RE: [ccd-newastro] Re: Mirametrics Software??

  • Eddie Trimarchi
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 30, 2013
      I used Mira AP for several years mainly because it was the best at the
      time, that I'd tried , at calibration, registration and alignment with rock
      solid, repeatable and consistently stable performance.

      Unlike Don, I had very good experience with customer support which at the
      time was provided by Mike Newberry, the author of the software and owner of
      the company. We exchanged many support emails over time.

      I had no complaints about the software or support and only remember good
      things about it.

      I actually can't remember my reasons for gravitating away from Mira, but it
      was probably a consequence of trying and sticking with new processing
      software that became available over time.

      Best Regards,

      Eddie Trimarchi
      http://astroshed.com

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 31, 2013
        Many thanks to all who have replied.

        What started my search for other software is that sometimes when I would 'blink through' images that were aligned with CCD-Stack, some of the images looked like they had a 'wave' rippling through it. The final image would look ok but I was curious about other alignment software.

        I have CCD-Stack (still my favorite) and PixInsight (still on a steep learning curve). CCD-Stack makes far better images *for me* than Pixinsight.

        MaxIm DL is my preferred software for image calibration. Use 'Set Calibration' and 'Batch Save And Convert' and the job is done. Neat.

        Regards to all.

        Larry

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie Trimarchi" <eddiet@...> wrote:

        > I used Mira AP for several years mainly because it was the best at the
        > time, that I'd tried , at calibration, registration and alignment with rock
        > solid, repeatable and consistently stable performance.
        >
        > Unlike Don, I had very good experience with customer support which at the
        > time was provided by Mike Newberry, the author of the software and owner of
        > the company. We exchanged many support emails over time.
        >
        > I had no complaints about the software or support and only remember good
        > things about it.
        >
        > I actually can't remember my reasons for gravitating away from Mira, but it
        > was probably a consequence of trying and sticking with new processing
        > software that became available over time.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Eddie Trimarchi
        > http://astroshed.com

      • Neil Fleming
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 31, 2013
          The "waves" are probably due to the partial shift of pixels as you apply the registration, based on the algorithm you select (Quadratic B-Spline, etc...)  As far as I know, the only method that would *not* result in individual images having these pixel shift effects in them would be "Nearest Neighbor", which incorporates a full-pixel shift and is used in only very well-sampled situations.

          Since these mathematical effects are due to the underlying algorithm being applied, *all* software would exhibit this result.  The degree to which it would be visible to your eyes in that image processing software, however, would indeed vary depending on the software being used.

             Cheers...Neil

          www.flemingastrophotography.com
          Also check out the astro_narrowbandYahoo group!

        • Stan
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 31, 2013
            --- "larryl" <k3fit@...> wrote:
            >... when I would 'blink through' images that were aligned with
            > CCDStack, some of the images looked like they had a 'wave'
            > rippling through it. The final image would look ok...

            That artifact would be noticeable when using Nearest Neighbor resampling, esp if there is any rotation. And as you note this will disappear in the stack combine. To completely eliminate that artifact from the sub-exps use a different resample method (e.g. Bi-cubic).

            Stan
          • Neil Fleming
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 31, 2013
              Thanks for the correction, Stan.

                 Cheers...Neil

              www.flemingastrophotography.com
              Also check out the astro_narrowbandYahoo group!

            • larryl
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 31, 2013
                I just added a file (Registration-CCD-Inspector Results.csv) to the Larry Leitch folder.

                I picked 15 luminance files binned 1x1 (all calibrated by Maxim) and aligned them using each of the resampling algorithms. The next step was to create a master for each - using CCD-Stack normalize, data rejection, and combine. Each of the resulting masters was loaded into CCD-Inspector.

                The aspect ratio varied from a low of 12 for the quadratic B-Spline to 15 for 5 other algorithms.

                Larry