First planetary RGBs

  • Paul Sterngold
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
      Inspired by Rod Mollise (from the sct-user group), I tried my hand at my first color
      RGB images last night from my sidewalk here in the heart of the SF Bay Area. The
      results are at:

      Jupiter: http://members.home.com/jsterngold/jupiter3.jpg

      0.05 secs each RGB taken between 10:23p and 10:28p. Combined in Maxim, "High Pass More"
      filter applied. I also had a hot pixel in the red image that I had to deal with.

      Saturn: http://members.home.com/jsterngold/saturn3.jpg

      0.40 secs each RGB taken between 10:57p and 11:00p. Combined in Maxim, "High Pass More"
      filter applied.

      Celestron C9.25 SCT, Losmandy GM8 mount, eyepiece projection with Brandon 16mm for
      approx. 10,000mm focal length. Starlight Xpress MX916 camera, Homeyer CFW with SBIG
      IR-blocking filters.

      I didn't look visually through the scope so I don't know firsthand how good was the
      seeing, but the results seem to indicate that it was quite good. I battled dew all
      night.

      Cheers,
      Paul Sterngold

      http://shopping.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
        As of 9:42am pacific time, I get "server not found" for these link.

        Ron Wodaski
        The New Astronomy Book Site - http://www.newastro.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
          Hi Paul,

          very crisp and well-focused pictures. Colors are wonderful !

          I hope i'll do too my first color planetary within ten days .
          I do planetary with two 2x barlows and as usual with this stuff,
          focusing are my biggest issue.

          Alain
          http://adrozd.free.fr
        • Paul Sterngold
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
            Thank you, Alain. I have an older C9.25 with the built-in focus micrometer, which makes
            it easier to focus. Still, it is challenging, especially with planets, where you can't
            tell if a change in sharpness is the result of a change in the focus, or due to the
            seeing.

            Paul Sterngold

            http://shopping.yahoo.com/