Re: CCGA Geocoin

  • Kealia
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 23, 2005
      I was working on a similar design, but yours came out much better. I
      think if we're (you're) going to add stars for SC and Monterey they
      need to be labeled as such.

      Other than that, I like the look. Again, if you want/need help
      working with the coin maker(s) jsut let me know.

      Best,
      Ron

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
        Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give it more of a "geocaching"
        feel.

        ..... look-ing goooood!

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
          Wow, this is fun. Okay, I thought I'd summarize some of our ideas
          so far for some other versions to consider.
          - LANDSAT image of bay
          - Symmetrical ninja-staresq design
          - Waypoints instead of stars
          - Labeled cities

          I've got a Magellan unit, but I used to have a Garmin Vista...Lance,
          I assume you're refering to the waypoint used in the garmin which is
          like a little triangle on a pole?
          Does anyone like the idea of labelling the cities as you would in a
          GPS? i.e. abbreviated "MRY" & "SCRUZ"? Just a thought.
          Also, should we incorporate the year somewhere on there?

          --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Lance" <sgt_stitches@s...> wrote:
          > Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give
          it more of a "geocaching"
          > feel.
          >
          > ..... look-ing goooood!
          >

          > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...>
          wrote:
          > > Hi All, I posted two slight variations on the 1st design in the
          photos
          > > section. I only had time to play with text today, but I'll see
          if I
          > > can find some time this weekend to play around some more.
          > >
          > > Hey Mike, I looked at the Idaho coin you were talking abuot to
          get an
          > > idea about the real image overlay. Personally, I don't really
          care for
          > > it...I thought it kind of looked like those t-shirts you get at
          the
          > > mall where they transfer a photo and then put "WANTED" above it
          or
          > > something. But that's just me. I'm enjoying the creative
          process, and
          > > I'm going to see if I can grab a LANDSAT image tonight to make
          an
          > > example.
          > >
          > > BGB
          > >

          > > > 3. Make the coin unique in someway. Either in the look or in
          the
          > > > shape. Round coins don't stick out much. Idaho has a octagon
          shaped
          > > > coin that is unusual, and there's a few others that have
          interesting
          > > > shapes. Colored enamel makes them stand out a bit more.
          > >
          > > > 3. Some reference to the Monterey bay Marine Sanctuary.

        • Sgt Stitches
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
            Yeah... the little triangle flag is also part of the Geocaching logo...
            in fact, I was thinking you could incorporate the Geocaching logo into
            the square part on the "bay" side of the coin.... sort of the
            counterpart to the "ready to navigate" on the CCGC side.... it would
            depend on how deep it would have to go into the bay... I like the
            depth/underwater canyon effect you've got going... reminds of the big
            poster of the bay they sell all over the place in Monterey and in Santa
            Cruz.

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 25, 2005
              Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I added Sgt.
              Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version as I
              don't have access to the program right now.
              The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with illustrator
              we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the coin.
              Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think it looks
              good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
              Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can add it in
              the green section. Thoughts?

              Ben

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                It just occured to me that you could also make the coin square to
                compensate for the CCGC logo. A square coin would still be unique in
                shape, yet be easier to handle and you wouldn't have to worry about
                having them confiscated if you tried to take them on a plane (LoL!)

                Susie asked about level of detail for underwater canyons... these
                coins can be made with a LOT of detail... you could even do a 3D die
                (obviously not to scale) that would represent the canyons... caveat:
                you can't use color on 3D parts of the coin... Other option is to
                represent the canyons with more topo-like lines. Cost for color is
                the same for 1-9 colors... so you would want to limit the number of
                colors to less than 9.

                One last thought on a square coin ... you could call the
                coin "square coin sponge pants" ... (OK.. I'll crawl back under my
                rock... I've been watching too many cartoons with my kids)

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                  You crack me up Lance :D

                  That would be the ultimate sig item for Ben. Could call the
                  coin "Bob" for short.

                  Square would work, although I think a star shaped coin would stick
                  out a bit more (no pun intended).

                  I'd vote for the topo line look for the canyon, with some various
                  shades of greens and blues to mark the depths. I tried looking for
                  some bathymetry images on the USGS but all I could find was BW
                  images. Knocking out the reference to the Marine Sanctuary is no big
                  deal to me. I didn't realize the Sanctuary extended that far North.

                  Lance: I don't think TSA would give you a hard time about the coin
                  shape as long as you don't sharpen it ;)

                  Should there be a reference to "Shake Your Bootie" cache (like a
                  little flag on the bay side), since the topo part of the logo is from
                  that area? Hmmmm....is there a puzzle cache idea in there somewhere?

                  I'm not so keen on the numbering of coins, since so many end up in
                  collections anyway. I'm sure Marky could make some room on his
                  tracking site, especially if we bribe him with some coinage ;).

