looking for help on star bloating

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2002
      Could anyone point me in the direction of a fix which will allow me to de-bloat (if there is such a word) the large stars that that develop when taking files in LUMINANCE with the CCD.
      Using LX200 12" and CCD AP47P camera, MaxIm DL/CCD and PS. Auto guided with Televue 76 and STV.
      Have benn having good success in most images but large stars ahe always blobing up the background
      Any help would be appreciated

      Regards
      Brian McGaffney

    • randy_nulman
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 30, 2002
        Hi,
        Deconvolution is always helpful (CCDSharp, AIP4WIN, etc.)..but you
        need good s/n to do this. There was also discussion on the SBIG
        sight about some photoshop techniques that help, but Ron would need
        to chime in on this..I don't fully remember the complete technique.
        (I should have printed it out! <G>)

        Randy Nulman

        --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "Brian" <bmcgaff@o...> wrote:
        > Could anyone point me in the direction of a fix which will allow me
        to de-bloat (if there is such a word) the large stars that that
        develop when taking files in LUMINANCE with the CCD.
        > Using LX200 12" and CCD AP47P camera, MaxIm DL/CCD and PS. Auto
        guided with Televue 76 and STV.
        > Have benn having good success in most images but large stars ahe
        always blobing up the background
        > Any help would be appreciated
        >
        > Regards
        > Brian McGaffney

      • paulkccd
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 30, 2002
          Brian, you may want to try the following two methods:

          http://www.cloudbait.com/science/shiftproc.html

          http://www.astronomy-images.com/Articles/reducing-star-bloat.htm

          I've used the selective, mild minimum filter with some success in PS.

          Regards,

          -Paul K
          http://pk.darkhorizons.org

          --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "Brian" <bmcgaff@o...> wrote:
          > Could anyone point me in the direction of a fix which will allow me
          to de-bloat (if there is such a word) the large stars that that
          develop when taking files in LUMINANCE with the CCD.
          > Using LX200 12" and CCD AP47P camera, MaxIm DL/CCD and PS. Auto
          guided with Televue 76 and STV.
          > Have benn having good success in most images but large stars ahe
          always blobing up the background
          > Any help would be appreciated
          >
          > Regards
          > Brian McGaffney

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2002
            thanks guys --will work on these suggestions and hope for the best

            Regards
            Brian McGaffney

            Brian, you may want to try the following two methods:

            http://www.cloudbait.com/science/shiftproc.html

            http://www.astronomy-images.com/Articles/reducing-star-bloat.htm

            I've used the selective, mild minimum filter with some success in PS.

            Regards,

            -Paul K
            http://pk.darkhorizons.org

            --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "Brian" <bmcgaff@o...> wrote:
            > Could anyone point me in the direction of a fix which will allow me
            to de-bloat (if there is such a word) the large stars that that
            develop when taking files in LUMINANCE with the CCD.
            > Using LX200 12" and CCD AP47P camera, MaxIm DL/CCD and PS. Auto
            guided with Televue 76 and STV.
            > Have benn having good success in most images but large stars ahe
            always blobing up the background
            > Any help would be appreciated
            >
            > Regards
            > Brian McGaffney