Re: [ccd-newastro] NGF-S and Fastar

  • KSBTK@HOME
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 13, 2000
      Bob:

      > I am looking forward to seeing some of your images. You seem to be a
      couple
      > of months ahead of me. My fastar arrives next week but my MX7C camera is
      > still on order.
      > Please post your work.

      If we ever get clear skies here in NJ long enough to to do some imaging,
      then I will certainly post the results. BTW, good luck with the MX7C.

      Clear skies,
      Kevin
      ksbtk@...
    • Bob Holzer
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 13, 2000
        kevin:

        thanks. I look forward to your seeing images. the mx7c may be a challenge to
        get going on the fastar but it could also be great with the color and
        selfguiding, we'll have to see.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 13, 2000
          Yes, I was out of town, trying to catch up this evening. <g>

          Ron Wodaski
          The New Astronomy Book Site - http://www.newastro.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2000
            > My fastar arrives next week but my MX7C camera is
            > still on order.

            Good luck!
            I got a c-14 fastar to use with my HX-516 and had a bear of a time.
            The problem is that the fastar lens assembly uses the finer, screw
            mount rather than the coarse t-mount threads. Because of this, you
            can't properly mount the camera.

            Moreover, if you use an adapter, (even a thin one) it places the
            camera focal position too far away to focus. As a temporary kludge (a
            really UGLY one) I duct-taped my camera to the lens assembly.
            My longer term solution is to send in my lens assembly to a machinist
            for re-threading. While he's at it, I'm having him add a slot for
            insertion of a filter slider so I can finally do some RGB imaging.

            -Ted
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 27, 2000
              Are you using the HX-516 with or without the Fastar lens assembly? I've only
              used the Fastar in the 8" configuration, and that version has a simple 1.25"
              tube for inserting your camera; no threads involved at all.

            • tdi1@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 28, 2000
                The Fastar lens assembly I'm using is the latest vintage. No more
                1.25" tube any more, just universal (i.e. Practica) screw threads.
                The unfortunate part of this is that the furthest focal position ends
                up about 1/2" from the back of the threads so under normal
                circumstances one can ONLY use the Fastar lens setup with the
                Celestron approved camera. Hence my solution to have the lens barrel
                machined to accept the t-mount threads used by the HX-516.
                -Ted

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 29, 2000
                  Ah -- interesting. I can see that your solution makes a lot of sense given
                  this change. I bought a Fastar just a few months ago, and it was the "old
                  fashioned" design. There are advantages to a screw-on connection in terms of
                  stability and collimation, but there are some trade-offs as well.