Re: CCGA Geocoin

    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 21 7:51 PM
      Welcome back CBN. Hope you had a great summer.

      First draft looks great Ben. I have a couple of suggestions (takem or
      leavem).

      I'd use an actual image of Monterey Bay on the flip side. More detail
      and more color. This is what they did on the Idaho coin. A picture
      laminated on the surface of the coin. I think it looks pretty slick,
      but you can choose what looks best. I was looking for infrared or some
      image with more color, like Landsat or something, but I couldn't find
      anything.

      Making the coin symetrical would be cool too. Maybe finish out the
      points on the coin, like a five or six point star. Not sure how that
      would look, but just an idea. Make it look like a Ninja fighting star
      or something 8).

      - Touchstone

      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 22 2:27 PM
        Hi All, I posted two slight variations on the 1st design in the photos
        section. I only had time to play with text today, but I'll see if I
        can find some time this weekend to play around some more.

        Hey Mike, I looked at the Idaho coin you were talking abuot to get an
        idea about the real image overlay. Personally, I don't really care for
        it...I thought it kind of looked like those t-shirts you get at the
        mall where they transfer a photo and then put "WANTED" above it or
        something. But that's just me. I'm enjoying the creative process, and
        I'm going to see if I can grab a LANDSAT image tonight to make an
        example.

        BGB

        > 3. Make the coin unique in someway. Either in the look or in the
        > shape. Round coins don't stick out much. Idaho has a octagon shaped
        > coin that is unusual, and there's a few others that have interesting
        > shapes. Colored enamel makes them stand out a bit more.

        > 3. Some reference to the Monterey bay Marine Sanctuary.

      • Kealia
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 23 10:54 PM
          I was working on a similar design, but yours came out much better. I
          think if we're (you're) going to add stars for SC and Monterey they
          need to be labeled as such.

          Other than that, I like the look. Again, if you want/need help
          working with the coin maker(s) jsut let me know.

          Best,
          Ron

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 24 6:03 AM
            Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give it more of a "geocaching"
            feel.

            ..... look-ing goooood!

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 24 11:38 AM
              Wow, this is fun. Okay, I thought I'd summarize some of our ideas
              so far for some other versions to consider.
              - LANDSAT image of bay
              - Symmetrical ninja-staresq design
              - Waypoints instead of stars
              - Labeled cities

              I've got a Magellan unit, but I used to have a Garmin Vista...Lance,
              I assume you're refering to the waypoint used in the garmin which is
              like a little triangle on a pole?
              Does anyone like the idea of labelling the cities as you would in a
              GPS? i.e. abbreviated "MRY" & "SCRUZ"? Just a thought.
              Also, should we incorporate the year somewhere on there?

              --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Lance" <sgt_stitches@s...> wrote:
              > Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give
              it more of a "geocaching"
              > feel.
              >
              > ..... look-ing goooood!
              >

              > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...>
              wrote:
              > > Hi All, I posted two slight variations on the 1st design in the
              photos
              > > section. I only had time to play with text today, but I'll see
              if I
              > > can find some time this weekend to play around some more.
              > >
              > > Hey Mike, I looked at the Idaho coin you were talking abuot to
              get an
              > > idea about the real image overlay. Personally, I don't really
              care for
              > > it...I thought it kind of looked like those t-shirts you get at
              the
              > > mall where they transfer a photo and then put "WANTED" above it
              or
              > > something. But that's just me. I'm enjoying the creative
              process, and
              > > I'm going to see if I can grab a LANDSAT image tonight to make
              an
              > > example.
              > >
              > > BGB
              > >

              > > > 3. Make the coin unique in someway. Either in the look or in
              the
              > > > shape. Round coins don't stick out much. Idaho has a octagon
              shaped
              > > > coin that is unusual, and there's a few others that have
              interesting
              > > > shapes. Colored enamel makes them stand out a bit more.
              > >
              > > > 3. Some reference to the Monterey bay Marine Sanctuary.

            • Sgt Stitches
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 24 11:56 AM
                Yeah... the little triangle flag is also part of the Geocaching logo...
                in fact, I was thinking you could incorporate the Geocaching logo into
                the square part on the "bay" side of the coin.... sort of the
                counterpart to the "ready to navigate" on the CCGC side.... it would
                depend on how deep it would have to go into the bay... I like the
                depth/underwater canyon effect you've got going... reminds of the big
                poster of the bay they sell all over the place in Monterey and in Santa
                Cruz.

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 25 5:04 PM
                  Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I added Sgt.
                  Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version as I
                  don't have access to the program right now.
                  The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with illustrator
                  we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the coin.
                  Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think it looks
                  good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
                  Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can add it in
                  the green section. Thoughts?

                  Ben

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 26 3:54 PM
                    It just occured to me that you could also make the coin square to
                    compensate for the CCGC logo. A square coin would still be unique in
                    shape, yet be easier to handle and you wouldn't have to worry about
                    having them confiscated if you tried to take them on a plane (LoL!)

                    Susie asked about level of detail for underwater canyons... these
                    coins can be made with a LOT of detail... you could even do a 3D die
                    (obviously not to scale) that would represent the canyons... caveat:
                    you can't use color on 3D parts of the coin... Other option is to
                    represent the canyons with more topo-like lines. Cost for color is
                    the same for 1-9 colors... so you would want to limit the number of
                    colors to less than 9.

                    One last thought on a square coin ... you could call the
                    coin "square coin sponge pants" ... (OK.. I'll crawl back under my
                    rock... I've been watching too many cartoons with my kids)

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 26 5:10 PM
                      You crack me up Lance :D

                      That would be the ultimate sig item for Ben. Could call the
                      coin "Bob" for short.

                      Square would work, although I think a star shaped coin would stick
                      out a bit more (no pun intended).

                      I'd vote for the topo line look for the canyon, with some various
                      shades of greens and blues to mark the depths. I tried looking for
                      some bathymetry images on the USGS but all I could find was BW
                      images. Knocking out the reference to the Marine Sanctuary is no big
                      deal to me. I didn't realize the Sanctuary extended that far North.

                      Lance: I don't think TSA would give you a hard time about the coin
                      shape as long as you don't sharpen it ;)

                      Should there be a reference to "Shake Your Bootie" cache (like a
                      little flag on the bay side), since the topo part of the logo is from
                      that area? Hmmmm....is there a puzzle cache idea in there somewhere?

                      I'm not so keen on the numbering of coins, since so many end up in
                      collections anyway. I'm sure Marky could make some room on his
                      tracking site, especially if we bribe him with some coinage ;).

                      - Touchstone

                    • Monty Groves
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 26 5:26 PM
                        Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your pockets....OK, back to the barn now

                        MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)

                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 26 7:54 PM
                          Hi CCGCers, I posted an image of a 4-point star design. You can
                          easily interpret what a square image may look like off of this.
                          Also, we can change the orientation of the bay image if we want. I
                          can also do up Sue's 8 point idea a little later(but I have a
                          suspicion she's got more skills at photoshop than I do =)).
                          So I tried to work a little on the Topo contour line feel by raising
                          a little of the "metal" between color intervals. This assumes no
                          relief between the different water layers, but instead a physical
                          break. But maybe I'll post an image of what relieved (reliefed?)
                          layers might look like.
                          I counted less than 9 colors on this back if we use the same green
                          in the logo and the land, and get double use out of the blue in the
                          logo.
                          Sue: I've got access to a pretty good USGS DEM on our school
                          database that I may play with to get a better canyon feel. It's a
                          huge file of course, and you probably have access to some, but I can
                          send it to you if you wanna work it.

                          1 more thing. I know we don't all live in Monterey & Santa Cruz,
                          what if instead of the MBNMS text we write out the towns we live in
                          as well as Monterey and Santa Cruz? Shout out to MARINA!!! Sorry
                          about that.

                          Lance/Mike: check out BOB

                          --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
                          > Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your
                          > pockets....OK, back to the barn now
                          >
                          > MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
                          Behalf Of
> [...]
                          > >

                          > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"
                          <teambiggeeks@y...>
                          > > wrote:
                          > > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I
                          added
                          > > Sgt.
                          > > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version
                          as I
                          > > > don't have access to the program right now.
                          > > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
                          > > illustrator
                          > > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the
                          coin.
                          > > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think
                          it
                          > > looks
                          > > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
                          > > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can

                        • David Werblo
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                            Hi All,
                            We have an 8 ft by 9 ft map of the area on our family
                            room wall which we created by using USGS maps. (See
                            attached). This is a collection of 16 paper maps plus
                            2 USGS scanned maps. The ocean map with depths was
                            custom created for us by the USGS. We can send someone
                            this color USGS map of the ocean showing depths if it
                            would be useful. Send request to werblo@....

                            Kathy

                            === message truncated ===

                            __________________________________
                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • David Werblo
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                              Of the pictures posted so far, I like the relief map
                              but think the geo symbol is too prominent and I prefer
                              the unusual shape on V2 and V3. The lettering on the
                              edge is a great idea. Trying to get all if the names
                              in would make it too cluttered and we would not want
                              to leave anyone out. Prunedale has lots of caches so
                              don't forget us!

                              __________________________________
                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                Hi All,
                                So I'm going to attempt to post a redo of a draft of the coin with
                                some city names on there. I also added some depth to the logo side of
                                the coin to get an idea as to what it may look like. I think I can
                                make a more slick image of the bayside...given I find some time.

                                I've been a little distracted drawing up another coin for the
                                aforementioned CITO event. I did want to just go with a CITO logo,
                                but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I posted the
                                alternative I drew up since I incorporated our CCGC logo. I thought
                                I'd get the groups approval before using the logo. The quote on the
                                coin says "Kings and cabbages go back to compost, but good deeds stay
                                green forever." I thought it was appropriate. If no one has any
                                objections to the use of the logo for this CITO coin I'm going to get
                                the manufacture process started with this one at the end of this week
                                or beginning of next. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

                                Okay, enough procrastination for now. BGB

                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                  New CCGC version looks great :) Not sure I have anything to add to
                                  that version.

                                  As far as the CITO coin: I think it's really up to Susie on the CCGC
                                  logo useage. Cool looking coin nonetheless. You might want to give
                                  Susie some background on the RON group and maybe a link so she knows
                                  what you're talking about.

                                  BTW: Ian and I stopped by the Disc Golf Course off of General Jim
                                  Moore Blvd today. A bit windy for the course (e.g. hard throwing
                                  into the wind, but man! we could sure make them sail WITH the wind),
                                  but Ian was totally stoked when we came across THIS course:

                                  http://sports.csumb.edu/adventures/ropes%20course/ropescourse.htm

                                  Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                                  and think one of two things:

                                  1. How could I hide a cache there?
                                  2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                                  LOL. I crack myself up sometimes :D

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                    > Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                                    > and think one of two things:
                                    >
                                    > 1. How could I hide a cache there?
                                    > 2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                                    Isn't one of the first signs of addiction not being able to look at anything or go anywhere
                                    without thinking about the thing you're addicted to? OK, everyone, I think we need to
                                    have an intervention for Mike... He is starting (or is that continuing?) to show classic signs
                                    of a serious addiction... ;-)

                                    BTW, if you hold an event.... they will come....

                                    Back on topic:
                                    Both coins are looking great!
                                    There. I've made my comments... I'm done and I even stayed on topic... at least for a short
                                    while... :-D