Re: Geomuggle Anti-cache Violence

  • westlog
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
      Hi Stephanie,

      Thank you for setting me straight. Your descriptions are right on
      target. Although the data I have (I teach and work in the field)
      shows we are moving in that direction, others may have a different
      perception of what they believe is "truth," and I do not dispute that.

      FYI, under the California Penal Code, destroying a geocache is a
      misdemeanor. This simply gives us (geocachers) a response tool.

      My suggestion was clearly too implicit. Sorry. I only meant to
      suggest that we report such activity as to remain aware of any
      threat. We could have then chatted about the issue over pizza and
      soda. If the community doesn't care, then I am beating against the
      wind and will remain quiet on the issue.

      Thanks again and take good care,
      Rick

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Cottrell Bryant"
      <mortaine@g...> wrote:

      > Rick,
      >
      > I have no idea what you're suggesting, since you don't actually put
      > forth any suggestions for taking action. But having browsed the
      forums
      > on GC.com, I can assure you that California is *not* unique in
      > tolerating a lot of this behavior. The forums are rife with posts
      > about caches being destroyed or going missing, geocachers who have
      > been targeted, and nasty things being left in caches.
      >
      > The fact is, there are a lot of jerks in the world. Some of them
      are
      > in geocaching. Some of them are outside geocaching but use the
      > geocaching.com website as a way to find targets for their inane
      humor.
      > In some cases, the perps are stupid enough to leave evidence,
      > apparently wanting to get caught. In many cases, the perps are
      > adolescents being adolescents (which is, by and large, a good
      reason
      > to sting them with their parents' wrath). And in many cases, the
      perps
      > are adolescents who never grew up. There's no law against muggling
      > someone's geocache. Unless the person leaves evidence of another
      > crime, there are no laws being broken. Most of these criminals go
      away
      > after they hit a few caches, realizing how lame it really is when
      > nobody comments on it.
      >
      > Exactly *what* do you think we should do about it?
      >
      > --Stephanie
    • westlog
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
        Hi Monty,

        Good comments. The way we address this sort of problem in other
        areas is two-fold. One, we ensure that we (communicators, hams,
        contesters, hikers, etc) know what's up. Two, we initially ignore
        the "perps." When they don't get a response, they are unsure if they
        have an effect and quickly tire of their misbehavior.

        I live in California and don't choose to see bad trends. I do work
        as a DSW, the Emergency Coordinator for Seaside, and as a registered
        emergency communicator, and have significant access to crime stats.
        California is at 10th in violent crime, in the middle of reported
        crime against property, and is experiencing a rise in high-tech and
        low dollar value crime. This includes unreported crimes such as what
        we may be seeing with the present topic.

        I don't have time to fret about some problem no one cares about, and
        I certainly don't want to create stress. For me, geocaching is a fun
        hobby. I have no interest in turning it into a drama or conflict.
        So, I'll head back to school and once in a while out to find a cache
        or two.

        Thanks for your thoughts and have fun on the geocaching trail.
        Take good care,
        Rick ;-)

        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Monty Groves" <mrgroves@c...> wrote:
        > One could say they are cleaning up the litter I suppose. They may
        be full
        > grown perps. As well, last I checked, California had one of the
        lowest
        > crime rates of any states in the USA. We should keep it htat way.
        It just