Re: [SBIG] My CCD purchase

  • Stephane
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
      Hello Ron,

      I read you book but still have problem making my decision :)

      What do you think on my selection:

      From good advises I read from this site I am thinking to eliminate
      the color wheel for now so simplify the learning curve. Do you thing
      a Meade reducer 3.3 or 6.3 will be better for now?

      - SBIG ST-7XE ABG USB CCD Camera
      - OPTECT WideField f/5 Telecompressor System w/ SCT Telescope Mount.
      - OPTECT TCF Temperature Compensating
      - OPTECT IFW color wheel

      Any othe suggestion for CCD selection? (2000-XM???)

      Thanks
      Stephane

      --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "Ron Wodaski" <ronw@n...> wrote:
      > Good advice, but a few small corrections:
      >
      > * He indicated he is getting the Optec f/5 reducer, and I agree
      that it is a
      > good idea to work with a reducer on the LX200 series.
      >
      > * In order to use the F/5 reducer, he must use the Optec filter
      wheel, not
      > the SBIG wheel.
      >
      > Ron Wodaski
      > author of The New CCD Astronomy
      > http://www.newastro.com

      AO-7, but

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2002
        At f/5, the ST-7E gives you a useful but somewhat challenging image scale
        (1.4 arcsec/pix). The ST-2000XM drops you down to 1.2 unbinned, but with a
        much wider FOV. I image at 1.2 and 1.3, and find those image scales to
        require much attention to the accuracy of guiding and tracking. The question
        will be whether your LX200 can handle those image scales out of the box, and
        whether you can manipulate it to do so if not.