479Re: [CCGC] Re: LOOKING FOR LANGUAGE HELP

  • Talmadge Bailey
    May 3, 2008
      Never tried igoogle, I'll have a look.

      Previous experience is that things like babelfish are likely to create confusion.

      Translating "Love" is especially fraught with danger because English uses the same word for love in the fatherly sense as well the romantic/erotic sense. Other languages have separate words for romantic love and that sisterly or parental thing.

      I only trust babelfish if I can translate a word, then take that and translate it back to English getting as a result whatever I started with. When that test is applied babelfish rarely passes.

      That is why I am hoping for assistance of native speakers!

      Thanks for the lead.

      Regards,
      Wayne

      touchstone12002 <touchstone12002@...> wrote:
      iGoogle is one obvious choice:

      http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en&referrer=ign_n

      and babblefish.com, although I've heard that online traslators can
      make kind of a hash on the grammar, I would think for a simple
      translation of three words, like you're doing, it would be adequate.

      Google did give the following Japanese translation in Kanji:

      •½˜aˆ¤‚̍K•Ÿ

      Hope that helps, and good luck,
      Mike
      aka Touchstone

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Wavesprite@... wrote:

      > Hi Wayne,
      >
      > Your caches are great!!! I have a friend that I will ask about
      the Hebrew!

      > Stacey
      > aka Wavesprite
      >
      > In a message dated 5/3/2008 8:44:43 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      > ca_bicycler@... writes:
      >

      > I have been hiding a few caches. All are intended to be roughly
      > identical except for the language of the title.
      >
      > I could use help (or leads for free/cheap help) in
      translating "Peace
      > Love and Happiness" into additional languages.
      >
      > Any written language is a candidate.
      >
      > Especially interested in help from someone who can assist in
      > translation into Hebrew, Hindi, Cyrillic or other glyphs.
      Example:
      > Japanese is often expressed in the Western Alphabet for our
      > convenience. But in Japan Japanese would normally be expressed in
      those
      > characters which I believe are called "Kanji"
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Wayne
      > a.k.a. rainbow_guyz
      >

      > **************Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists