about level of detail for underwater canyons... these
              coins can be made with a LOT of detail... you could even do a 3D die
              (obviously not to scale) that would represent the canyons... caveat:
              you can't use color on 3D parts of the coin... Other option is to
              represent the canyons with more topo-like lines. Cost for color is
              the same for 1-9 colors... so you would want to limit the number of
              colors to less than 9.

              One last thought on a square coin ... you could call the
              coin "square coin sponge pants" ... (OK.. I'll crawl back under my
              rock... I've been watching too many cartoons with my kids)

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                You crack me up Lance :D

                That would be the ultimate sig item for Ben. Could call the
                coin "Bob" for short.

                Square would work, although I think a star shaped coin would stick
                out a bit more (no pun intended).

                I'd vote for the topo line look for the canyon, with some various
                shades of greens and blues to mark the depths. I tried looking for
                some bathymetry images on the USGS but all I could find was BW
                images. Knocking out the reference to the Marine Sanctuary is no big
                deal to me. I didn't realize the Sanctuary extended that far North.

                Lance: I don't think TSA would give you a hard time about the coin
                shape as long as you don't sharpen it ;)

                Should there be a reference to "Shake Your Bootie" cache (like a
                little flag on the bay side), since the topo part of the logo is from
                that area? Hmmmm....is there a puzzle cache idea in there somewhere?

                I'm not so keen on the numbering of coins, since so many end up in
                collections anyway. I'm sure Marky could make some room on his
                tracking site, especially if we bribe him with some coinage ;).

                - Touchstone

              • Monty Groves
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                  Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your pockets....OK, back to the barn now

                  MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                    Hi CCGCers, I posted an image of a 4-point star design. You can
                    easily interpret what a square image may look like off of this.
                    Also, we can change the orientation of the bay image if we want. I
                    can also do up Sue's 8 point idea a little later(but I have a
                    suspicion she's got more skills at photoshop than I do =)).
                    So I tried to work a little on the Topo contour line feel by raising
                    a little of the "metal" between color intervals. This assumes no
                    relief between the different water layers, but instead a physical
                    break. But maybe I'll post an image of what relieved (reliefed?)
                    layers might look like.
                    I counted less than 9 colors on this back if we use the same green
                    in the logo and the land, and get double use out of the blue in the
                    logo.
                    Sue: I've got access to a pretty good USGS DEM on our school
                    database that I may play with to get a better canyon feel. It's a
                    huge file of course, and you probably have access to some, but I can
                    send it to you if you wanna work it.

                    1 more thing. I know we don't all live in Monterey & Santa Cruz,
                    what if instead of the MBNMS text we write out the towns we live in
                    as well as Monterey and Santa Cruz? Shout out to MARINA!!! Sorry
                    about that.

                    Lance/Mike: check out BOB

                    Maybe finish out the
                    points on the coin, like a five or six point star. Not sure how that
                    would look, but just an idea. Make it look like a Ninja fighting star
                    or something 8).

                    --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
                    > Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your
                    > pockets....OK, back to the barn now
                    >
                    > MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
                    Behalf Of
> [...]
                    > >

                    > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"
                    <teambiggeeks@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I
                    added
                    > > Sgt.
                    > > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version
                    as I
                    > > > don't have access to the program right now.
                    > > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
                    > > illustrator
                    > > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the
                    coin.
                    > > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think
                    it
                    > > looks
                    > > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
                    > > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can

                  • David Werblo
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Hi All,
                      We have an 8 ft by 9 ft map of the area on our family
                      room wall which we created by using USGS maps. (See
                      attached). This is a collection of 16 paper maps plus
                      2 USGS scanned maps. The ocean map with depths was
                      custom created for us by the USGS. We can send someone
                      this color USGS map of the ocean showing depths if it
                      would be useful. Send request to werblo@....

                      Kathy

                      === message truncated ===

                      __________________________________
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • David Werblo
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                        Of the pictures posted so far, I like the relief map
                        but think the geo symbol is too prominent and I prefer
                        the unusual shape on V2 and V3. The lettering on the
                        edge is a great idea. Trying to get all if the names
                        in would make it too cluttered and we would not want
                        to leave anyone out. Prunedale has lots of caches so
                        don't forget us!

                        __________________________________
                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                          Hi All,
                          So I'm going to attempt to post a redo of a draft of the coin with
                          some city names on there. I also added some depth to the logo side of
                          the coin to get an idea as to what it may look like. I think I can
                          make a more slick image of the bayside...given I find some time.

                          I've been a little distracted drawing up another coin for the
                          aforementioned CITO event. I did want to just go with a CITO logo,
                          but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I posted the
                          alternative I drew up since I incorporated our CCGC logo. I thought
                          I'd get the groups approval before using the logo. The quote on the
                          coin says "Kings and cabbages go back to compost, but good deeds stay
                          green forever." I thought it was appropriate. If no one has any
                          objections to the use of the logo for this CITO coin I'm going to get
                          the manufacture process started with this one at the end of this week
                          or beginning of next. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

                          Okay, enough procrastination for now. BGB

                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                            New CCGC version looks great :) Not sure I have anything to add to
                            that version.

                            As far as the CITO coin: I think it's really up to Susie on the CCGC
                            logo useage. Cool looking coin nonetheless. You might want to give
                            Susie some background on the RON group and maybe a link so she knows
                            what you're talking about.

                            BTW: Ian and I stopped by the Disc Golf Course off of General Jim
                            Moore Blvd today. A bit windy for the course (e.g. hard throwing
                            into the wind, but man! we could sure make them sail WITH the wind),
                            but Ian was totally stoked when we came across THIS course:

                            http://sports.csumb.edu/adventures/ropes%20course/ropescourse.htm

                            Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                            and think one of two things:

                            1. How could I hide a cache there?
                            2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                            LOL. I crack myself up sometimes :D

                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                              > Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                              > and think one of two things:
                              >
                              > 1. How could I hide a cache there?
                              > 2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                              Isn't one of the first signs of addiction not being able to look at anything or go anywhere
                              without thinking about the thing you're addicted to? OK, everyone, I think we need to
                              have an intervention for Mike... He is starting (or is that continuing?) to show classic signs
                              of a serious addiction... ;-)

                              BTW, if you hold an event.... they will come....

                              Back on topic:
                              Both coins are looking great!
                              There. I've made my comments... I'm done and I even stayed on topic... at least for a short
                              while... :-D