Use of 'Net Meeting' for Remote Laptop Control

  • tpullen152@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi Group

      I have a query regarding remote control of laptop from a desktop.

      Has anyone successfully opererated their Scope/CCD camera remotely [over
      LAN/Internet] using MS's 'Net Meeting' software included with XP or avalable
      as a free download. from the blurb it would seem possible just wondered if
      anyone had tried and if so how it performed etc?

      What are the alternatives? Apologies for cross posting to Starlight Xpress
      group.

      TIA

      Terry Pullen
      Sussex UK
      51.07N 0.323W

    • Greg Crawford
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2002
        Terry,

        I am using the version of NetMeeting that comes with Windows 2000 Pro to
        successfully control my scope/camera/dome/QuickCam over a radio LAN. It works
        quite well. I have found it works better than VNC, for example.

        Once you have installed NetMeeting on both computers, you must select "Activate
        Remote Desktop Sharing" on the observatory computer.

        There are some things you can do to optimise operation, particularly with a
        radio LAN, like reducing colours on the observatory computer so that
        transmission bandwidth is reduced.

        - Greg Crawford