Re: [CCGC] Re: CCGA Geocoin

  • Jenn Oates
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
      Plus, if people across the country know you're minting a coin, you're going to get requests to buy coins...lots of coins.

      On Sep 21, 2005, at 2:02 PM, Lance wrote:

      Having just ordered a personal coin (due to arrive in about two
      weeks... but shhhhhh!  don't tell anybody else) I would love to help
      out with a CCGC coin!  Touchstone is right though... it is not cheap!

      There are coin manufacturers out there who will make odd shaped coins
      (EG: recent "Dog Bone" geocoin).. so you could actually make the coin
      the shape of the CCGC logo (more expensive)... the question is what
      to do on the other side of the coin to take into account the odd
      shape... You could also just make the logo fit within a circle and
      use the extra space to put in additional detail.  More detail does
      not necessarily mean more expensive... cost is mostly driven by
      quantity, 3D vs 2D dies, color, and size.

      3D dies are more expensive than 2D, but the effect if much better
      (eg:  The train side of the Santa Cruz coin is 3D, the lighthouse is
      2D)

      There is a large price break at 300 coins (about $1 per coin)... and
      I don't think you'd have any trouble at all selling that many, even
      limiting it to locals.  There were 450 Santa Cruz coins made, all
      were pre-sold to locals only.  Final cost was less than $5 per coin.

      You can now have the group coins tracked on geocaching.com for a
      minimum 500 coins at $1.50 per coin... again... more cost.

      I don't think offering the coin for general sale would bring the cost
      down that much... (Dave's coin club alone would probably order 120)

      For the same price, you can also have the coins minted in different
      metals... say, polished gold for locals... polished silver for
      others...

      As far as financing... its a lot of money to put out up front, but if
      $$ were collected for pre-sales of coins, whoever did the ordering
      wouldn't have to front so much cash.

      I'm late for a meeting... but I'd love to talk more about getting a
      CCGC geocoin together!

      -Lance
      (aka Sgt Stitches)

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "touchstone12002" <msmelser@m...> wrote:
      > OK, the Wave is out.  Actually, the Monterey bay and stars was
      Ben's
      > idea to start with.
      >
      > I think it's worth exploring the Raygun design and see if there's a
      > shape that would accomodate the "Shake Your Bootie" topo map.  If
      > nothing else, I think it would make the coin even MORE distinctive.
      >
      > Have a good trip Susie, and be safe.
      >
      > - Touchstone
      >
      > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...>
      wrote:
      > > Okay, we've seen Sgt. Stitches collection.  We've got the desire
      for
      > > coins out there, and we're semi-organized.  Why haven't we made a
      > coin
      > > yet?
      > >
      > > The biggeeks are pretty daggone broke, but I'm sure we could
      wrangle
      > > up like $50-$75 to pitch in for some group coins.  I'm going to
      use
      > my
      > > procrastination time to photoshop up a coin.  I'm initially
      thinking
      > > something simple, like the monterey bay with stars at Santa Cruz
      and
      > > Monterey on the front, and of course Raygun's logo on the back.
      Will
      > > the topo contour lines in the logo come out?
      > >
      > > Whew, I'm getting excited!!!
      > >
      > > BG Ben

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Kealia
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
        I'd love to help out as well. Having done the Santa Cruz coin and
        working with another company now on another coin (not a personal
        one, but....well. wait and see), here's my two cents:

        1) Keep the shape of the logo for the coin itself. It will make it
        stand out
        2) The topo should not be a problem on the coin and as Lance said it
        shouldn't affect pricing
        3) Suggestions on pricing/metals/etc - sell them locally for trade-
        ability (small run, one metal) - sell them outside the group at a
        higher price in another metal to help offset cost for locals (many
        groups do this even though they don't post in the forums as such)
        4) I'm happy to help out as well - just let me know. I don't want to
        step in and step on any toes
        5) Just need a few ideas for the obverse side and we can make this
        happen quite easily

        - Ron
        (Kealia)

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
          Okay, here's what I was able to come up with, based off of the ideas
          bouncing around. I wasn't able to get access to Illustrator today,
          but the text I was going to place on the bay-side was "WORLD FAMOUS"
          in the straight sections then wrap "MONTEREY BAY NATIONAL MARINE
          SANCTUARY". Again these are just ideas I came up with to keep from
          finishing my thesis work!

          Now...how the heck to you attach a pic?

          BG Ben
          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
            Image is in the "photos" link on the left.

            BGB
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
              Welcome back CBN. Hope you had a great summer.

              First draft looks great Ben. I have a couple of suggestions (takem or
              leavem).

              I'd use an actual image of Monterey Bay on the flip side. More detail
              and more color. This is what they did on the Idaho coin. A picture
              laminated on the surface of the coin. I think it looks pretty slick,
              but you can choose what looks best. I was looking for infrared or some
              image with more color, like Landsat or something, but I couldn't find
              anything.

              Making the coin symetrical would be cool too. Maybe finish out the
              points on the coin, like a five or six point star. Not sure how that
              would look, but just an idea. Make it look like a Ninja fighting star
              or something 8).

              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 22, 2005
                Hi All, I posted two slight variations on the 1st design in the photos
                section. I only had time to play with text today, but I'll see if I
                can find some time this weekend to play around some more.

                Hey Mike, I looked at the Idaho coin you were talking abuot to get an
                idea about the real image overlay. Personally, I don't really care for
                it...I thought it kind of looked like those t-shirts you get at the
                mall where they transfer a photo and then put "WANTED" above it or
                something. But that's just me. I'm enjoying the creative process, and
                I'm going to see if I can grab a LANDSAT image tonight to make an
                example.

                BGB

                > 3. Make the coin unique in someway. Either in the look or in the
                > shape. Round coins don't stick out much. Idaho has a octagon shaped
                > coin that is unusual, and there's a few others that have interesting
                > shapes. Colored enamel makes them stand out a bit more.

                > 3. Some reference to the Monterey bay Marine Sanctuary.

              • Kealia
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 23, 2005
                  I was working on a similar design, but yours came out much better. I
                  think if we're (you're) going to add stars for SC and Monterey they
                  need to be labeled as such.

                  Other than that, I like the look. Again, if you want/need help
                  working with the coin maker(s) jsut let me know.

                  Best,
                  Ron

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
                    Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give it more of a "geocaching"
                    feel.

                    ..... look-ing goooood!

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
                      Wow, this is fun. Okay, I thought I'd summarize some of our ideas
                      so far for some other versions to consider.
                      - LANDSAT image of bay
                      - Symmetrical ninja-staresq design
                      - Waypoints instead of stars
                      - Labeled cities

                      I've got a Magellan unit, but I used to have a Garmin Vista...Lance,
                      I assume you're refering to the waypoint used in the garmin which is
                      like a little triangle on a pole?
                      Does anyone like the idea of labelling the cities as you would in a
                      GPS? i.e. abbreviated "MRY" & "SCRUZ"? Just a thought.
                      Also, should we incorporate the year somewhere on there?

                      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Lance" <sgt_stitches@s...> wrote:
                      > Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give
                      it more of a "geocaching"
                      > feel.
                      >
                      > ..... look-ing goooood!
                      >

                      > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...>
                      wrote:
                      > > Hi All, I posted two slight variations on the 1st design in the
                      photos
                      > > section. I only had time to play with text today, but I'll see
                      if I
                      > > can find some time this weekend to play around some more.
                      > >
                      > > Hey Mike, I looked at the Idaho coin you were talking abuot to
                      get an
                      > > idea about the real image overlay. Personally, I don't really
                      care for
                      > > it...I thought it kind of looked like those t-shirts you get at
                      the
                      > > mall where they transfer a photo and then put "WANTED" above it
                      or
                      > > something. But that's just me. I'm enjoying the creative
                      process, and
                      > > I'm going to see if I can grab a LANDSAT image tonight to make
                      an
                      > > example.
                      > >
                      > > BGB
                      > >

                      > > > 3. Make the coin unique in someway. Either in the look or in
                      the
                      > > > shape. Round coins don't stick out much. Idaho has a octagon
                      shaped
                      > > > coin that is unusual, and there's a few others that have
                      interesting
                      > > > shapes. Colored enamel makes them stand out a bit more.
                      > >
                      > > > 3. Some reference to the Monterey bay Marine Sanctuary.