                  - Touchstone

                • Monty Groves
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                    Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your pockets....OK, back to the barn now

                    MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                      Hi CCGCers, I posted an image of a 4-point star design. You can
                      easily interpret what a square image may look like off of this.
                      Also, we can change the orientation of the bay image if we want. I
                      can also do up Sue's 8 point idea a little later(but I have a
                      suspicion she's got more skills at photoshop than I do =)).
                      So I tried to work a little on the Topo contour line feel by raising
                      a little of the "metal" between color intervals. This assumes no
                      relief between the different water layers, but instead a physical
                      break. But maybe I'll post an image of what relieved (reliefed?)
                      layers might look like.
                      I counted less than 9 colors on this back if we use the same green
                      in the logo and the land, and get double use out of the blue in the
                      logo.
                      Sue: I've got access to a pretty good USGS DEM on our school
                      database that I may play with to get a better canyon feel. It's a
                      huge file of course, and you probably have access to some, but I can
                      send it to you if you wanna work it.

                      1 more thing. I know we don't all live in Monterey & Santa Cruz,
                      what if instead of the MBNMS text we write out the towns we live in
                      as well as Monterey and Santa Cruz? Shout out to MARINA!!! Sorry
                      about that.

                      Lance/Mike: check out BOB

                      Maybe finish out the
                      points on the coin, like a five or six point star. Not sure how that
                      would look, but just an idea. Make it look like a Ninja fighting star
                      or something 8).

                      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
                      > Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your
                      > pockets....OK, back to the barn now
                      >
                      > MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
                      Behalf Of
> [...]
                      > >

                      > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"
                      <teambiggeeks@y...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I
                      added
                      > > Sgt.
                      > > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version
                      as I
                      > > > don't have access to the program right now.
                      > > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
                      > > illustrator
                      > > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the
                      coin.
                      > > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think
                      it
                      > > looks
                      > > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
                      > > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can

                    • David Werblo
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                        Hi All,
                        We have an 8 ft by 9 ft map of the area on our family
                        room wall which we created by using USGS maps. (See
                        attached). This is a collection of 16 paper maps plus
                        2 USGS scanned maps. The ocean map with depths was
                        custom created for us by the USGS. We can send someone
                        this color USGS map of the ocean showing depths if it
                        would be useful. Send request to werblo@....

                        Kathy

                        === message truncated ===

                        __________________________________
                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • David Werblo
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                          Of the pictures posted so far, I like the relief map
                          but think the geo symbol is too prominent and I prefer
                          the unusual shape on V2 and V3. The lettering on the
                          edge is a great idea. Trying to get all if the names
                          in would make it too cluttered and we would not want
                          to leave anyone out. Prunedale has lots of caches so
                          don't forget us!

                          __________________________________
                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                            Hi All,
                            So I'm going to attempt to post a redo of a draft of the coin with
                            some city names on there. I also added some depth to the logo side of
                            the coin to get an idea as to what it may look like. I think I can
                            make a more slick image of the bayside...given I find some time.

                            I've been a little distracted drawing up another coin for the
                            aforementioned CITO event. I did want to just go with a CITO logo,
                            but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I posted the
                            alternative I drew up since I incorporated our CCGC logo. I thought
                            I'd get the groups approval before using the logo. The quote on the
                            coin says "Kings and cabbages go back to compost, but good deeds stay
                            green forever." I thought it was appropriate. If no one has any
                            objections to the use of the logo for this CITO coin I'm going to get
                            the manufacture process started with this one at the end of this week
                            or beginning of next. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

                            Okay, enough procrastination for now. BGB

                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                              New CCGC version looks great :) Not sure I have anything to add to
                              that version.

                              As far as the CITO coin: I think it's really up to Susie on the CCGC
                              logo useage. Cool looking coin nonetheless. You might want to give
                              Susie some background on the RON group and maybe a link so she knows
                              what you're talking about.

                              BTW: Ian and I stopped by the Disc Golf Course off of General Jim
                              Moore Blvd today. A bit windy for the course (e.g. hard throwing
                              into the wind, but man! we could sure make them sail WITH the wind),
                              but Ian was totally stoked when we came across THIS course:

                              http://sports.csumb.edu/adventures/ropes%20course/ropescourse.htm

                              Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                              and think one of two things:

                              1. How could I hide a cache there?
                              2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                              LOL. I crack myself up sometimes :D

                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                > Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                                > and think one of two things:
                                >
                                > 1. How could I hide a cache there?
                                > 2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                                Isn't one of the first signs of addiction not being able to look at anything or go anywhere
                                without thinking about the thing you're addicted to? OK, everyone, I think we need to
                                have an intervention for Mike... He is starting (or is that continuing?) to show classic signs
                                of a serious addiction... ;-)

                                BTW, if you hold an event.... they will come....

                                Back on topic:
                                Both coins are looking great!
                                There. I've made my comments... I'm done and I even stayed on topic... at least for a short
                                while... :-D