Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Problem with RoboFocus.

    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
      Here's how it works.

      The USB to serial adapter sets up a virtual COM port via its USB connection. That COM port has a number; you can find it in Device Manager.

      YOu have to tell the RoboFocus software what COM port it is attached to; that would be the number as above.

      So you do have to install the USB to serial adapter drivers before you do anything else. (And on Windows, you typically want to install USB drivers first, then attach the USB device.)

      Ron Wodaski

      On Jul 24, 2013, at 1:58 AM, Leonard Ellul-Mercer <lellulmercer@...> wrote:

      > Thank you, Richard,
      >
      > Yes, there is a USB to Serial adapter.
      >
      > So does it mean that there should be a comport for the U/Ser adapter and
      > another comport for the Robofocus.
      > In other words should I first insert the usb/serial adapter into the usb
      > port install the specific driver for the adapter and then install robofocus?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Leonard
      >

      > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM, rwright@... <
      > rwright@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I didn't know Robofocus had a USB controller? Are you using a USB to
      >> serial adapter? You might (probably) need to install a specific driver for
      >> that USB adapter, then configure it for a specific COM port.
      >>
      >> You might have already thought of that… but if not, it was worth throwing
      >> out ;-)
      >>
      >> Richard
      >>
      >> On Jul 23, 2013, at 7:42 AM, Leonard Ellul-Mercer <lellulmercer@...>
      >> wrote:
      >>
      >>> Hello Mike,
      >>>
      >>> It is a USB interface, the Robofocus is powered on and the USB port is
      >> the
      >>> correct
      >>> one. This has also happened with my other XP Laptop. However, on my 3rd
      >>> laptop
      >>> it installed correctly. Don't know why this happened.
      >>>
      >>> Still thank you very much.
      >>>
      >>> Kind regards,

    • Mike Dodd
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
        Leonard Ellul-Mercer wrote:
        > Yes, there is a USB to Serial adapter.
        >
        > So does it mean that there should be a comport for the U/Ser adapter and
        > another comport for the Robofocus.
        > In other words should I first insert the usb/serial adapter into the usb
        > port install the specific driver for the adapter and then install robofocus?

        No, I don't think so. What Ron wrote is correct. Windows sets up a COM
        port for any USB device when it is first plugged in. With a USB/RS-232
        adapter, the adapter itself is assigned the port number, and simply
        translates the USB data to serial data on the RS-232 port. No additional
        COM number is needed.

        What you need to do is open Device Manager and see what port Windows has
        assigned to your adapter. If it's a multi-port device, there will be
        two COM numbers. Enter one of these COM numbers in the Robofocus
        software and see if you can control the Robofocus. If not, enter the
        next COM number and try again. Eventually you should stumble onto the
        correct COM number.

        I don't know if or how your adapter sets the Baud rate on the RS-232
        line. Hopefully your Robofocus and adapter are set to the same speed.
        Read the adapter manual.

        Hope this helps.

        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
          Mike Dodd wrote:
          > What you need to do is open Device Manager and see what port Windows has
          > assigned to your adapter. If it's a multi-port device, there will be
          > two COM numbers.

          Sorry. I meant to write "two _or_more_ COM numbers."

          Mike Dodd
          http://astronomy.mdodd.com
          Louisa County, Virginia USA N37.58.23 W77.56.24
        • Leonard Ellul-Mercer
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 24, 2013
            Thank you Ron & Mike

            I shall check it out tomorrow and see how we get along.

            Thanks once again.

            Leonard.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
              Hello Ron & Mike,
              I did as you suggested with one of my robofocuses and all went well. When I
              tried doing the same procedure with my 2nd. robofocus using the same
              laptop, I got the same error as previous. However, this particular
              robofocus works well with my other laptop. I am a bit confused as to why it
              did not work with my new laptop.

              Any idea?

              Thanks,

              Leonard.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                That depends - how did the second one fail? I was never completely clear about what error you ran into originally.

                Ron Wodaski

                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                  I am getting
                  "Error 8020: Error reading Comm device"

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                    That is a very obscure and unusual error to be getting. it could occur if there are incorrect parameters set for the serial port (not very likely; RoboFocus is setting those), or if there is a problem with the serial driver for your hardware. (possible, but you'd have to get an updated driver to see if it fixed the problem).

                    This is the sort of problem that may be best evaluated by the manufacturer of the hardware, either the USB to serial or Robofocus, as I can't say for sure where the problem might be located.

                    It's a pretty unusual problem. I've never run into it myself. Microsoft's own support site has no hits when I search for that error; the only info I found was from older threads on programming forums. It's possible that the origin of the problem is a mis-match between a modern USB to serial converter and the probably pretty old code in the RoboFocus app (it looks to me like it's probably VB 5 or 6). Normally, legacy serial works fine with modern hardware, but there are occasional exceptions. (I stick with the same brand of USB to serial; once you find one that works reliably.)

                    The only thing I can think of is to go into Device Manager and check every possible setting to make sure it's OK. But you may have to use support from one or both manufacturers to track this down.

                    Ron Wodaski

                  • Robert Woodard
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                      Not sure if this will help:

                      http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318784

                      On Jul 25, 2013, at 6:59 PM, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:

                      > It's a pretty unusual problem. I've never run into it myself. Microsoft's own support site has no hits when I search for that error; the only info I found was from older threads on programming forums. It's possible that the origin of the problem is a mis-match between a modern USB to serial converter
                    • Mark Striebeck
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                        I would guess that this is an incompatibility between your usb/serial
                        converter and the new laptop. There are lots of stories (here or other
                        forums) about usb/serial converters not working correctly with specific
                        hardware. Could you try another converter (borrowing it from somebody?)
                        with robofocus and your laptop?

                        MarkS

                      • Mark Acker
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                          FWIW, 2 that I know for a fact work well under W7 both 32- and 64-bit are Keyspan USA-19HS and StarTech IC2321x.  I have just switched from the former to the latter because the latter hold their COM port assignments, no matter what.  I'm mobile only and this is a really useful feature for me since I need two of them.

                          As it happens, since one of the adapters is used to control an Astrodon Takometer, it will definitely work with a Robofocus since the motor and control box are Robofocus devices.

                          Mark

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 25, 2013
                            It's not so much the Robofocus as your computer and the USB serial converter that are more frequently the issue.

                            We've had good success with Keyspan; that's all we use now.

                            Ron Wodaski

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 26, 2013
                              Thank you all for your kind help, much appreciated!!

                              My conclusion, for the time being, is, as Mark said, the usb/serial adaptor
                              is incompatible with my new laptop. This has happened already some years
                              back (I had forgotten about it).

                              However, the other usb/serial adaptor of my robofocus of my other setup,
                              worked OK with my new laptop and Robofocus installed well. What is a bit
                              strange is that this "problematic" usb/serial adaptor works fine with my
                              other previous laptop with windows XP.

                              The usb/serial driver I used worked OK with my other robofocus on my new
                              Windows 7 laptop. So it is a bit confusing.

                              In order not to complicate matters, I think for the time being I shall
                              leave all as it is. Use my XP laptop with the "problematic:" usb/serial
                              adaptor (with which I works OK) and the Window 7 laptop with my other setup
                              which works fine with it.

                              Thank you once again for your help.

                              Best regards,

                              Leonard.