Re: [CCGC] Re: CCGA Geocoin

  • Jenn Oates
    Message 1 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
      I'd like to buy some coins if they get going!

      touchstone12002 <msmelser@...> wrote:
      Whoa! Hang on sport.

      Big project and big $$.  I've heard minimum costs upwards of $300.00.
      Kealia put together the Scott's Valley coin, so he'd have more accurate
      information than me.

      That being said, I'm all for it of course :D

      Couple of considerations.

      1. Open up the coin to outsiders to reduce cost, or keep it within the
      group and make it more collectible.  You could keep it semi-exclusive
      by opening it up just to coin collector clubs (e.g. Nurse Dave and The
      GBA club)
      2. Detail=$$$  You could certainly find a company that could do the
      topo map on Raygun's design, but it would cost you.  The Alaska Coin
      has probably the most detail that I've seen in a coin, but it's a WAY
      expensive coin.  I'd like to see a coin with Raygun's artwork, but I'm
      not sure the cost would be prohibitive.  I'm not sure I'd want a coin
      that didn't get it "right".  I'd also want to include Coralgeo in any
      design decisions if we did us the logo (she's a moderator on this forum
      so she'll see this anyway).
      3. Make the coin unique in someway.  Either in the look or in the
      shape.  Round coins don't stick out much.  Idaho has a octagon shaped
      coin that is unusual, and there's a few others that have interesting
      shapes.  Colored enamel makes them stand out a bit more.

      Two ideas that I've thought about in the past:

      1. The Great Wave by Hokusai.  Here's an example (just happened to be
      the first google hit):

      http://www.andreas.com/hokusai.html

      2. The Lone Cypress out at Pebble Beach.
      3. Some reference to the Monterey bay Marine Sanctuary.

      I'm not much of a Photoshop wizard, but I'll help where I can.

      - Touchstone

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...> wrote:
      > Okay, we've seen Sgt. Stitches collection.  We've got the desire for
      > coins out there, and we're semi-organized.  Why haven't we made a
      coin
      > yet?
      >
      > The biggeeks are pretty daggone broke, but I'm sure we could wrangle
      > up like $50-$75 to pitch in for some group coins.  I'm going to use
      my
      > procrastination time to photoshop up a coin.  I'm initially thinking
      > something simple, like the monterey bay with stars at Santa Cruz and
      > Monterey on the front, and of course Raygun's logo on the back.  Will
      > the topo contour lines in the logo come out?
      >
      > Whew, I'm getting excited!!!
      >
      > BG Ben

    • Susie Cochran-Marquez
      Message 2 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
        Hi everyone. A few weeks ago I made plans to fly to Houston this
        coming Saturday morning to visit family. Now Hurricane Rita is
        scheduled to make landfall at the same time. Needless to say, I'm
        busy today making alternate travel arrangements, checking to see that
        my Houston family members are all set to ride it out etc. Luckily,
        they all live on the north or west side of town and are (usually) not
        under the influence of any flooding. However, it is likely that there
        will be power outages, trees down, and possibly some tornadoes. Both
        of my parents are 70 and have health issues so I want to make sure
        they're ready for any possibilities.

        That was a long intro just to say I'm going to make this brief
        regarding a CCGC coin. (LOL)

        Yes, you'll need to keep me in the loop for any plans to use Raygun's
        CCGC logo. As we all agree, the logo is very eye-catching. The only
        problem is that it isn't really conducive to a round coin. While the
        main part of the logo IS round, the topo map part sticking out blows
        the whole thing out of proportion. I do have all of the original
        digital files, and am quite the whiz at both Illustrator and
        Photoshop, so count me in for working up the artwork if we decide to
        take this idea any further.

        I like Touchstone's idea about the outline of Monterey Bay with stars
        at Monterey and Santa Cruz. But I don't care for the Great Wave idea.
        Call me jaded, but I've seen the Hokusai graphic show up so many
        places being used to describe tsunamis that I think it's been
        overused. Perhaps that's just because of the field I'm in, and maybe
        others don't feel as exposed to it as I do.

        Anyway, I may be out of contact for a week or so....

        Now I just need to decide if I want a Hurricane or a MargaRITA when I
        land in Houston :-)
        --
        Susan Cochran-Marquez
        susie@...

