Re: [ccd-newastro] OT photoshop help

  • Bert Katzung
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      Hi Kevin:
      "No 60 meg files with CCD"? Guess again! If you start by enlarging the image
      size and then fool with multiple layers you can get up there without much
      trouble. Not sure about your problem, though---I run Win 2000 Pro with 1 gig
      of RAM and Photoshop 6 and 7 have been pretty happy. PS should go out to the
      disk whenever it runs short on RAM and if it's only finding 233 megs
      *including* disk, that is probably your problem. Can you free up more disk
      space? I haven't had less than 20 gigs extra space on my disk drive, so that
      may be the reason for my lack of trouble. Either way, putting in more RAM
      and a larger (or second) disk is probably well worth while.
      Bert

      Bert Katzung
      katzung1@...
      www.astronomy-images.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
        Thanks Ron and Bert,

        I will play around with that setting. As far as my disk, that
        should be in good shape. Using only about 4 gigs of a 40 gig
        harddrive as it is fairly new. I belive it is ram, but just trying
        to reconcile my situation with folks that are telling me they are
        flipping 90 meg files with 180 megs of ram. Find that hard to
        beleive. Makes me think something is wrong with my set up but my
        hunch is they are not using XP and I understand it is a bit goofy
        with memory management. Regardless of whether they are on XP, even
        the PS help files tell me that many operations need 5x file size
        worth of RAM. I am certainly shy on that.

        Kevin

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/