                    • Sgt Stitches
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
                        Yeah... the little triangle flag is also part of the Geocaching logo...
                        in fact, I was thinking you could incorporate the Geocaching logo into
                        the square part on the "bay" side of the coin.... sort of the
                        counterpart to the "ready to navigate" on the CCGC side.... it would
                        depend on how deep it would have to go into the bay... I like the
                        depth/underwater canyon effect you've got going... reminds of the big
                        poster of the bay they sell all over the place in Monterey and in Santa
                        Cruz.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 25, 2005
                          Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I added Sgt.
                          Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version as I
                          don't have access to the program right now.
                          The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with illustrator
                          we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the coin.
                          Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think it looks
                          good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
                          Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can add it in
                          the green section. Thoughts?

                          Ben

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                            It just occured to me that you could also make the coin square to
                            compensate for the CCGC logo. A square coin would still be unique in
                            shape, yet be easier to handle and you wouldn't have to worry about
                            having them confiscated if you tried to take them on a plane (LoL!)

                            Susie asked about level of detail for underwater canyons... these
                            coins can be made with a LOT of detail... you could even do a 3D die
                            (obviously not to scale) that would represent the canyons... caveat:
                            you can't use color on 3D parts of the coin... Other option is to
                            represent the canyons with more topo-like lines. Cost for color is
                            the same for 1-9 colors... so you would want to limit the number of
                            colors to less than 9.

                            One last thought on a square coin ... you could call the
                            coin "square coin sponge pants" ... (OK.. I'll crawl back under my
                            rock... I've been watching too many cartoons with my kids)

                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                              You crack me up Lance :D

                              That would be the ultimate sig item for Ben. Could call the
                              coin "Bob" for short.

                              Square would work, although I think a star shaped coin would stick
                              out a bit more (no pun intended).

                              I'd vote for the topo line look for the canyon, with some various
                              shades of greens and blues to mark the depths. I tried looking for
                              some bathymetry images on the USGS but all I could find was BW
                              images. Knocking out the reference to the Marine Sanctuary is no big
                              deal to me. I didn't realize the Sanctuary extended that far North.

                              Lance: I don't think TSA would give you a hard time about the coin
                              shape as long as you don't sharpen it ;)

                              Should there be a reference to "Shake Your Bootie" cache (like a
                              little flag on the bay side), since the topo part of the logo is from
                              that area? Hmmmm....is there a puzzle cache idea in there somewhere?

                              I'm not so keen on the numbering of coins, since so many end up in
                              collections anyway. I'm sure Marky could make some room on his
                              tracking site, especially if we bribe him with some coinage ;).

                              - Touchstone

                            • Monty Groves
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                                Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your pockets....OK, back to the barn now

                                MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)

                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                                  Hi CCGCers, I posted an image of a 4-point star design. You can
                                  easily interpret what a square image may look like off of this.
                                  Also, we can change the orientation of the bay image if we want. I
                                  can also do up Sue's 8 point idea a little later(but I have a
                                  suspicion she's got more skills at photoshop than I do =)).
                                  So I tried to work a little on the Topo contour line feel by raising
                                  a little of the "metal" between color intervals. This assumes no
                                  relief between the different water layers, but instead a physical
                                  break. But maybe I'll post an image of what relieved (reliefed?)
                                  layers might look like.
                                  I counted less than 9 colors on this back if we use the same green
                                  in the logo and the land, and get double use out of the blue in the
                                  logo.
                                  Sue: I've got access to a pretty good USGS DEM on our school
                                  database that I may play with to get a better canyon feel. It's a
                                  huge file of course, and you probably have access to some, but I can
                                  send it to you if you wanna work it.

                                  1 more thing. I know we don't all live in Monterey & Santa Cruz,
                                  what if instead of the MBNMS text we write out the towns we live in
                                  as well as Monterey and Santa Cruz? Shout out to MARINA!!! Sorry
                                  about that.

                                  Lance/Mike: check out BOB

                                  --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
                                  > Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your
                                  > pockets....OK, back to the barn now
                                  >
                                  > MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
                                  Behalf Of
> [...]
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"
                                  <teambiggeeks@y...>
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I
                                  added
                                  > > Sgt.
                                  > > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version
                                  as I
                                  > > > don't have access to the program right now.
                                  > > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
                                  > > illustrator
                                  > > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the
                                  coin.
                                  > > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think
                                  it
                                  > > looks
                                  > > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
                                  > > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can

                                • David Werblo
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                    Hi All,
                                    We have an 8 ft by 9 ft map of the area on our family
                                    room wall which we created by using USGS maps. (See
                                    attached). This is a collection of 16 paper maps plus
                                    2 USGS scanned maps. The ocean map with depths was
                                    custom created for us by the USGS. We can send someone
                                    this color USGS map of the ocean showing depths if it
                                    would be useful. Send request to werblo@....

                                    Kathy

                                    === message truncated ===

                                    __________________________________
                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • David Werblo
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                      Of the pictures posted so far, I like the relief map
                                      but think the geo symbol is too prominent and I prefer
                                      the unusual shape on V2 and V3. The lettering on the
                                      edge is a great idea. Trying to get all if the names
                                      in would make it too cluttered and we would not want
                                      to leave anyone out. Prunedale has lots of caches so
                                      don't forget us!

                                      __________________________________
                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                        Hi All,
                                        So I'm going to attempt to post a redo of a draft of the coin with
                                        some city names on there. I also added some depth to the logo side of
                                        the coin to get an idea as to what it may look like. I think I can
                                        make a more slick image of the bayside...given I find some time.

                                        I've been a little distracted drawing up another coin for the
                                        aforementioned CITO event. I did want to just go with a CITO logo,
                                        but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I posted the
                                        alternative I drew up since I incorporated our CCGC logo. I thought
                                        I'd get the groups approval before using the logo. The quote on the
                                        coin says "Kings and cabbages go back to compost, but good deeds stay
                                        green forever." I thought it was appropriate. If no one has any
                                        objections to the use of the logo for this CITO coin I'm going to get
                                        the manufacture process started with this one at the end of this week
                                        or beginning of next. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

                                        Okay, enough procrastination for now. BGB

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                          New CCGC version looks great :) Not sure I have anything to add to
                                          that version.

                                          As far as the CITO coin: I think it's really up to Susie on the CCGC
                                          logo useage. Cool looking coin nonetheless. You might want to give
                                          Susie some background on the RON group and maybe a link so she knows
                                          what you're talking about.

                                          BTW: Ian and I stopped by the Disc Golf Course off of General Jim
                                          Moore Blvd today. A bit windy for the course (e.g. hard throwing
                                          into the wind, but man! we could sure make them sail WITH the wind),
                                          but Ian was totally stoked when we came across THIS course:

                                          http://sports.csumb.edu/adventures/ropes%20course/ropescourse.htm

                                          Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                                          and think one of two things:

                                          1. How could I hide a cache there?
                                          2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                                          LOL. I crack myself up sometimes :D

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                            > Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                                            > and think one of two things:
                                            >
                                            > 1. How could I hide a cache there?
                                            > 2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                                            Isn't one of the first signs of addiction not being able to look at anything or go anywhere
                                            without thinking about the thing you're addicted to? OK, everyone, I think we need to
                                            have an intervention for Mike... He is starting (or is that continuing?) to show classic signs
                                            of a serious addiction... ;-)

                                            BTW, if you hold an event.... they will come....

                                            Back on topic:
                                            Both coins are looking great!
                                            There. I've made my comments... I'm done and I even stayed on topic... at least for a short
                                            while... :-D