Re: Caching in Salinas on Friday.

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
      Hi Lance,
      Man I wish I could join you! But, I'll be working tomorrow all day.
      Actually I'll only be about 5 mins from the admittedly lame cache I
      placed in Salinas called "Work Sucks"...how appropriate.
      Personally I find Salinas to be a bit of a wastelasd as far as caches
      go. A couple of valient attempts have been made...Like "Adobe" and
      Touchstone's "Frontal Lobotomoy" (which I still haven't found.

      I'd stick to the back side of Ft. Ord. I don't know if you've found
      these already, but a nice hour+, out and back hike, can be made if you
      park at the BLM entrance off of the 68 and go out to the "O'Well"
      cache and hit the "This old tree" both by the plunketts. You can then
      hike about a .5 mile past the parking spot to grab "Just Bluff n'
      rock", and then go get some refreshment at the Toro Cafe and log
      the "Itsy" cache. The seems like a long way for only 4 caches, but
      it's a great area and this particular loop has very little elevation
      change.

      Hope that helps!
      Biggeek Ben

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
        Hi Ben-

        Thanks for the tips. Depending on time and location, I may try those
        ones.

        I'm also considering "Area One" and "Planet Claire". Can anyone tell
        me if I can drive back to that area or should I just plan on parking
        near "Shards of Narsil" and bring a bike?

        -Lance

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
          You can drive back to those areas, but there is a very good chance
          you'll get escorted out by the Presidio coppers. You probably won't
          get a ticket, but I'd recommend the bike. I biked to both of those
          caches, almost all of it is accessible via blacktop. The entrance
          near "Shards" is the way to go for those!

          BGB