wildfire in Toro Park

  • Susie
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 12, 2005
      There is a wildfire raging in Toro Park right now. How many caches will become uncovered
      and/or damaged?
    • Jenn Oates
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 12, 2005
        Ouch...my dad used to be a MoCo park ranger, and I bet he's glad he's retired .

        On Aug 12, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Susie wrote:

        There is a wildfire raging in Toro Park right now. How many caches will become uncovered
        and/or damaged?

        Central coast california Central coast Monterey bay
        Outdoors

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • Ed Hall
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 12, 2005
          > Susie wrote:
          > There is a wildfire raging in Toro Park right now. How many
          > caches will become uncovered and/or damaged?

          Ouch. I hope the fire spares them!

          I few summers ago my boys and I found the cache Southern Idaho's First
          (http://tinyurl.com/bmjuw) about a week after a grass fire had burned to
          within a few feet of the cache. Besides some firefighters, who were
          surprised to discover the cache, we were the first to visit after the
          fire.

          It made for a memorable find! (The insane drive/hike to the cache helped
          too!)

          -Buxley

          --
          Ed Hall (edhall@...) http://www.brillig.com/
          "There's a hell of a universe next door: let's go!" - e. e. cummings
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 12, 2005
            A voice from the past. Hey Ed! Good to "hear" from you.

            I found a cache last week out in Antioch that had been surprising spared by a recent grass
            fire. I think the only thing that saved it was that it was on a rocky platform rather than
            directly on the shrubby ground. There were rocks on top (a cairn/duck) to hide it, but I'm
            really surprised that the fire crew didn't come upon it. The container was one of those 10
            inch metal cookie tins, which isn't exactly waterproof, but everything was dry and it wasn't
            even smoke damaged. Go figure.

            It was a little creepy crossing the blackened ground to reach the cache location. On the
            way back we CITO'd a pocket calculator that was melted and burned.
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 12, 2005
              I'm sure the Cache Medics are monitoring the situation Susie ;)

              Ed's story is kind of funny, because the same thing happened to
              us...in Idaho no less (different cache though). A fire in Ponderosa
              State Park swept right through the area that a cache was placed. My
              wife and son found it a few months after the burn and found the ammo
              can undamaged, except for a few scorch marks (everything else in the
              area was burned beyond recongnition).

              Fire crew found that one during the mop up, signed the log and threw
              in some cool trade items :)

              I love stories like that.

              - Touchstone

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 13, 2005
                Update: Looks like the fire was started by a teenager who got a little
                too curious with some matches or something.

                The fire was actually over on Fort Ord, across from the Regional Park
                (called Toro Regional Park), but behind the housing development by the
                same name (kind of confusing). From the photos I saw, it looked like
                the fire started near the Portola Drive parking area. Just A Short
                Walk's "Green Acres", looked to be in the middle of the blaze that
                swept up the hill. I have one at the top of the hill (Yale's Yegg Box
                Cache), but it looks like the quick responding CDF was able to stop the
                blaze before it reached that far. 50 acres of mostly grass and brush
                were burned from the sounds of it.

                - Touchstone