RE: [CCGC] Re: Geomuggle Anti-cache Violence

  • Monty Groves
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
      One could say they are cleaning up the litter I suppose.  They may be full grown perps.  As well, last I checked, California had one of the lowest crime rates of any states in the USA.  We should keep it htat way.  It just costs too much to live here without a job.

      I would treat this like the grafitti problem in reverse.  Keep re-placing the caches and they will tire of it.

      MOnty
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
        Hi Stephanie,

        Thank you for setting me straight. Your descriptions are right on
        target. Although the data I have (I teach and work in the field)
        shows we are moving in that direction, others may have a different
        perception of what they believe is "truth," and I do not dispute that.

        FYI, under the California Penal Code, destroying a geocache is a
        misdemeanor. This simply gives us (geocachers) a response tool.

        My suggestion was clearly too implicit. Sorry. I only meant to
        suggest that we report such activity as to remain aware of any
        threat. We could have then chatted about the issue over pizza and
        soda. If the community doesn't care, then I am beating against the
        wind and will remain quiet on the issue.

        Thanks again and take good care,
        Rick

        --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Stephanie Cottrell Bryant"
        <mortaine@g...> wrote:

        > Rick,
        >
        > I have no idea what you're suggesting, since you don't actually put
        > forth any suggestions for taking action. But having browsed the
        forums
        > on GC.com, I can assure you that California is *not* unique in
        > tolerating a lot of this behavior. The forums are rife with posts
        > about caches being destroyed or going missing, geocachers who have
        > been targeted, and nasty things being left in caches.
        >
        > The fact is, there are a lot of jerks in the world. Some of them
        are
        > in geocaching. Some of them are outside geocaching but use the
        > geocaching.com website as a way to find targets for their inane
        humor.
        > In some cases, the perps are stupid enough to leave evidence,
        > apparently wanting to get caught. In many cases, the perps are
        > adolescents being adolescents (which is, by and large, a good
        reason
        > to sting them with their parents' wrath). And in many cases, the
        perps
        > are adolescents who never grew up. There's no law against muggling
        > someone's geocache. Unless the person leaves evidence of another
        > crime, there are no laws being broken. Most of these criminals go
        away
        > after they hit a few caches, realizing how lame it really is when
        > nobody comments on it.
        >
        > Exactly *what* do you think we should do about it?
        >
        > --Stephanie
      • westlog
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
          Hi Monty,

          Good comments. The way we address this sort of problem in other
          areas is two-fold. One, we ensure that we (communicators, hams,
          contesters, hikers, etc) know what's up. Two, we initially ignore
          the "perps." When they don't get a response, they are unsure if they
          have an effect and quickly tire of their misbehavior.

          I live in California and don't choose to see bad trends. I do work
          as a DSW, the Emergency Coordinator for Seaside, and as a registered
          emergency communicator, and have significant access to crime stats.
          California is at 10th in violent crime, in the middle of reported
          crime against property, and is experiencing a rise in high-tech and
          low dollar value crime. This includes unreported crimes such as what
          we may be seeing with the present topic.

          I don't have time to fret about some problem no one cares about, and
          I certainly don't want to create stress. For me, geocaching is a fun
          hobby. I have no interest in turning it into a drama or conflict.
          So, I'll head back to school and once in a while out to find a cache
          or two.

          Thanks for your thoughts and have fun on the geocaching trail.
          Take good care,
          Rick ;-)