Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Arrakis Observatory Website

  • Tom Mote
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 3, 2002
      I am using Netscape 6.2.1 and have NO trouble viewing both the text and
      pictures
      in Dr. Low's web site. I have an observing friend who hates Microsoft
      so much that
      he uses a Mac and he is NOT able to get the Arrakis web site to even
      come up using
      Internet Explorer 5.1.5 but says it tells him there "...ain't no such
      thing."

      Tom

      jilouus wrote:

      > Too bad your site can't be viewed with Netscape.
      >
      > --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "a72577257" <105202.1673@c...> wrote:
      > > All members are invited to visit my new web site at www.arrakis.cc
      > >
      > > Although it is a work in progress, I hope you find it of interest.
      > >
      > > Bob
      > > -------------
      > > Robert Low, M.D.
      > > Arrakis Observatory
      > > Lake Shetek, MN
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/co/columbiahouse/d_300x250_031_4for49_2.gif>
      > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1705082829:HM/A=1182689/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-1039-335%0A>

      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • jilouus
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 3, 2002
        --- In ccd-newastro@y..., Tom Mote <pytom@t...> wrote:
        > I am using Netscape 6.2.1 and have NO trouble viewing both the text
        and
        > pictures
        > in Dr. Low's web site. I have an observing friend who hates
        Microsoft
        > so much that
        > he uses a Mac and he is NOT able to get the Arrakis web site to even
        > come up using
        > Internet Explorer 5.1.5 but says it tells him there "...ain't no
        such
        > thing."
        >
        > Tom
        >
        > jilouus wrote:
        >
        > > Too bad your site can't be viewed with Netscape.
        > >
        > > --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "a72577257" <105202.1673@c...> wrote:
        > > > All members are invited to visit my new web site at
        www.arrakis.cc

        > > > Although it is a work in progress, I hope you find it of
        interest.

        > > > Bob
        > > > -------------
        > > > Robert Low, M.D.
        > > > Arrakis Observatory
        > > > Lake Shetek, MN
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/co/columbiahouse/d_300x250_031_4f
        or49_2.gif>

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17
        05082829:HM/A=1182689/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-
        1039-335%0A>

        Service

      • jilouus
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3, 2002
          I use Netscape version 4.7 since later versions are not compatable
          with applications I must maintain. Laters versions are also more
          like internet explorer so I won't use them either. It's too bad that
          people do not understand the common language that can be used by both
          browsers.

          Charlie

          --- In ccd-newastro@y..., Tom Mote <pytom@t...> wrote:
          > I am using Netscape 6.2.1 and have NO trouble viewing both the text
          and
          > pictures
          > in Dr. Low's web site. I have an observing friend who hates
          Microsoft
          > so much that
          > he uses a Mac and he is NOT able to get the Arrakis web site to even
          > come up using
          > Internet Explorer 5.1.5 but says it tells him there "...ain't no
          such
          > thing."
          >
          > Tom
          >
          > jilouus wrote:
          >
          > > Too bad your site can't be viewed with Netscape.
          > >
          > > --- In ccd-newastro@y..., "a72577257" <105202.1673@c...> wrote:
          > > > All members are invited to visit my new web site at
          www.arrakis.cc

          > > > Although it is a work in progress, I hope you find it of
          interest.

          > > > Bob
          > > > -------------
          > > > Robert Low, M.D.
          > > > Arrakis Observatory
          > > > Lake Shetek, MN
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/co/columbiahouse/d_300x250_031_4f
          or49_2.gif>

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=228862.2128520.3581629.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=17
          05082829:HM/A=1182689/R=0/*http://adfarm.mediaplex.com/ad/ck/990-1736-
          1039-335%0A>

          Service

        • a72577257
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3, 2002
            Lake Shetek is in SW MN. It is what's called a "prairie lake" and
            is 3600 acres in size. Highest walleye take in the state according
            to the DNR, or so I'm told.

            I have been assembling the components for the observatory and
            working on its design and execution for the past year and a half.
            When it is complete there will be a remotely controlled
            pan/tilt/zoom observatory camera and a video finder scope in place
            with a camera server which I hope to make viewable and controllable
            from the web site in a Java applet. The video from the STV will also
            be accessible from the server.

            I apologize to those who aren't able to view the site. I'm not at
            all knowledgeable about web site development and put the site
            together myself with MS Word. I now have a person helping me to make
            a real web site and hope to have it up and running soon. So, please
            check back now and then, there's lots more detail to come (with
            images to follow).

