Re: Mirametrics Software??

  • Pedro
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 29, 2013
      Hay Larry,

      I've been using Mira Pro (and Mira Pro Ultimate) intensively for some years working on photometry.

      Mira Pro is mainly focus on scientific working (precission photometry in my case). On this realm it is a powerful tool. Long time ago I did some comparison test on several software packages for photometry (including the most popular software tools like CCDStack, MaxIm, ...). The result was that Mira Pro and AIP4WIN (V2) were the most adequate for my job (variable starts and exoplanets).
      - Note1: MPO Canopus was another software package I was considering to use.
      - Note2: IRAF is the professional way, but the leraning curve (for installing, managing and using is very steep).
      - Note3: MaxIm DL offers a very interesting tool for exaplanet high precission photometry: the "artificial star", but just that feature didn't justify the purchase in my case).

      Mira Pro provides some useful functions for image processing, but I won't say it is a candidate for "pretty printing" processing.

      The support responsiveness from Mira is very good (it could even be overwhelming ;-).

      If you are looking for working in the photometry realm, Mira Pro (or AIP4IN) are very good candidates. (True is that I haven't do any futher research recently on new processing software). In that case, I'd subscribe to AAVSO forum to get better advice. You could even find people form Mira Pro and AIP4WIN support participating in that forum.

      Regards.
      Pedro

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "larryl" <k3fit@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Has anybody used Mira software ( http://www.mirametrics.com/ )?
      > How does this compare with other programs such as Pixinsight? Better results? Easier to use? Cheaper?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Larry Leitch

    • Terry
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 29, 2013
        Dear Larry
        I use Mira Pro7 but not for "pretty pics"
        It is very good at preprocessing and will sort a folder of images taken with different filters and exposure times using correctly scaled darks and different flats for each filter etc.
        My interest is photometry and I have found the preprocessing better than any other program I have tried apart from IRAF and IRAF is a pain to use.
        The photometry results using Mira are very accurate and reproducable.
        Having said this I don't think I would use it for pretty pic imaging. It is very good at combining images but isn't terribly easy to use. It certainly isn't a 1 button push programme.

        Cheers

        Terry

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "larryl" <k3fit@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Has anybody used Mira software ( http://www.mirametrics.com/ )?
        > How does this compare with other programs such as Pixinsight? Better results? Easier to use? Cheaper?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Larry Leitch

      • nessus359
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 30, 2013
          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "larryl" <k3fit@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Has anybody used Mira software ( http://www.mirametrics.com/ )?
          > How does this compare with other programs such as Pixinsight? Better results? Easier to use? Cheaper?
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Larry Leitch

          Mira is a research grade software package designed to compete with IRAF for data reduction and analysis. While it contains a lot of image processing features, it is not focused on generating pretty pictures. It contains an extremely powerful scripting language that can be used to automate the data reduction pipeline.
          If you are interested in doing science, this is a good package to look at.

          Hope this helps.

          IRAF User for 17 years
          Mira user for 4 years
        • Eddie Trimarchi
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 30, 2013
            I used Mira AP for several years mainly because it was the best at the
            time, that I'd tried , at calibration, registration and alignment with rock
            solid, repeatable and consistently stable performance.

            Unlike Don, I had very good experience with customer support which at the
            time was provided by Mike Newberry, the author of the software and owner of
            the company. We exchanged many support emails over time.

            I had no complaints about the software or support and only remember good
            things about it.

            I actually can't remember my reasons for gravitating away from Mira, but it
            was probably a consequence of trying and sticking with new processing
            software that became available over time.

            Best Regards,

            Eddie Trimarchi
            http://astroshed.com

            > How does this compare with other programs such as Pixinsight? Better
            results? Easier to use? Cheaper?

            > Thanks.
            >
            > Larry Leitch

            Mira is a research grade software package designed to compete with IRAF for
            data reduction and analysis. While it contains a lot of image processing
            features, it is not focused on generating pretty pictures. It contains an
            extremely powerful scripting language that can be used to automate the data
            reduction pipeline.
            If you are interested in doing science, this is a good package to look at.

            Hope this helps.

            IRAF User for 17 years
            Mira user for 4 years

            ------------------------------------
          • larryl
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 31, 2013
              Many thanks to all who have replied.

              What started my search for other software is that sometimes when I would 'blink through' images that were aligned with CCD-Stack, some of the images looked like they had a 'wave' rippling through it. The final image would look ok but I was curious about other alignment software.

              I have CCD-Stack (still my favorite) and PixInsight (still on a steep learning curve). CCD-Stack makes far better images *for me* than Pixinsight.

              MaxIm DL is my preferred software for image calibration. Use 'Set Calibration' and 'Batch Save And Convert' and the job is done. Neat.

              Regards to all.

              Larry

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie Trimarchi" <eddiet@...> wrote:

              > I used Mira AP for several years mainly because it was the best at the
              > time, that I'd tried , at calibration, registration and alignment with rock
              > solid, repeatable and consistently stable performance.
              >
              > Unlike Don, I had very good experience with customer support which at the
              > time was provided by Mike Newberry, the author of the software and owner of
              > the company. We exchanged many support emails over time.
              >
              > I had no complaints about the software or support and only remember good
              > things about it.
              >
              > I actually can't remember my reasons for gravitating away from Mira, but it
              > was probably a consequence of trying and sticking with new processing
              > software that became available over time.
              >
              > Best Regards,
              >
              > Eddie Trimarchi
              > http://astroshed.com

            • Neil Fleming
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 31, 2013
                The "waves" are probably due to the partial shift of pixels as you apply the registration, based on the algorithm you select (Quadratic B-Spline, etc...)  As far as I know, the only method that would *not* result in individual images having these pixel shift effects in them would be "Nearest Neighbor", which incorporates a full-pixel shift and is used in only very well-sampled situations.

                Since these mathematical effects are due to the underlying algorithm being applied, *all* software would exhibit this result.  The degree to which it would be visible to your eyes in that image processing software, however, would indeed vary depending on the software being used.

                   Cheers...Neil

                www.flemingastrophotography.com
                Also check out the astro_narrowbandYahoo group!

              • Stan
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 31, 2013
                  --- "larryl" <k3fit@...> wrote:
                  >... when I would 'blink through' images that were aligned with
                  > CCDStack, some of the images looked like they had a 'wave'
                  > rippling through it. The final image would look ok...

                  That artifact would be noticeable when using Nearest Neighbor resampling, esp if there is any rotation. And as you note this will disappear in the stack combine. To completely eliminate that artifact from the sub-exps use a different resample method (e.g. Bi-cubic).

                  Stan
                • Neil Fleming
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 31, 2013
                    Thanks for the correction, Stan.

                       Cheers...Neil

                    www.flemingastrophotography.com
                    Also check out the astro_narrowbandYahoo group!

                  • larryl
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 31, 2013
                      I just added a file (Registration-CCD-Inspector Results.csv) to the Larry Leitch folder.

                      I picked 15 luminance files binned 1x1 (all calibrated by Maxim) and aligned them using each of the resampling algorithms. The next step was to create a master for each - using CCD-Stack normalize, data rejection, and combine. Each of the resulting masters was loaded into CCD-Inspector.

                      The aspect ratio varied from a low of 12 for the quadratic B-Spline to 15 for 5 other algorithms.

                      Larry