        I want to tell you the ocean knows this, that life in its jewel boxes
        is endless as the sand, impossible to count, pure, and made the
        jellyfish full of light and untied its knot, letting its musical
        threads fall from a horn of plenty made of infinite mother-of-pearl.
        -Pablo Neruda
        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
          OK, the Wave is out. Actually, the Monterey bay and stars was Ben's
          idea to start with.

          I think it's worth exploring the Raygun design and see if there's a
          shape that would accomodate the "Shake Your Bootie" topo map. If
          nothing else, I think it would make the coin even MORE distinctive.

          Have a good trip Susie, and be safe.

          Message 4 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
            Having just ordered a personal coin (due to arrive in about two
            weeks... but shhhhhh! don't tell anybody else) I would love to help
            out with a CCGC coin! Touchstone is right though... it is not cheap!

            There are coin manufacturers out there who will make odd shaped coins
            (EG: recent "Dog Bone" geocoin).. so you could actually make the coin
            the shape of the CCGC logo (more expensive)... the question is what
            to do on the other side of the coin to take into account the odd
            shape... You could also just make the logo fit within a circle and
            use the extra space to put in additional detail. More detail does
            not necessarily mean more expensive... cost is mostly driven by
            quantity, 3D vs 2D dies, color, and size.

            3D dies are more expensive than 2D, but the effect if much better
            (eg: The train side of the Santa Cruz coin is 3D, the lighthouse is
            2D)

            There is a large price break at 300 coins (about $1 per coin)... and
            I don't think you'd have any trouble at all selling that many, even
            limiting it to locals. There were 450 Santa Cruz coins made, all
            were pre-sold to locals only. Final cost was less than $5 per coin.

            You can now have the group coins tracked on geocaching.com for a
            minimum 500 coins at $1.50 per coin... again... more cost.

            I don't think offering the coin for general sale would bring the cost
            down that much... (Dave's coin club alone would probably order 120)

            For the same price, you can also have the coins minted in different
            metals... say, polished gold for locals... polished silver for
            others...

            As far as financing... its a lot of money to put out up front, but if
            $$ were collected for pre-sales of coins, whoever did the ordering
            wouldn't have to front so much cash.

            I'm late for a meeting... but I'd love to talk more about getting a
            CCGC geocoin together!

            -Lance
            (aka Sgt Stitches)

            --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "touchstone12002" <msmelser@m...> wrote:
            > OK, the Wave is out. Actually, the Monterey bay and stars was
            Ben's
            > idea to start with.
            >
            > I think it's worth exploring the Raygun design and see if there's a
            > shape that would accomodate the "Shake Your Bootie" topo map. If
            > nothing else, I think it would make the coin even MORE distinctive.
            >
            > Have a good trip Susie, and be safe.
            >
            > - Touchstone
            >
            > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...>
            wrote:
            > > Okay, we've seen Sgt. Stitches collection. We've got the desire
            for
            > > coins out there, and we're semi-organized. Why haven't we made a
            > coin
            > > yet?
            > >
            > > The biggeeks are pretty daggone broke, but I'm sure we could
            wrangle
            > > up like $50-$75 to pitch in for some group coins. I'm going to
            use
            > my
            > > procrastination time to photoshop up a coin. I'm initially
            thinking
            > > something simple, like the monterey bay with stars at Santa Cruz
            and
            > > Monterey on the front, and of course Raygun's logo on the back.
            Will
            > > the topo contour lines in the logo come out?
            > >
            > > Whew, I'm getting excited!!!
            > >
            > > BG Ben
          • Jenn Oates
            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
              Plus, if people across the country know you're minting a coin, you're going to get requests to buy coins...lots of coins.

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • Kealia
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
                I'd love to help out as well. Having done the Santa Cruz coin and
                working with another company now on another coin (not a personal
                one, but....well. wait and see), here's my two cents:

                1) Keep the shape of the logo for the coin itself. It will make it
                stand out
                2) The topo should not be a problem on the coin and as Lance said it
                shouldn't affect pricing
                3) Suggestions on pricing/metals/etc - sell them locally for trade-
                ability (small run, one metal) - sell them outside the group at a
                higher price in another metal to help offset cost for locals (many
                groups do this even though they don't post in the forums as such)
                4) I'm happy to help out as well - just let me know. I don't want to
                step in and step on any toes
                5) Just need a few ideas for the obverse side and we can make this
                happen quite easily

                - Ron
                (Kealia)

                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
                  Okay, here's what I was able to come up with, based off of the ideas
                  bouncing around. I wasn't able to get access to Illustrator today,
                  but the text I was going to place on the bay-side was "WORLD FAMOUS"
                  in the straight sections then wrap "MONTEREY BAY NATIONAL MARINE
                  SANCTUARY". Again these are just ideas I came up with to keep from
                  finishing my thesis work!

