Re: [GeocachingSantaCruz] Re: Big Basin to the Sea on Sunday

  • Susie Cochran-Marquez
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2005
      On Jul 14, 2005, at 8:24 PM, touchstone12002 wrote:

      > Some possible interest here...
      >
      > A few questions though.
      >
      > 1. How far is it?

      It's approximately 10 mi from Big Basin HQ to Hwy 1. See
      virtualparks.org for a free download of the Big Basin SP map.

      > 2. Any significant elevation gains (I'm assuming it's mostly
      > downhill)?

      No significant elevation gains. It's not completely downhill, but I've
      hiked it before. I figure if I can do it anyone can.

      > 3. How much PO?

      I don't remember any problem areas when I went to replace Canada. There
      won't be any problems on the fire road portion. Unknown what it will be
      like from HQ to Berry Creek but I don't anticipate any problems.

      > 4. Is it suitable for six year olds, or six year olds on pack animal
      > parents shoulders?

      Ian has more energy than I do. LOL He shouldn't have any problems
      (especially if he gets to ride occasionally)

      > 5. Any other kids in attendance (or is the point to get away from
      > them)?

      No kids as of yet, but that doesn't mean they can't come if you think
      they can make the distance.