Caching in Salinas on Friday.

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
      Hi everyone-

      I'm driving for Cpl Kiwi's field trip to Salinas tomorrow (Friday
      9/22), and will have some free time in Salinas from around 10:00am to
      1:00pm. I was hoping to do a little caching instead of driving back
      and forth between Santa Cruz and Salinas.

      First of all, anyone interested in caching for a few hours tomorrow in
      Salinas or Fort Ord?

      Secondly, any "must find" caches out towards Salinas?

      -Lance
      (aka SGT Stitches)
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
        Hi Lance,
        Man I wish I could join you! But, I'll be working tomorrow all day.
        Actually I'll only be about 5 mins from the admittedly lame cache I
        placed in Salinas called "Work Sucks"...how appropriate.
        Personally I find Salinas to be a bit of a wastelasd as far as caches
        go. A couple of valient attempts have been made...Like "Adobe" and
        Touchstone's "Frontal Lobotomoy" (which I still haven't found.

        I'd stick to the back side of Ft. Ord. I don't know if you've found
        these already, but a nice hour+, out and back hike, can be made if you
        park at the BLM entrance off of the 68 and go out to the "O'Well"
        cache and hit the "This old tree" both by the plunketts. You can then
        hike about a .5 mile past the parking spot to grab "Just Bluff n'
        rock", and then go get some refreshment at the Toro Cafe and log
        the "Itsy" cache. The seems like a long way for only 4 caches, but
        it's a great area and this particular loop has very little elevation
        change.

        Hope that helps!
        Biggeek Ben

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
          Hi Ben-

          Thanks for the tips. Depending on time and location, I may try those
          ones.

          I'm also considering "Area One" and "Planet Claire". Can anyone tell
          me if I can drive back to that area or should I just plan on parking
          near "Shards of Narsil" and bring a bike?

          -Lance

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 22, 2005
            You can drive back to those areas, but there is a very good chance
            you'll get escorted out by the Presidio coppers. You probably won't
            get a ticket, but I'd recommend the bike. I biked to both of those
            caches, almost all of it is accessible via blacktop. The entrance
            near "Shards" is the way to go for those!

            BGB