375[CCGC] Re: Camp, Cafe and Pinnacles March

  • bud
    Feb 13, 2006
      Thank you so much for the coordinates!
      I thgink that we are set on the east side and the Verona Cafe. I
      will allow an hour from the cafe to the Park trail head.

      Bud
      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@...> wrote:

      > Momma and I went out there today and got lots of coordinates for
      the field trip. I was wondering why no caches in the park area. I
      have 20 caches READY to set out. I spotted numerous places on the
      way in to hide caches on that side of town. My wife is EXTREMELY
      anti-caching so when she is along I don't get to play. I did pick
      up Momoma's "Stop Stareing at me" but grummble grumble. Without
      stopping it took 40 min to get there from Tres Pinos to the
      campground store. There are currently 4 caches on the way, ( I have
      already found them) so I do not think 30 min is time enough between
      breakfast and the hike. I could EASILY put out 10 caches before
      getting into the park but it would slow everyone down, they might
      never get to the hike. I think you need to to allow an hour
      because if the Gate is not manned you have to go to the Bear Gulch
      Visitor Center to sign in and buy a visitor pass. The lady there
      said to go back out the way we came in, cross the bridge and turn
      left to go
      > to the Chalone Trail Head Parking area. That trail goes about
      3.5 mi hike and ends at a trailhead called Balconies and there are
      caves there. You reach that side from Salinas but she said that t
      rail would be your best bet at seeing wildflowers. They said they
      have only had 5" of rain this year so it is going to be lean. I
      have no experience up there so I can not say one way or another.
      Here are your coordinates:
      > Flapjack's parking lot (V Small) 36o 47.424N 121o 19.313W
      > Veranda's Parking Lot 36o 47.409N 121o 19.271W "0"
      mi

      > The Pinnicles "Private" campground = www.pinncamp.com
      > Pinnicles Campground Store 36o 29.624N 121o 08.796W 23.8 mi.
      >
      > Pinnicles campground ticket booth 36029.607N 121o 08.791W
      > The campground store has sparse supplies at a very high price.
      Bring your own wood if you are camping. The sign said "Wood Gathers
      would be Evicted" They sell wood and presto logs
      ---------
      > www.nps.gov/pinn
      > Pinnicle's Front Gate (Closed) 36o 29.273N 121o 09.234W 24.4 mi
      > 1st Rest Stop viewing area 36o28.944N 121o 09.722W (Good
      Gathering area)
      > Bear Gulch Visitor Centor 36o 28.881N 121o 10.864W 26 mi
      > Chalone Trail head (parking for maybe 10 cars) 36o 29.696N 121o
      10.384W

      > These people appear very strict and were about to have a cow
      beacuse they saw a boy scout carrying a skateboard down the paved
      road. No pets are allowed. I have a snake bite kit. Chalone has
      porta pottie toilets but NO WATER.

      > By the time of our hike, they expect to have 2 different posters
      of the area wild flowers for sale at the visitor's center

      > I hope some of this helped SLOIGO
      >
      > Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@...> wrote:
      > Veranda it is!
      > Bud
      >
      > leslierussellgreen <swartz@...> wrote:
      > Bud - emailed you corrected coords for tres pinos - Veranda
      > Cafe - and pinnacles visitor's center. Don't know coords to east
      > campground; maybe they answer their phone and will save
      > someone a trip out there in person.
      > I see you have suggested Flapjacks in Tres Pinos. We truly love
      > their food. Pretty good prices. But not as much seating as
      > Veranda cafe, and no outdoor overflow area if this crowd gets
      > big. Actually, I would discourage Flapjacks just because they
      > have such substantial breakfasts, and you might not want
      > people so bogged down by a big meal before the hiking.
      > - Leslie (Hotshoe, with Russell and Michael)
      >

      > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, Bud Gawlik <fiftysumtin@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I could use the coordinates for the cafe, the campground and
      > the Visitor's Center.
      > > Do you live nearny?
      > > Bud 50sumtin
      > >

      > > "David L. Norris" <dlnorris@> wrote:
      > > his sounds GREAT, You can count on me and three or four of
      > my
      > > geocaching visitors. If you need any help contact me and I
      > would be
      > > glad to help any way I can for your event. dlnorris@
      > > SLOIGO aka David L. Norris
      > >
      > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "bud" <fiftysumtin@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm getting ready to submit a cache description for a
      > GeoEvent for
      > > > March 25: Camp, Cafe, and Pinnacles March. This will be in
      > the
      > > vein of
      > > > the Koffee and Kayaking that Touchstone put together in
      > December.
      > > >
      > > > Cachers may log this event if they do any one of the following:
      > > >
      > > > Camp at the private campground just outside the east side of
      > the
      > > > Pinnacles East entrance, March 24 or 25.
      > > > Join a gathering at the Flapjack's Country Cafe for breakfast
      > > March 25
      > > > just south of Tres Pinos,and/or
      > > > Join a group of cachers for a Wildflower hike in the Pinnacles
      > > March
      > > > 25.
      > > >
      > > > I was thinking that breakfast would be between 8:30 am and
      > 9:30 am
      > > and
      > > > that we could then regroup at the east side visitor's center
      at
      > 10
      > > > get the hike started.
      > > >
      > > > Comments are welcome!
      > > >
      > > > Bud

      > > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
      bay
      > Outdoors

      > Service.
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      > > Brings words and photos together (easily) with
      > > PhotoMail - it's free and works with Yahoo! Mail.

      > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
      bay Outdoors

      > Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, &
      more on new and used cars.

      > Central coast california Central coast Monterey
      bay Outdoors

      Service.

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic