Re: [ccd-newastro] A way to view FITS files on a Mac

  • Eddie Trimarchi
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22 3:31 PM
      FITS4Win2 has been available for a couple of years and works with 32-bit
      and 64-bit Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

      It's not free, but I am doing final testing on a 14-day trial which should
      be available within the week.

      You can read more about it here:

      http://astroshed.com/fits4win/fits4win2doc.htm

      Basically, it adds thumbnails and previews of FITS images throughout
      Windows and the ability to load FITS images into any Windows application
      that supports the Windows image component.

      The software also adds standard and custom image properties from the header
      data.

      If you have any questions about it, please ask.

      Eddie Trimarchi
      http://astroshed.com

      On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM, rwright@... <
      rwright@...> wrote:

      > Thanks! Works great on Mountain Lion too (web site says snow leopard).
      > What a time saver!
      >
      > Richard
      >
      > On Jul 22, 2013, at 1:54 PM, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:
      >
      > > If you are working with FITS files on a Mac, you really need to get a
      > copy of QLFits:
      > >
      > > http://onekilopars.ec/qlfits/index.html
      > >
      > > One good reason: when you are viewing FITS files, QLFits will display
      > the icon as an image. Makes it vastly easier to scan through a directory of
      > files.
      > >
      > > Another good reason: when you use the Mac's Quick Look feature, you can
      > see both the image and the FITS header information. Invaluable.
      > >
      > > Once QLFits is installed, you can adjust its behavior using the System
      > Preferences tool--there is a pane for QLFits settings with preferences.
      > >
      > > Highly recommended for Mac users.
      > >
      > > Ron Wodaski

      Eddie Trimarchi
    • astroimagek
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 23 4:32 PM
        FITS4Win2 works great. My favorite feature is showing thumbnails in Explorer.

        Kevin

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Trimarchi <eddiet@...> wrote:

        > FITS4Win2 has been available for a couple of years and works with 32-bit
        > and 64-bit Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
        >
        > It's not free, but I am doing final testing on a 14-day trial which should
        > be available within the week.
        >
        > You can read more about it here:
        >
        > http://astroshed.com/fits4win/fits4win2doc.htm
        >
        > Basically, it adds thumbnails and previews of FITS images throughout
        > Windows and the ability to load FITS images into any Windows application
        > that supports the Windows image component.
        >
        > The software also adds standard and custom image properties from the header
        > data.
        >
        > If you have any questions about it, please ask.
        >
        > Eddie Trimarchi
        > http://astroshed.com
        >

        > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM, rwright@... <
        > rwright@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Thanks! Works great on Mountain Lion too (web site says snow leopard).
        > > What a time saver!
        > >
        > > Richard
        > >
        > > On Jul 22, 2013, at 1:54 PM, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > If you are working with FITS files on a Mac, you really need to get a
        > > copy of QLFits:
        > > >
        > > > http://onekilopars.ec/qlfits/index.html
        > > >
        > > > One good reason: when you are viewing FITS files, QLFits will display
        > > the icon as an image. Makes it vastly easier to scan through a directory of
        > > files.
        > > >
        > > > Another good reason: when you use the Mac's Quick Look feature, you can
        > > see both the image and the FITS header information. Invaluable.
        > > >
        > > > Once QLFits is installed, you can adjust its behavior using the System
        > > Preferences tool--there is a pane for QLFits settings with preferences.
        > > >
        > > > Highly recommended for Mac users.
        > > >
        > > > Ron Wodaski

        > --
        > Regards,