RE: [ccd-newastro] OT photoshop help

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      85% is too high; that doesn't leave enough memory for other things. I
      typically use 50% of memory for Photoshop.

      So it may not be Photoshop that is running out of Memory, but Windows.

      Ron Wodaski
      author of The New CCD Astronomy
      http://www.newastro.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
        Hi Kevin:
        "No 60 meg files with CCD"? Guess again! If you start by enlarging the image
        size and then fool with multiple layers you can get up there without much
        trouble. Not sure about your problem, though---I run Win 2000 Pro with 1 gig
        of RAM and Photoshop 6 and 7 have been pretty happy. PS should go out to the
        disk whenever it runs short on RAM and if it's only finding 233 megs
        *including* disk, that is probably your problem. Can you free up more disk
        space? I haven't had less than 20 gigs extra space on my disk drive, so that
        may be the reason for my lack of trouble. Either way, putting in more RAM
        and a larger (or second) disk is probably well worth while.
        Bert

        Bert Katzung
        katzung1@...
        www.astronomy-images.com

        > I was hoping one of you might help me solve a memory problem I seem
        > to be having. When doing some manipulations and when going to print,
        > I get error 39's which indicate a memory problem. It indicates its
        > fatal and shuts down on me. From now on, going to save my work. Had
        > an hours work go down tubes tonite.
        >
        > But anyway, I have a brand new p4 xp machine with 256 megs of ram. I
        > have nothing else running except xp. according to my system
        > settings, I have virtual memory set to 500 mb when 380 is
        > recommended. I also have photoshop memory set to 85%. The memory
        > available to photoshop is 233 megs according to the program. Is this
        > just not enough? I was trying to manipulate a 56 meg file with a
        > smear tool to fix a negative scratch. Also had same problem when I
        > went to print the 8x10 300 dpi file which was like 26 megs.
        >
        > Somebody once told me they were flipping 90meg files with 130megs of
        > ram, and with the trouble I am having, I find it so hard to believe.
        > From what I understand in reading help file, it sometimes needs 5x
        > file size worth of free ram for some manipulations. I notice it can
        > do a 90 degree flip, but not a custom angle.
        >
        > Any suggestions or just by ram. guess this is a good reason to use
        > CCD, no 60meg files to play around with!
        >
        > Kevin

      • kevinbm13
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2002
          Thanks Ron and Bert,

          I will play around with that setting. As far as my disk, that
          should be in good shape. Using only about 4 gigs of a 40 gig
          harddrive as it is fairly new. I belive it is ram, but just trying
          to reconcile my situation with folks that are telling me they are
          flipping 90 meg files with 180 megs of ram. Find that hard to
          beleive. Makes me think something is wrong with my set up but my
          hunch is they are not using XP and I understand it is a bit goofy
          with memory management. Regardless of whether they are on XP, even
          the PS help files tell me that many operations need 5x file size
          worth of RAM. I am certainly shy on that.

          Kevin

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/