New to Plate Solving

  • davidfenster@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
      I have The Sky Level II v5 Demo version and CCDSoft that I am using to plate solve. At least I think I am. I paste the image into the sky and hit the "link wizard" button and hear a taa-daa and stars are matched.

      I am getting 'slightly' better at imaging and finding longer subs are necessary which pushes me to exposing over multiple nights. I want to use plate solving to put the camera back into the exact same spot over multiple nights (camera is left attached to scope). After plate solving, how do I get the mount to slew back to the same place as the previous nights? Do I take a new 'alignment' image the new night; plate solve and sync to 'alignment' image; then slew back to the RA/Dec coords from the previous night. I think there is an easy solution to this but I am just missing it.

      Thanks for any help,

      Dave
    • Tim Stone
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2013
        Dave, that is exactly how you do it. Once you get used to it, it's almost
        automatic and takes very little time. You don't need to use a long exposure
        for the plate solve image(s). 5 seconds is generally enough.

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Tim Stone

        On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM, davidfenster@... <
        davidfenster@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I have The Sky Level II v5 Demo version and CCDSoft that I am using to
        > plate solve. At least I think I am. I paste the image into the sky and hit
        > the "link wizard" button and hear a taa-daa and stars are matched.
        >
        > I am getting 'slightly' better at imaging and finding longer subs are
        > necessary which pushes me to exposing over multiple nights. I want to use
        > plate solving to put the camera back into the exact same spot over multiple
        > nights (camera is left attached to scope). After plate solving, how do I
        > get the mount to slew back to the same place as the previous nights? Do I
        > take a new 'alignment' image the new night; plate solve and sync to
        > 'alignment' image; then slew back to the RA/Dec coords from the previous
        > night. I think there is an easy solution to this but I am just missing it.
        >
        > Thanks for any help,
        >
        > Dave

      • burnative
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2013
          Dave and others,

          I don't have an actual plate solving program in my computer, but was blown away when seeing how exact Microsoft's World Wide Telescope lays in the image I took the other night of the bright nova seen overhead these nights. When fading from my photo to existing data, the stars don't move the slightest.

          My photo showing the nova overlayed on the pre-nova star (magnitude 17) is (with links as what I did) at:
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/edhiker/9542094841

          Ed Johnson

          ------------------------------
          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "davidfenster@..." <davidfenster@...> wrote:

          > I have The Sky Level II v5 Demo version and CCDSoft that I am using to plate solve. At least I think I am. I paste the image into the sky and hit the "link wizard" button and hear a taa-daa and stars are matched. ...............
          >

          > Dave

        • Bob Franke
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2013
            Hello Dave,

            It sounds like you do not have a permanent set up for your telescope. Leaving the camera attached is a good way to go. If you can get the guide star on the chip, you can use CCDSoft to tweak the scope's location. First, write down the guide star X and Y location. On the next night, all you have to do is get the guide star on the chip and use CCDSoft's Move To function to move the guide star to the previous spot on the guide chip. However, you really don't want the guide star at EXACTLY the same location. You want to be off by a couple of pixels. This will greatly reduce noise when you register and stack the sub exposures.

            I suggest looking into the AutoDither plug-in for CCDSoft.
            http://darkhorizons.emissionline.com/AutoDither.htm

            If you cannot easily reacquire the guide star, you may need to do a plate solve and sync. Be sure to set the time on your computer every night with the Windows Internet Time Sync.

            Hope this helps,
            Bob
            http://bf-astro.com