Re: CCGA Geocoin

    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
      Having just ordered a personal coin (due to arrive in about two
      weeks... but shhhhhh! don't tell anybody else) I would love to help
      out with a CCGC coin! Touchstone is right though... it is not cheap!

      There are coin manufacturers out there who will make odd shaped coins
      (EG: recent "Dog Bone" geocoin).. so you could actually make the coin
      the shape of the CCGC logo (more expensive)... the question is what
      to do on the other side of the coin to take into account the odd
      shape... You could also just make the logo fit within a circle and
      use the extra space to put in additional detail. More detail does
      not necessarily mean more expensive... cost is mostly driven by
      quantity, 3D vs 2D dies, color, and size.

      3D dies are more expensive than 2D, but the effect if much better
      (eg: The train side of the Santa Cruz coin is 3D, the lighthouse is
      2D)

      There is a large price break at 300 coins (about $1 per coin)... and
      I don't think you'd have any trouble at all selling that many, even
      limiting it to locals. There were 450 Santa Cruz coins made, all
      were pre-sold to locals only. Final cost was less than $5 per coin.

      You can now have the group coins tracked on geocaching.com for a
      minimum 500 coins at $1.50 per coin... again... more cost.

      I don't think offering the coin for general sale would bring the cost
      down that much... (Dave's coin club alone would probably order 120)

      For the same price, you can also have the coins minted in different
      metals... say, polished gold for locals... polished silver for
      others...

      As far as financing... its a lot of money to put out up front, but if
      $$ were collected for pre-sales of coins, whoever did the ordering
      wouldn't have to front so much cash.

      I'm late for a meeting... but I'd love to talk more about getting a
      CCGC geocoin together!

      -Lance
      (aka Sgt Stitches)

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "touchstone12002" <msmelser@m...> wrote:
      > OK, the Wave is out. Actually, the Monterey bay and stars was
      Ben's
      > idea to start with.
      >
      > I think it's worth exploring the Raygun design and see if there's a
      > shape that would accomodate the "Shake Your Bootie" topo map. If
      > nothing else, I think it would make the coin even MORE distinctive.
      >
      > Have a good trip Susie, and be safe.
      >
      > - Touchstone
      >
      > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...>
      wrote:
      > > Okay, we've seen Sgt. Stitches collection. We've got the desire
      for
      > > coins out there, and we're semi-organized. Why haven't we made a
      > coin
      > > yet?
      > >
      > > The biggeeks are pretty daggone broke, but I'm sure we could
      wrangle
      > > up like $50-$75 to pitch in for some group coins. I'm going to
      use
      > my
      > > procrastination time to photoshop up a coin. I'm initially
      thinking
      > > something simple, like the monterey bay with stars at Santa Cruz
      and
      > > Monterey on the front, and of course Raygun's logo on the back.
      Will
      > > the topo contour lines in the logo come out?
      > >
      > > Whew, I'm getting excited!!!
      > >
      > > BG Ben
    • Jenn Oates
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
        Plus, if people across the country know you're minting a coin, you're going to get requests to buy coins...lots of coins.

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Kealia
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
          I'd love to help out as well. Having done the Santa Cruz coin and
          working with another company now on another coin (not a personal
          one, but....well. wait and see), here's my two cents:

          1) Keep the shape of the logo for the coin itself. It will make it
          stand out
          2) The topo should not be a problem on the coin and as Lance said it
          shouldn't affect pricing
          3) Suggestions on pricing/metals/etc - sell them locally for trade-
          ability (small run, one metal) - sell them outside the group at a
          higher price in another metal to help offset cost for locals (many
          groups do this even though they don't post in the forums as such)
          4) I'm happy to help out as well - just let me know. I don't want to
          step in and step on any toes
          5) Just need a few ideas for the obverse side and we can make this
          happen quite easily

          - Ron
          (Kealia)

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
            Okay, here's what I was able to come up with, based off of the ideas
            bouncing around. I wasn't able to get access to Illustrator today,
            but the text I was going to place on the bay-side was "WORLD FAMOUS"
            in the straight sections then wrap "MONTEREY BAY NATIONAL MARINE
            SANCTUARY". Again these are just ideas I came up with to keep from
            finishing my thesis work!

            Now...how the heck to you attach a pic?

            BG Ben
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
              Image is in the "photos" link on the left.

              BGB
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
                Welcome back CBN. Hope you had a great summer.

                First draft looks great Ben. I have a couple of suggestions (takem or
                leavem).

                I'd use an actual image of Monterey Bay on the flip side. More detail
                and more color. This is what they did on the Idaho coin. A picture
                laminated on the surface of the coin. I think it looks pretty slick,
                but you can choose what looks best. I was looking for infrared or some
                image with more color, like Landsat or something, but I couldn't find
                anything.

                Making the coin symetrical would be cool too. Maybe finish out the
                points on the coin, like a five or six point star. Not sure how that
                would look, but just an idea. Make it look like a Ninja fighting star
                or something 8).

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 22, 2005
                  Hi All, I posted two slight variations on the 1st design in the photos
                  section. I only had time to play with text today, but I'll see if I
                  can find some time this weekend to play around some more.

                  Hey Mike, I looked at the Idaho coin you were talking abuot to get an
                  idea about the real image overlay. Personally, I don't really care for
                  it...I thought it kind of looked like those t-shirts you get at the
                  mall where they transfer a photo and then put "WANTED" above it or
                  something. But that's just me. I'm enjoying the creative process, and
                  I'm going to see if I can grab a LANDSAT image tonight to make an
                  example.

                  BGB

                  > 3. Make the coin unique in someway. Either in the look or in the
                  > shape. Round coins don't stick out much. Idaho has a octagon shaped
                  > coin that is unusual, and there's a few others that have interesting
                  > shapes. Colored enamel makes them stand out a bit more.

                  > 3. Some reference to the Monterey bay Marine Sanctuary.

                • Kealia
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 23, 2005
                    I was working on a similar design, but yours came out much better. I
                    think if we're (you're) going to add stars for SC and Monterey they
                    need to be labeled as such.

                    Other than that, I like the look. Again, if you want/need help
                    working with the coin maker(s) jsut let me know.

                    Best,
                    Ron

                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
                      Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give it more of a "geocaching"
                      feel.

                      ..... look-ing goooood!

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
                        Wow, this is fun. Okay, I thought I'd summarize some of our ideas
                        so far for some other versions to consider.
                        - LANDSAT image of bay
                        - Symmetrical ninja-staresq design
                        - Waypoints instead of stars
                        - Labeled cities

                        I've got a Magellan unit, but I used to have a Garmin Vista...Lance,
                        I assume you're refering to the waypoint used in the garmin which is
                        like a little triangle on a pole?
                        Does anyone like the idea of labelling the cities as you would in a
                        GPS? i.e. abbreviated "MRY" & "SCRUZ"? Just a thought.
                        Also, should we incorporate the year somewhere on there?

                        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Lance" <sgt_stitches@s...> wrote:
                        > Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give
                        it more of a "geocaching"
                        > feel.
                        >
                        > ..... look-ing goooood!
                        >

                        > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > > Hi All, I posted two slight variations on the 1st design in the
                        photos
                        > > section. I only had time to play with text today, but I'll see
                        if I
                        > > can find some time this weekend to play around some more.
                        > >
                        > > Hey Mike, I looked at the Idaho coin you were talking abuot to
                        get an
                        > > idea about the real image overlay. Personally, I don't really
                        care for
                        > > it...I thought it kind of looked like those t-shirts you get at
                        the
                        > > mall where they transfer a photo and then put "WANTED" above it
                        or
                        > > something. But that's just me. I'm enjoying the creative
                        process, and
                        > > I'm going to see if I can grab a LANDSAT image tonight to make
                        an
                        > > example.
                        > >
                        > > BGB
                        > >

                        > > > 3. Make the coin unique in someway. Either in the look or in
                        the
                        > > > shape. Round coins don't stick out much. Idaho has a octagon
                        shaped
                        > > > coin that is unusual, and there's a few others that have
                        interesting
                        > > > shapes. Colored enamel makes them stand out a bit more.
                        > >
                        > > > 3. Some reference to the Monterey bay Marine Sanctuary.

                      • Sgt Stitches
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
                          Yeah... the little triangle flag is also part of the Geocaching logo...
                          in fact, I was thinking you could incorporate the Geocaching logo into
                          the square part on the "bay" side of the coin.... sort of the
                          counterpart to the "ready to navigate" on the CCGC side.... it would
                          depend on how deep it would have to go into the bay... I like the
                          depth/underwater canyon effect you've got going... reminds of the big
                          poster of the bay they sell all over the place in Monterey and in Santa
                          Cruz.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 25, 2005
                            Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I added Sgt.
                            Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version as I
                            don't have access to the program right now.
                            The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with illustrator
                            we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the coin.
                            Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think it looks
                            good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
                            Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can add it in
                            the green section. Thoughts?

                            Ben

                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                              It just occured to me that you could also make the coin square to
                              compensate for the CCGC logo. A square coin would still be unique in
                              shape, yet be easier to handle and you wouldn't have to worry about
                              having them confiscated if you tried to take them on a plane (LoL!)

                              Susie asked about level of detail for underwater canyons... these
                              coins can be made with a LOT of detail... you could even do a 3D die
                              (obviously not to scale) that would represent the canyons... caveat:
                              you can't use color on 3D parts of the coin... Other option is to
                              represent the canyons with more topo-like lines. Cost for color is
                              the same for 1-9 colors... so you would want to limit the number of
                              colors to less than 9.

                              One last thought on a square coin ... you could call the
                              coin "square coin sponge pants" ... (OK.. I'll crawl back under my
                              rock... I've been watching too many cartoons with my kids)

                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                                You crack me up Lance :D

                                That would be the ultimate sig item for Ben. Could call the
                                coin "Bob" for short.

                                Square would work, although I think a star shaped coin would stick
                                out a bit more (no pun intended).

                                I'd vote for the topo line look for the canyon, with some various
                                shades of greens and blues to mark the depths. I tried looking for
                                some bathymetry images on the USGS but all I could find was BW
                                images. Knocking out the reference to the Marine Sanctuary is no big
                                deal to me. I didn't realize the Sanctuary extended that far North.

                                Lance: I don't think TSA would give you a hard time about the coin
                                shape as long as you don't sharpen it ;)

                                Should there be a reference to "Shake Your Bootie" cache (like a
                                little flag on the bay side), since the topo part of the logo is from
                                that area? Hmmmm....is there a puzzle cache idea in there somewhere?

                                I'm not so keen on the numbering of coins, since so many end up in
                                collections anyway. I'm sure Marky could make some room on his
                                tracking site, especially if we bribe him with some coinage ;).

                                - Touchstone

                              • Monty Groves
                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                                  Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your pockets....OK, back to the barn now

                                  MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                                    Hi CCGCers, I posted an image of a 4-point star design. You can
                                    easily interpret what a square image may look like off of this.
                                    Also, we can change the orientation of the bay image if we want. I
                                    can also do up Sue's 8 point idea a little later(but I have a
                                    suspicion she's got more skills at photoshop than I do =)).
                                    So I tried to work a little on the Topo contour line feel by raising
                                    a little of the "metal" between color intervals. This assumes no
                                    relief between the different water layers, but instead a physical
                                    break. But maybe I'll post an image of what relieved (reliefed?)
                                    layers might look like.
                                    I counted less than 9 colors on this back if we use the same green
                                    in the logo and the land, and get double use out of the blue in the
                                    logo.
                                    Sue: I've got access to a pretty good USGS DEM on our school
                                    database that I may play with to get a better canyon feel. It's a
                                    huge file of course, and you probably have access to some, but I can
                                    send it to you if you wanna work it.

                                    1 more thing. I know we don't all live in Monterey & Santa Cruz,
                                    what if instead of the MBNMS text we write out the towns we live in
                                    as well as Monterey and Santa Cruz? Shout out to MARINA!!! Sorry
                                    about that.

                                    Lance/Mike: check out BOB

                                    --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
                                    > Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your
                                    > pockets....OK, back to the barn now
                                    >
                                    > MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
                                    Behalf Of
> [...]
                                    > >

                                    > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"
                                    <teambiggeeks@y...>
                                    > > wrote:
                                    > > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I
                                    added
                                    > > Sgt.
                                    > > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version
                                    as I
                                    > > > don't have access to the program right now.
                                    > > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
                                    > > illustrator
                                    > > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the
                                    coin.
                                    > > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think
                                    it
                                    > > looks
                                    > > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
                                    > > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can

                                  • David Werblo
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                      Hi All,
                                      We have an 8 ft by 9 ft map of the area on our family
                                      room wall which we created by using USGS maps. (See
                                      attached). This is a collection of 16 paper maps plus
                                      2 USGS scanned maps. The ocean map with depths was
                                      custom created for us by the USGS. We can send someone
                                      this color USGS map of the ocean showing depths if it
                                      would be useful. Send request to werblo@....

                                      Kathy

                                      === message truncated ===

                                      __________________________________
                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    • David Werblo
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                        Of the pictures posted so far, I like the relief map
                                        but think the geo symbol is too prominent and I prefer
                                        the unusual shape on V2 and V3. The lettering on the
                                        edge is a great idea. Trying to get all if the names
                                        in would make it too cluttered and we would not want
                                        to leave anyone out. Prunedale has lots of caches so
                                        don't forget us!

                                        __________________________________
                                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                          Hi All,
                                          So I'm going to attempt to post a redo of a draft of the coin with
                                          some city names on there. I also added some depth to the logo side of
                                          the coin to get an idea as to what it may look like. I think I can
                                          make a more slick image of the bayside...given I find some time.

                                          I've been a little distracted drawing up another coin for the
                                          aforementioned CITO event. I did want to just go with a CITO logo,
                                          but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I posted the
                                          alternative I drew up since I incorporated our CCGC logo. I thought
                                          I'd get the groups approval before using the logo. The quote on the
                                          coin says "Kings and cabbages go back to compost, but good deeds stay
                                          green forever." I thought it was appropriate. If no one has any
                                          objections to the use of the logo for this CITO coin I'm going to get
                                          the manufacture process started with this one at the end of this week
                                          or beginning of next. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

                                          Okay, enough procrastination for now. BGB

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                            New CCGC version looks great :) Not sure I have anything to add to
                                            that version.

                                            As far as the CITO coin: I think it's really up to Susie on the CCGC
                                            logo useage. Cool looking coin nonetheless. You might want to give
                                            Susie some background on the RON group and maybe a link so she knows
                                            what you're talking about.

                                            BTW: Ian and I stopped by the Disc Golf Course off of General Jim
                                            Moore Blvd today. A bit windy for the course (e.g. hard throwing
                                            into the wind, but man! we could sure make them sail WITH the wind),
                                            but Ian was totally stoked when we came across THIS course:

                                            http://sports.csumb.edu/adventures/ropes%20course/ropescourse.htm

                                            Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                                            and think one of two things:

                                            1. How could I hide a cache there?
                                            2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                                            LOL. I crack myself up sometimes :D

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                              > Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                                              > and think one of two things:
                                              >
                                              > 1. How could I hide a cache there?
                                              > 2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                                              Isn't one of the first signs of addiction not being able to look at anything or go anywhere
                                              without thinking about the thing you're addicted to? OK, everyone, I think we need to
                                              have an intervention for Mike... He is starting (or is that continuing?) to show classic signs
                                              of a serious addiction... ;-)

                                              BTW, if you hold an event.... they will come....

                                              Back on topic:
                                              Both coins are looking great!
                                              There. I've made my comments... I'm done and I even stayed on topic... at least for a short
                                              while... :-D