Re: [ccd-newastro] Camera control & Image processing software packages

  • JPKam2
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2002
      Thanks Ron,

      Yes the 416XTE is a Meade camera. Since CCDSoft doesn't support this camera a comprehensive comparison of the two for my purposes is a moot point.

      As you say my choice has been made for me and a purchase of MaxIM DL is in the budget queue.

      Jerry K.
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2002
        You'll find that MaxIm DL does far better with the camera than the software
        that comes with it. Enjoy!

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
          Thanks again Ron,

          Since my camera made the decision for me in terms of selecting MaxIM DL I have a follow-up question related to equipping my scope with the most cost effective hardware solution to allow automatic focusing.

          As I mentioned my scope is a Meade LX200. It is currently equipped with a JMI NGF-S electric focuser. In your book you rate this focuser as a good compromise between cost and quality. As I look at the options available to modify the JMI to permit Maxim DL/CCD to control focus it appears that the following hardware upgrades, available from JMI, will be required.

          Digital readout encoder $90
          Smart focus kit (hardware and software) $339
          Digital readout hand controller (optional) $139

          Assuming I forgo the hand controller I'm still faced with an upgrade cost of $429 plus the cost of MaxIm $399. Although I like the JMI I'm not particularly fond of the idea of spending $429 for the upgrade. Especially since the cost of the NGF-S was $260 which makes the total package approximately a $700 solution.

          Would you recommend that I look at other solutions beside an upgrade of the NGF-S? If there is a less expensive solution of equal or higher quality than the JMI solution then I could sell the NGF-S for perhaps half its original cost and make a change to a completely different manufacturers solution.

          Thanks

          Jerry

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Ugly Dog
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
            When faced with the same decision, I opted for the Robo Focus that
            went on the focus knob! Focus Max works fine with MaxIm!
            http://www.homedome.com/robofoc1.htm
            Ugly Dog

            === message truncated ===

            =====
            Ugly Dog
            http://www.bewellweb.com/g42016k/astro.htm

            http://sbc.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2002
              Some thoughts:

              * You might want to keep the NGF-S to use as a motorized focuser on a guide
              scope. This is what I did, and I find it very convenient.

              * The best focusers for the back of an SCT would be the Optec TCF-S, or the
              Van Slyke M3 and M4 (with RoboFocus option required). You can also put a
              RoboFocus on the built-in focuser with good results, but not as good I think
              as what you already have (NGF-S).

              * If you do get SmartFocus, do not get the digital readout hand controller -
              the Smartfocus doubles as a hand controller, with buttons for moving the
              focuser in and out.

[...]

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to