            Bob
            ---------------
            Robert Low, M.D.
            Arrakis Observatory
            www.arrakis.cc
            Lake Shetek, MN

            --- In ccd-newastro@y..., Bob <rgenung@m...> wrote:
            > Hi, Doc!
            >
            > Wow!! VERY, very impressive! That's a pretty major re-modeling
            job. Spent
            > much of my young life growing up in Minneapolis, and still many
            relatives
            > in and around the Cities. Summers were usually at the place on
            Leach
            > Lake. Where the heck is Lake Shetek? 'Course with 10,000+ of
            them, no
            > reason I should know them all. Seems at one time or another I've
            fished
            > most of them, however.
            >
            > I'd suggest you post this on the "Observatory" Yahoo group:
            know there
            > would be a lot of people there who would really be interested in
            what
            > you're doing! There have been some recent discussions along the
            lines of
            > what you're doing, and others wondering about doing the same.
            >
            > I'm only a GT-1100 owner, although not to long ago that was for me
            the
            > ultimate mount. It will have to continue to be the ultimate mount
            for me
            > for awhile yet, I'm afraid.
            >
            > Bob Genung
            >

            > At 04:24 02/08/2002 +0000, you wrote:
            > >All members are invited to visit my new web site at www.arrakis.cc
            > >
            > >Although it is a work in progress, I hope you find it of interest.
            > >
            > >Bob
          • jilouus
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 4, 2002
              Thank you for sharing your construction pictures with us. After
              showing your site to my wife, I am no longer considering the addition
              of an observatory to our home. She has convinced me that we need a
              small vacation home, in a dark site and on a lake to use as an
              observatory.

              It is amazing how your pictures have changed my life.

              Thank you very much!!

              Charlie Hoffman

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 4, 2002
                MS Word isn't very good as a web page creator. Some versions of Word insert
                extremely questionable HTML codes. Other versions had so much HTML stuff
                that it won't work in some versions of some browsers. You are definitely
                going in the right direction by turning to other tools!

                Ron Wodaski
                author of The New CCD Astronomy
                http://www.newastro.com

                Lake Shetek is in SW MN. It is what's called a "prairie lake" and
                is 3600 acres in size. Highest walleye take in the state according
                to the DNR, or so I'm told.

                I have been assembling the components for the observatory and
                working on its design and execution for the past year and a half.
                When it is complete there will be a remotely controlled
                pan/tilt/zoom observatory camera and a video finder scope in place
                with a camera server which I hope to make viewable and controllable
                from the web site in a Java applet. The video from the STV will also
                be accessible from the server.

                I apologize to those who aren't able to view the site. I'm not at
                all knowledgeable about web site development and put the site
                together myself with MS Word. I now have a person helping me to make
                a real web site and hope to have it up and running soon. So, please
                check back now and then, there's lots more detail to come (with
                images to follow).

                Bob
                ---------------
                Robert Low, M.D.
                Arrakis Observatory
                www.arrakis.cc
                Lake Shetek, MN

                --- In ccd-newastro@y..., Bob <rgenung@m...> wrote:
                > Hi, Doc!
                >
                > Wow!! VERY, very impressive! That's a pretty major re-modeling
                job. Spent
                > much of my young life growing up in Minneapolis, and still many
                relatives
                > in and around the Cities. Summers were usually at the place on
                Leach
                > Lake. Where the heck is Lake Shetek? 'Course with 10,000+ of
                them, no
                > reason I should know them all. Seems at one time or another I've
                fished
                > most of them, however.
                >
                > I'd suggest you post this on the "Observatory" Yahoo group:
                know there
                > would be a lot of people there who would really be interested in
                what
                > you're doing! There have been some recent discussions along the
                lines of
                > what you're doing, and others wondering about doing the same.
                >
                > I'm only a GT-1100 owner, although not to long ago that was for me
                the
                > ultimate mount. It will have to continue to be the ultimate mount
                for me
                > for awhile yet, I'm afraid.
                >
                > Bob Genung
                >

                > At 04:24 02/08/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                > >All members are invited to visit my new web site at www.arrakis.cc
                > >
                > >Although it is a work in progress, I hope you find it of interest.
                > >
                > >Bob

              • a72577257
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 5, 2002
                  I have found this to be true the hard way. The source code seems to
                  be way overcomplicated for just some text and a few pictures pasted
                  in. The site is being redone with Dreamweaver which hopefully will
                  correct most of the problems.

                  I noticed John Smith at Hidden Loft Observatory recently redid his MS
                  Word authored site for similar access difficulties.

                  Well, have to crawl before you run I guess....

                  Bob Low
                  ---------------
                  Arrakis Observatory
                  www.arrakis.cc

                • John Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 5, 2002
                    Hi Bob,

                    From what I've heard, you'll be pleased with DreamWeaver. I looked at it
                    but it was a bit too rich for my blood <g> As Ron says, MS Word generates a
                    *lot* of spurious code. It may be me but I think the site responds faster
                    after the FrontPage rewrite. I do know it is a lot easier to maintain.

                    John
                    www.hiddenloft.darkhorizons.org