376[CCGC] Re: Camp, Cafe and Pinnacles March

  • bud
    Feb 13, 2006
      Thank you all for your caching enthusiasm!

      I think that the "geoevent" will have it's hands full with camping
      at the private campground, meeting at the Veanda Cafe, meeting at
      the Visitor's Center, and hiking in the Pinnacles on Saturday.

      Based on the threads, I will allow for one hour between leaving the
      Veranda Cafe (9:30) and starting the 10-mile hike at the Visitor's
      Center (10:30) which should leave at least 8 hours of daylight for
      the hike set for the end of March pre-Daylight Savings Time.

      FYI: to qualify as a geoevent, I probably CANNOT reference the
      finding of caches as part of the event if I want to get the event
      qualified as a geoevent.

      That said, anyone who wishes to place caches to "enhance" the before
      and after event possibilities is free to do so! After all, there is
      the Friday before and the Sunday after the event unaccounted for ...

      Again, thank you for your enthusiasm and support!

      50sumtin

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...> wrote:

      > I am alway glad to comply for you, as well as mystify with my
      caches when I can. I don't think one person should do all of the
      caches. It would be good to get volunteers so that several people
      can "Show their stuff". How about 4 (people/group-teams)
      volunteering to put 3 -4 caches out each. Bud, if you would like
      for me to coordinate this for your event I would be honored. Let me
      know

      > ps There is a small monument on the west side of Tres Pinos
      that is naked - but I didn't see it - Really

      > It is too bad we can't have a Worker of Wood style cache perp
      session for those coming who are not up to walking in the mountains
      but we might get beat up by the Rangers for releasing spray paint
      propellent into the atmosphere or something.

> [...]
      > We are looking forward to the fun of hunting some more of your
      > caches. Please just save us a cache-hiding spot in "downtown"
      > Tres Pinos . We don't have any caches ready-to-go, but we have
      > two spots in mind. If you have 10 or so spots further down the
      > road, this will be quite a trip !
      >
      > Think you are good with 40 minutes from Tres Pinos to
      > Pinnacles - we have made it in 45min, without rushing, from
      > Hollister (south edge of town) to pay-station at entrance to
      > Pinnacles Nat'l Monument. Cachers will have to wait to pick up
      > the enroute caches on the way back !! Cannot stress enough that
      > we need to get there early if anyone is going to survive hiking in
      > the heat we can expect by the end of March. But even after a hard
      > day, a dozen or two caches on the way home will stir up some
      > fresh energy.
      > Figure the entrance gate / pay station will be open when we get
      > there. Depending on how crowded is the park that morning, we
      > would prefer to gather at the Bear Creek visitor's center, which
      is
      > one of the earthcaches (just sign the guestbook) and a good
      > place to fill water bottles, use restroom, etc. If we get sent
      > overflow-parking, we will have to hike up to Bear Creek anyways
      > to get started on the trail to the other earthcaches.
      >

      > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Momma and I went out there today and got lots of coordinates
      > for the field trip. I was wondering why no caches in the park
      > area. I have 20 caches READY to set out. I spotted numerous
      > places on the way in to hide caches on that side of town. My wife
      > is EXTREMELY anti-caching so when she is along I don't get to
      > play. I did pick up Momoma's "Stop Stareing at me" but
      > grummble grumble. Without stopping it took 40 min to get there
      > from Tres Pinos to the campground store. There are currently 4
      > caches on the way, ( I have already found them) so I do not think
      > 30 min is time enough between breakfast and the hike. I could
      > EASILY put out 10 caches before getting into the park but it
      > would slow everyone down, they might never get to the hike. I
      > think you need to to allow an hour because if the Gate is not
      > manned you have to go to the Bear Gulch Visitor Center to sign
      > in and buy a visitor pass. The lady there said to go back out the
      > way we came in, cross the bridge and turn left to go
      > > to the Chalone Trail Head Parking area. That trail goes about
      > 3.5 mi hike and ends at a trailhead called Balconies and there
      > are caves there. You reach that side from Salinas but she said
      > that t rail would be your best bet at seeing wildflowers. They
      said
      > they have only had 5" of rain this year so it is going to be
      lean. I
      > have no experience up there so I can not say one way or another.
      > Here are your coordinates:
      > > Flapjack's parking lot (V Small) 36o 47.424N 121o 19.313W
      19.271W "0"

      -----------
> [...]
      > > Pinnicle's Front Gate (Closed) 36o 29.273N 121o 09.234W
      > 24.4 mi
      > > 1st Rest Stop viewing area 36o28.944N 121o 09.722W
      > (Good Gathering area)
      > > Bear Gulch Visitor Centor 36o 28.881N 121o 10.864W 26
      > mi
      > > Chalone Trail head (parking for maybe 10 cars) 36o 29.696N
      > 121o 10.384W
      > >
      > > These people appear very strict and were about to have a cow
      > beacuse they saw a boy scout carrying a skateboard down the
      > paved road. No pets are allowed. I have a snake bite kit.
      > Chalone has porta pottie toilets but NO WATER.
      > >
      > > By the time of our hike, they expect to have 2 different
      posters
      > of the area wild flowers for sale at the visitor's center
      > >
      > > I hope some of this helped SLOIGO
      > >
      > > Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@> wrote:
      > > Veranda it is!
      > > Bud
      > >
      > > leslierussellgreen <swartz@> wrote:
      > > Bud - emailed you corrected coords for tres pinos - Veranda
      > > Cafe - and pinnacles visitor's center. Don't know coords to
      > east
      > > campground; maybe they answer their phone and will save
      > > someone a trip out there in person.
      > > I see you have suggested Flapjacks in Tres Pinos. We truly
      > love
      > > their food. Pretty good prices. But not as much seating as
      > > Veranda cafe, and no outdoor overflow area if this crowd gets
      > > big. Actually, I would discourage Flapjacks just because they
      > > have such substantial breakfasts, and you might not want
      > > people so bogged down by a big meal before the hiking.
      > > - Leslie (Hotshoe, with Russell and Michael)
      > >

      > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I could use the coordinates for the cafe, the campground and
      > > the Visitor's Center.
      > > > Do you live nearny?
      > > > Bud 50sumtin
      > > >

      > > > "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@> wrote:
      > > > his sounds GREAT, You can count on me and three or four
      > of
      > > my
      > > > geocaching visitors. If you need any help contact me and I
      > > would be
      > > > glad to help any way I can for your event. dlnorris@
      > > > SLOIGO aka David L. Norris

      > > GeoEvent for
      > in
      > > the
      > > > vein of
      > > December.

      > following:

      > of
      > > the
      > breakfast
      > > > March 25
      > Pinnacles
      > > > March

      > and
      > > 9:30 am
      > > > and
      > at
      > > 10

      > > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
      bay
      > > Outdoors

      > of
      > > Service.
      > > >

      > > > ---------------------------------
      > > >

      > > > ---------------------------------
      > > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
      > > > PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

      > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
      bay
      > Outdoors
      > >
      > > ---------------------------------
      > > Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews,
      > & more on new and used cars.

      > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
      bay
      > Outdoors

      > Service.

      > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
      bay Outdoors

      Service.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic