Re: [ccd-newastro] RE: Redshift and Narrowband Filters

  • Scott Schafer
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 2, 2013
      zzzzzr

      ________________________________
      From: "stan_ccd@..." <stan_ccd@...>
      To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, September 2, 2013 11:28 AM
      Subject: [ccd-newastro] RE: Redshift and Narrowband Filters

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, <ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > ... objects outside the home group of galaxies light will generally be redshifted, meaning that > hydrogen emissions will appear at a lower frequency... not be transmitted by the H-a filter.

      It is most unlikely that your equipment is capable of discriminating H-a regions in galaxies that far away so it's largely a moot point.    Have you calculated the cosmic distance necessary to shift off the filter?   >   Note that many narrow H-a filters are off-centered from H-a in order to minimize the effects of faster f-ratio light cones, which shift the filter's pass-band by increasing the effective thickness of the interference layers.  This filter shift towards the red should benefit red-shifted galaxies in a slow f-ratio system.   >   Stan

    • Mike Dodd
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 7, 2013
        Scott Schafer wrote:
        > zzzzzr

        To the group.... I apologize for allowing this posting to go through.
        Yahoo's new Web interface Javascript _appeared_ to be non-responsive
        when I tried to reject it, but somehow it became approved. Yahoo has
        really messed-up the Web interface.

        Scott: Please refrain from posting useless messages such as this. It
        contains nothing helpful to other list members. Thank you.

        Mike Dodd, Co-moderator
      • swschafer1953
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 7, 2013

          Mike,

          I just saw your post and would like to clear MY name.  Either there are two "Scott Schafer"s in this Group or else it is some sort of bizarre error.  I have not knowingly posted a message recently in this Group.  I would never post such a rude message.  In fact, I was enjoying this particular thread because much of my work is with NB.

          Best regards,

          Scott       (scott W.schafer)

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 7, 2013
            swschafer1953@... wrote:
            > Mike,
            >
            > I just saw your post and would like to clear MY name. Either there are
            > two "Scott Schafer"s in this Group or else it is some sort of bizarre
            > error. I have not knowingly posted a message recently in this Group. I
            > would never post such a rude message. In fact, I was enjoying this
            > particular thread because much of my work is with NB.
            >
            > Best regards,
            >
            > Scott (scott W.schafer)

            Thank you for your prompt reply, Scott. All I know is what I saw in the
            message that appeared on the list with your name on it.

            Perhaps your account has been hacked.

            I was as surprised as you. I don't know what's going on with Yahoo since
            they changed their website.

            I will keep my eyes open and contact you off-list if another suspicious
            posting with your name on it comes along.

            Thanks again. Sorry for the false alarm.

            --- Mike
          • swschafer1953
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 7, 2013

              Thanks, Mike