147Re: CCGA Geocoin

  • Kealia
    Sep 21, 2005
      I'd love to help out as well. Having done the Santa Cruz coin and
      working with another company now on another coin (not a personal
      one, but....well. wait and see), here's my two cents:

      1) Keep the shape of the logo for the coin itself. It will make it
      stand out
      2) The topo should not be a problem on the coin and as Lance said it
      shouldn't affect pricing
      3) Suggestions on pricing/metals/etc - sell them locally for trade-
      ability (small run, one metal) - sell them outside the group at a
      higher price in another metal to help offset cost for locals (many
      groups do this even though they don't post in the forums as such)
      4) I'm happy to help out as well - just let me know. I don't want to
      step in and step on any toes
      5) Just need a few ideas for the obverse side and we can make this
      happen quite easily

      - Ron
      (Kealia)

      --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "Lance" <sgt_stitches@s...> wrote:
      > Having just ordered a personal coin (due to arrive in about two
      > weeks... but shhhhhh! don't tell anybody else) I would love to
      help
      > out with a CCGC coin! Touchstone is right though... it is not
      cheap!

      > There are coin manufacturers out there who will make odd shaped
      coins
      > (EG: recent "Dog Bone" geocoin).. so you could actually make the
      coin
      > the shape of the CCGC logo (more expensive)... the question is
      what
      > to do on the other side of the coin to take into account the odd
      > shape... You could also just make the logo fit within a circle and
      > use the extra space to put in additional detail. More detail does
      > not necessarily mean more expensive... cost is mostly driven by
      > quantity, 3D vs 2D dies, color, and size.
      >
      > 3D dies are more expensive than 2D, but the effect if much better
      > (eg: The train side of the Santa Cruz coin is 3D, the lighthouse
      is
      > 2D)
      >
      > There is a large price break at 300 coins (about $1 per coin)...
      and
      > I don't think you'd have any trouble at all selling that many,
      even
      > limiting it to locals. There were 450 Santa Cruz coins made, all
      > were pre-sold to locals only. Final cost was less than $5 per
      coin.

      > You can now have the group coins tracked on geocaching.com for a
      > minimum 500 coins at $1.50 per coin... again... more cost.
      >
      > I don't think offering the coin for general sale would bring the
      cost
      > down that much... (Dave's coin club alone would probably order 120)
      >
      > For the same price, you can also have the coins minted in
      different
      > metals... say, polished gold for locals... polished silver for
      > others...
      >
      > As far as financing... its a lot of money to put out up front, but
      if
      > $$ were collected for pre-sales of coins, whoever did the ordering
      > wouldn't have to front so much cash.
      >
      > I'm late for a meeting... but I'd love to talk more about getting
      > CCGC geocoin together!
      >
      > -Lance
      > (aka Sgt Stitches)
      >

      > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "touchstone12002" <msmelser@m...>
      wrote:
      > > OK, the Wave is out. Actually, the Monterey bay and stars was
      > Ben's
      > > idea to start with.
      > >
      > > I think it's worth exploring the Raygun design and see if
      there's a
      > > shape that would accomodate the "Shake Your Bootie" topo map.
      If
      > > nothing else, I think it would make the coin even MORE
      distinctive.

      > > Have a good trip Susie, and be safe.
      > >
      > > - Touchstone
      > >
      > > --- In ccgca@yahoogroups.com, "teambiggeeks" <teambiggeeks@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > > Okay, we've seen Sgt. Stitches collection. We've got the
      desire
      > for
      > > > coins out there, and we're semi-organized. Why haven't we
      made a
      > > coin
      > > > yet?
      > > >
      > > > The biggeeks are pretty daggone broke, but I'm sure we could
      > wrangle
      > > > up like $50-$75 to pitch in for some group coins. I'm going
      > use
      > > my
      > > > procrastination time to photoshop up a coin. I'm initially
      > thinking
      > > > something simple, like the monterey bay with stars at Santa
      Cruz
      > and
      > > > Monterey on the front, and of course Raygun's logo on the
      back.
      > Will
      > > > the topo contour lines in the logo come out?
      > > >
      > > > Whew, I'm getting excited!!!
      > > >
      > > > BG Ben
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic