Re: [CCGC] wildfire in Toro Park

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 12, 2005
      I'm sure the Cache Medics are monitoring the situation Susie ;)

      Ed's story is kind of funny, because the same thing happened to
      us...in Idaho no less (different cache though). A fire in Ponderosa
      State Park swept right through the area that a cache was placed. My
      wife and son found it a few months after the burn and found the ammo
      can undamaged, except for a few scorch marks (everything else in the
      area was burned beyond recongnition).

      Fire crew found that one during the mop up, signed the log and threw
      in some cool trade items :)

      I love stories like that.

      - Touchstone

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Hall" <edhall@b...> wrote:
      > > Susie wrote:
      > > There is a wildfire raging in Toro Park right now. How many
      > > caches will become uncovered and/or damaged?
      >
      > Ouch. I hope the fire spares them!
      >
      > I few summers ago my boys and I found the cache Southern Idaho's
      First

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 13, 2005
        Update: Looks like the fire was started by a teenager who got a little
        too curious with some matches or something.

        The fire was actually over on Fort Ord, across from the Regional Park
        (called Toro Regional Park), but behind the housing development by the
        same name (kind of confusing). From the photos I saw, it looked like
        the fire started near the Portola Drive parking area. Just A Short
        Walk's "Green Acres", looked to be in the middle of the blaze that
        swept up the hill. I have one at the top of the hill (Yale's Yegg Box
        Cache), but it looks like the quick responding CDF was able to stop the
        blaze before it reached that far. 50 acres of mostly grass and brush
        were burned from the sounds of it.

        - Touchstone