Re: Speaking of FITS files

  • astroimagek
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2013
      David,

      AIP4Win, which is included with Richard Berry and Jim Burnell's "Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing," has a "Series Analysis Tool" which allows you to gather all kinds of great information about FITS files and then drop the results into a CSV file that can then be imported into a spreadsheet.

      Not only will it collect FITS header info but you can also do image statistics on the whole image or a subframe. I find it invaluable for a wide variety of test and analysis tasks.

      Kevin
      www.QSImaging.com

      --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "davidfenster@..." <davidfenster@...> wrote:

      > Is there a utility/way to grab the FITS header info from a folder of files? Like a batch routine that just gets the header info and puts it in a spreadsheet so I can figure out which file is which (exposure/bin/etc) to start processing. I usually put the relevant info in the filename, but sometimes don't get it right and always check each file.
      >
      > Thanks

    • Bob Franke
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23, 2013
        CFITSIO is a library of C and Fortran subroutines for reading and writing data files in FITS data format. That's fine if you are a C or Fortran programmer. Most amateur astronomers are not. For them, the CFITSIO library is absolutely useless.

        To do this right, a program needs to be told what keywords to look for, in what order and what to do when they are found. Then the software should automatically rename the files.

        AIP4Win sounds like it is close. Will it read an entire directory and rename the files?

        Cheers,
        Bob
        http://bf-astro.com

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Orlando Andico <orly.andico@...> wrote:

        > AFAIK cfitsio already does this... (modhead and listhead commands)
        >

        > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 1:56 AM, Bob Franke <bfranke@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Interesting, I may need a new programming project. The Arizona monsoon
        > > season is in full swing. Out of the last 40 nights, only one has been
        > > clear. Usually I can get about 10 nights a month at this time of year.
        > >
        > > It would be fairly easy to write a program to read the header and
        > > automatically rename the files.
        > >
        > > Is there crying need for such a program?
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > Bob
        > >
        > > --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "davidfenster@" <davidfenster@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Is there a utility/way to grab the FITS header info from a folder of
        > > files? Like a batch routine that just gets the header info and puts it in a
        > > spreadsheet so I can figure out which file is which (exposure/bin/etc) to
        > > start processing. I usually put the relevant info in the filename, but
        > > sometimes don't get it right and always check each file.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks
        > > >

        > --
        > Orlando Andico
        > +65.6436.1577 | +65.8139.0251

      • astroimagek
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2013
          Bob,

          AIP4Win will gather stats on all the images in a directory but it doesn't include the ability to rename the files.

          Kevin