My CCD - I did i! Thanks to everyone

  • Stephane
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
      Well, I did it!!! I made my purchase today, after days of insomnia
      about ABG/NABG and what accessories I should buy etc…

      I won't bother anymore with my existential questions about ABG/NABG
      bla bla bla!!! I will probably bother you again when I get my first
      image :)

      I decided to buy ST-7XE NABG, yes "NABG" with T-Thread, 12DC power
      supply, Meade reducer f/6.3.

      I want to thanks everyone who helps me to decide and bring some
      light on CCD. It is very nice to find good motivated and passionate
      peoples!

      Thank again
      Stephane

      BTW: Sorry for my bad English in all my posts, I am yes a French
      Canadian leaving in the USA (the sky is better :))!!!
    • Randy Nulman
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
        Congratulations!
        I think you made some good choices..especially getting the NABG.
        One comment...trying to focus "manually" is extremely difficult and
        time consuming. I would suggest you add an electronic focuser, even
        at this point. (or does your LX come with the new electronic
        focuser..I haven't followed the whole string) Maybe something like
        the NGFs that can later be adapted for "software automation"?...I
        think this is what Mark uses...or robofocus or TCF...but, whatever
        the decision, an electronic focuser is almost a "must"!

        Randy Nulman

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
          Well, I try to keep things simple to begin with. I was looking at
          the optec TCF-S. My lx200gps come with a electronic focuser but
          don't know if can use this.

          Thanks
          Stephane

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
            Hi,
            I originally had the NGF, then went to the Optec TCF (great focuser)
            I agree you need to keep things simple, but "manually" focusing will
            do just the opposite! I suspect, that since your 200gps comes with
            an electronic focuser it should be suffiecient to get started (but I
            don't know much about it). If it works, then you can make a future
            focuser decision later.

            I just don't want you to get frustrated trying to "manually"
            focus..it's an unbelievable Pain! (Hopefully, the electronic focuser
            that comes with the gps will do the job until you're ready to jump in
            and go with the TCF (or whatever).

          • Mark de Regt
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
              Stephane--

              I started out with an NGF-S focuser on my LX200; it is very similar to the
              Meade LX200GPS focuser. You will do just fine with it. Get pretty good
              focus off the main focus knob, and complete the fine focus with the
              electronic focuser. Eventually, you will want to get a focuser with a
              repeatable motor, such as a RoboFocus, but I would wait on that. You should
              learn how to focus manually anyway--it's a good exercise, and you never know
              when your fancy focuser will die (mine died last week at the start of my
              session imaging NGC 7662, and I had to focus manually with the main LX200
              focuser. I still got my image!). Ron's book has lots of good stuff on
              focusing.

              --Mark

            • Greg Crawford
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
                Good choice, Stephane! I am sure you will be very happy with it. Once you get
                some experience with it, you can make your own choices about additional
                accessories, based on your own experience and preferences. And who knows, once
                you find out how easy it is, you might even begin to view the potential
                scientific applications of the NABG as an exciting possibility! ;-)

                - Greg

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
                  Congratulations. We'll be looking to see your first light images, and to
                  answer your first light questions!

                  Ron Wodaski
                  author of The New CCD Astronomy
                  http://www.newastro.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 3, 2002
                    The new version of FocusMax (now in Beta) will support the Meade LX200 GPS
                    focuser.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
                      Mark,
                      Thanks for educating me on the crayford focuser now supplied with
                      Meade's LX200...I didn't know if it would work well or not (By the
                      time I saw Tony's old set-up, he had replaced the Meade focuser with
                      his NGFs..so I never saw the "factory" version. I guess it must work
                      pretty well, or focusmax wouldn't have spent the time to include it
                      in their options.

                      I agree that knowing how to manually focus is worthwhile..just in
                      case something goes wrong with the electronic focuser, but I wouldn't
                      want to rely on it for anything other than the emergency situation
                      that you pointed out during your imaging of 7662. It's VERY time
                      consuming and frustrating to focus manually (IMHO)

                      My belief is that good image acquisition is based on A) achieving
                      excellent focus and B) achieving excellent guiding. Once these two
                      issues are learned/resolved, the rest of the process takes care of
                      itself. I think this is why Ron spent so much time on these two
                      topics in his book. (Of course, processing is a totally different
                      subject!<g>)

                      Regards,
                      Randy Nulman

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Mark de Regt
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 4, 2002
                        Randy Nulman said:

                        > I agree that knowing how to manually focus is worthwhile..just in
                        > case something goes wrong with the electronic focuser, but I wouldn't
                        > want to rely on it for anything other than the emergency situation
                        > that you pointed out during your imaging of 7662. It's VERY time
                        > consuming and frustrating to focus manually (IMHO)

                        I agree completely. Before I got a RoboFocus, I would spend at least a half
                        hour getting focus. I got very good at it, but it was a huge time
                        expenditure, and I was reluctant to refocus during a session. Now, I
                        routinely refocus a number of times each session (I haven't tackled the
                        temperature compensation thing yet).

                        The thrust of my advice was in keeping with the "keep it simple" philosophy
                        as one goes up the learning curve. The first few months can, IMO, be most
                        beneficially spent really learning the basics--focusing and guiding. Until
                        one becomes pretty proficient at manually focusing, one will not be in a
                        good position to determine whether the auto-focus routine has worked (it
                        does not always work), or whether the scope has lost focus. It also vastly
                        increases your appreciation of the autofocus <g>, like when one stops
                        beating one's head against the wall. I think that, once one gets pretty
                        consistent at focusing and guiding, getting a stepper motor for the focuser,
                        thereby allowing precision auto-focusing, makes perfect sense.

                        I very much missed my auto-focusing while my RoboFocus was out of action,
                        but, because I knew how to focus, I was able to keep imaging, getting both
                        the NGC7662 and the M76 before I got a loaner RoboFocus. Here in Seattle,
                        when we might not get out again until June, it would have bothered me a lot
                        more to have missed three clear nights, than it bothered me to learn to
                        focus manually. In places where you take clear nights for granted, maybe it
                        does not matter so much!

                        Mark de Regt
                        Redmond, Washington, USA

                        47.696270 N.