                  Now...how the heck to you attach a pic?

                  BG Ben
                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
                    Image is in the "photos" link on the left.

                    BGB
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 21, 2005
                      Welcome back CBN. Hope you had a great summer.

                      First draft looks great Ben. I have a couple of suggestions (takem or
                      leavem).

                      I'd use an actual image of Monterey Bay on the flip side. More detail
                      and more color. This is what they did on the Idaho coin. A picture
                      laminated on the surface of the coin. I think it looks pretty slick,
                      but you can choose what looks best. I was looking for infrared or some
                      image with more color, like Landsat or something, but I couldn't find
                      anything.

                      Making the coin symetrical would be cool too. Maybe finish out the
                      points on the coin, like a five or six point star. Not sure how that
                      would look, but just an idea. Make it look like a Ninja fighting star
                      or something 8).

                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 22, 2005
                        Hi All, I posted two slight variations on the 1st design in the photos
                        section. I only had time to play with text today, but I'll see if I
                        can find some time this weekend to play around some more.

                        Hey Mike, I looked at the Idaho coin you were talking abuot to get an
                        idea about the real image overlay. Personally, I don't really care for
                        it...I thought it kind of looked like those t-shirts you get at the
                        mall where they transfer a photo and then put "WANTED" above it or
                        something. But that's just me. I'm enjoying the creative process, and
                        I'm going to see if I can grab a LANDSAT image tonight to make an
                        example.

                        BGB

                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 23, 2005
                          I was working on a similar design, but yours came out much better. I
                          think if we're (you're) going to add stars for SC and Monterey they
                          need to be labeled as such.

                          Other than that, I like the look. Again, if you want/need help
                          working with the coin maker(s) jsut let me know.

                          Best,
                          Ron

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
                            Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give it more of a "geocaching"
                            feel.

                            ..... look-ing goooood!

                            Message 13 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
                              Wow, this is fun. Okay, I thought I'd summarize some of our ideas
                              so far for some other versions to consider.
                              - LANDSAT image of bay
                              - Symmetrical ninja-staresq design
                              - Waypoints instead of stars
                              - Labeled cities

                              I've got a Magellan unit, but I used to have a Garmin Vista...Lance,
                              I assume you're refering to the waypoint used in the garmin which is
                              like a little triangle on a pole?
                              Does anyone like the idea of labelling the cities as you would in a
                              GPS? i.e. abbreviated "MRY" & "SCRUZ"? Just a thought.
                              Also, should we incorporate the year somewhere on there?

                              --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Lance" <sgt_stitches@s...> wrote:
                              > Alternate option: use a waypoint flag instead of a star to give
                              it more of a "geocaching"
                              > feel.
                              >
                              > ..... look-ing goooood!
                              >

                              > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > > Hi All, I posted two slight variations on the 1st design in the
                              photos
                              > > section. I only had time to play with text today, but I'll see
                              if I
                              > > can find some time this weekend to play around some more.
                              > >
                              > > Hey Mike, I looked at the Idaho coin you were talking abuot to
                              get an
                              > > idea about the real image overlay. Personally, I don't really
                              care for
                              > > it...I thought it kind of looked like those t-shirts you get at
                              the
                              > > mall where they transfer a photo and then put "WANTED" above it
                              or
                              > > something. But that's just me. I'm enjoying the creative
                              process, and
                              > > I'm going to see if I can grab a LANDSAT image tonight to make
                              an
                              > > example.
                              > >
                              > > BGB
                              > >

                              > > > 3. Make the coin unique in someway. Either in the look or in
                              the
                              > > > shape. Round coins don't stick out much. Idaho has a octagon
                              shaped
                              > > > coin that is unusual, and there's a few others that have
                              interesting
                              > > > shapes. Colored enamel makes them stand out a bit more.
                              > >
                              > > > 3. Some reference to the Monterey bay Marine Sanctuary.

                            • Sgt Stitches
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 24, 2005
                                Yeah... the little triangle flag is also part of the Geocaching logo...
                                in fact, I was thinking you could incorporate the Geocaching logo into
                                the square part on the "bay" side of the coin.... sort of the
                                counterpart to the "ready to navigate" on the CCGC side.... it would
                                depend on how deep it would have to go into the bay... I like the
                                depth/underwater canyon effect you've got going... reminds of the big
                                poster of the bay they sell all over the place in Monterey and in Santa
                                Cruz.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Sep 25, 2005
                                  Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I added Sgt.
                                  Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version as I
                                  don't have access to the program right now.
                                  The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with illustrator
                                  we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the coin.
                                  Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think it looks
                                  good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
                                  Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can add it in
                                  the green section. Thoughts?

                                  Ben

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                                    It just occured to me that you could also make the coin square to
                                    compensate for the CCGC logo. A square coin would still be unique in
                                    shape, yet be easier to handle and you wouldn't have to worry about
                                    having them confiscated if you tried to take them on a plane (LoL!)

                                    Susie asked about level of detail for underwater canyons... these
                                    coins can be made with a LOT of detail... you could even do a 3D die
                                    (obviously not to scale) that would represent the canyons... caveat:
                                    you can't use color on 3D parts of the coin... Other option is to
                                    represent the canyons with more topo-like lines. Cost for color is
                                    the same for 1-9 colors... so you would want to limit the number of
                                    colors to less than 9.

                                    One last thought on a square coin ... you could call the
                                    coin "square coin sponge pants" ... (OK.. I'll crawl back under my
                                    rock... I've been watching too many cartoons with my kids)

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                                      You crack me up Lance :D

                                      That would be the ultimate sig item for Ben. Could call the
                                      coin "Bob" for short.

                                      Square would work, although I think a star shaped coin would stick
                                      out a bit more (no pun intended).

                                      I'd vote for the topo line look for the canyon, with some various
                                      shades of greens and blues to mark the depths. I tried looking for
                                      some bathymetry images on the USGS but all I could find was BW
                                      images. Knocking out the reference to the Marine Sanctuary is no big
                                      deal to me. I didn't realize the Sanctuary extended that far North.

                                      Lance: I don't think TSA would give you a hard time about the coin
                                      shape as long as you don't sharpen it ;)

                                      Should there be a reference to "Shake Your Bootie" cache (like a
                                      little flag on the bay side), since the topo part of the logo is from
                                      that area? Hmmmm....is there a puzzle cache idea in there somewhere?

                                      I'm not so keen on the numbering of coins, since so many end up in
                                      collections anyway. I'm sure Marky could make some room on his
                                      tracking site, especially if we bribe him with some coinage ;).

                                      - Touchstone

                                    • Monty Groves
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                                        Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your pockets....OK, back to the barn now

                                        MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 26, 2005
                                          Hi CCGCers, I posted an image of a 4-point star design. You can
                                          easily interpret what a square image may look like off of this.
                                          Also, we can change the orientation of the bay image if we want. I
                                          can also do up Sue's 8 point idea a little later(but I have a
                                          suspicion she's got more skills at photoshop than I do =)).
                                          So I tried to work a little on the Topo contour line feel by raising
                                          a little of the "metal" between color intervals. This assumes no
                                          relief between the different water layers, but instead a physical
                                          break. But maybe I'll post an image of what relieved (reliefed?)
                                          layers might look like.
                                          I counted less than 9 colors on this back if we use the same green
                                          in the logo and the land, and get double use out of the blue in the
                                          logo.
                                          Sue: I've got access to a pretty good USGS DEM on our school
                                          database that I may play with to get a better canyon feel. It's a
                                          huge file of course, and you probably have access to some, but I can
                                          send it to you if you wanna work it.

                                          1 more thing. I know we don't all live in Monterey & Santa Cruz,
                                          what if instead of the MBNMS text we write out the towns we live in
                                          as well as Monterey and Santa Cruz? Shout out to MARINA!!! Sorry
                                          about that.

                                          Lance/Mike: check out BOB

                                          --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
                                          > Rounding the corners a bit would keep it from poking holes in your
                                          > pockets....OK, back to the barn now
                                          >
                                          > MontytheMule (Like I ever wear pants)
                                          Behalf Of
> [...]
                                          > >

                                          > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks"
                                          <teambiggeeks@y...>
                                          > > wrote:
                                          > > > Hi All, I posted another version of the proposed coin. I
                                          added
                                          > > Sgt.
                                          > > > Stitches suggested logo and flags. No text on this version
                                          as I
                                          > > > don't have access to the program right now.
                                          > > > The city names are abbreviated on this version, but with
                                          > > illustrator
                                          > > > we can write out the whole name along the inside edge of the
                                          coin.
                                          > > > Personally I think there's pros/cons with the logo. I think
                                          it
                                          > > looks
                                          > > > good, but does somewhat substract from the canyon feel.
                                          > > > Also, I forgot to put a spot for numbering, but think we can

                                        • David Werblo
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                            Hi All,
                                            We have an 8 ft by 9 ft map of the area on our family
                                            room wall which we created by using USGS maps. (See
                                            attached). This is a collection of 16 paper maps plus
                                            2 USGS scanned maps. The ocean map with depths was
                                            custom created for us by the USGS. We can send someone
                                            this color USGS map of the ocean showing depths if it
                                            would be useful. Send request to werblo@....

                                            Kathy

                                            === message truncated ===

                                            __________________________________
                                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                                          • David Werblo
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                              Of the pictures posted so far, I like the relief map
                                              but think the geo symbol is too prominent and I prefer
                                              the unusual shape on V2 and V3. The lettering on the
                                              edge is a great idea. Trying to get all if the names
                                              in would make it too cluttered and we would not want
                                              to leave anyone out. Prunedale has lots of caches so
                                              don't forget us!

                                              __________________________________
                                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                Hi All,
                                                So I'm going to attempt to post a redo of a draft of the coin with
                                                some city names on there. I also added some depth to the logo side of
                                                the coin to get an idea as to what it may look like. I think I can
                                                make a more slick image of the bayside...given I find some time.

                                                I've been a little distracted drawing up another coin for the
                                                aforementioned CITO event. I did want to just go with a CITO logo,
                                                but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I posted the
                                                alternative I drew up since I incorporated our CCGC logo. I thought
                                                I'd get the groups approval before using the logo. The quote on the
                                                coin says "Kings and cabbages go back to compost, but good deeds stay
                                                green forever." I thought it was appropriate. If no one has any
                                                objections to the use of the logo for this CITO coin I'm going to get
                                                the manufacture process started with this one at the end of this week
                                                or beginning of next. I'll keep everyone posted on that.

                                                Okay, enough procrastination for now. BGB

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                  New CCGC version looks great :) Not sure I have anything to add to
                                                  that version.

                                                  As far as the CITO coin: I think it's really up to Susie on the CCGC
                                                  logo useage. Cool looking coin nonetheless. You might want to give
                                                  Susie some background on the RON group and maybe a link so she knows
                                                  what you're talking about.

                                                  BTW: Ian and I stopped by the Disc Golf Course off of General Jim
                                                  Moore Blvd today. A bit windy for the course (e.g. hard throwing
                                                  into the wind, but man! we could sure make them sail WITH the wind),
                                                  but Ian was totally stoked when we came across THIS course:

                                                  http://sports.csumb.edu/adventures/ropes%20course/ropescourse.htm

                                                  Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                                                  and think one of two things:

                                                  1. How could I hide a cache there?
                                                  2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                                                  LOL. I crack myself up sometimes :D

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Oct 3, 2005
                                                    > Of course, being the sick mind that I am, I look at all that stuff
                                                    > and think one of two things:
                                                    >
                                                    > 1. How could I hide a cache there?
                                                    > 2. If I held an Event there, would anybody come to it?

                                                    Isn't one of the first signs of addiction not being able to look at anything or go anywhere
                                                    without thinking about the thing you're addicted to? OK, everyone, I think we need to
                                                    have an intervention for Mike... He is starting (or is that continuing?) to show classic signs
                                                    of a serious addiction... ;-)

                                                    BTW, if you hold an event.... they will come....

                                                    Back on topic:
                                                    Both coins are looking great!
                                                    There. I've made my comments... I'm done and I even stayed on topic... at least for a short
                                                    while... :-D