A way to view FITS files on a Mac

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22 10:54 AM
      If you are working with FITS files on a Mac, you really need to get a copy of QLFits:

      http://onekilopars.ec/qlfits/index.html

      One good reason: when you are viewing FITS files, QLFits will display the icon as an image. Makes it vastly easier to scan through a directory of files.

      Another good reason: when you use the Mac's Quick Look feature, you can see both the image and the FITS header information. Invaluable.

      Once QLFits is installed, you can adjust its behavior using the System Preferences tool--there is a pane for QLFits settings with preferences.

      Highly recommended for Mac users.

      Ron Wodaski
    • Mark Striebeck
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22 12:22 PM
        Is there something similar for Windows available? I'm using the Nasa Fits
        liberator, but it has the significant drawback that it shows generic icons
        in explorer.

        Thanks
        MarkS

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22 1:02 PM
          I'm not that familiar with the Windows world these days. Anyone know of a FITS file viewer for Windows that is similar to QLFits?

          Ron Wodaski

        • rwright@starstonesoftware.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 22 1:25 PM
            Thanks! Works great on Mountain Lion too (web site says snow leopard). What a time saver!

            Richard

            On Jul 22, 2013, at 1:54 PM, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:

            > If you are working with FITS files on a Mac, you really need to get a copy of QLFits:
            >
            > http://onekilopars.ec/qlfits/index.html
            >
            > One good reason: when you are viewing FITS files, QLFits will display the icon as an image. Makes it vastly easier to scan through a directory of files.
            >
            > Another good reason: when you use the Mac's Quick Look feature, you can see both the image and the FITS header information. Invaluable.
            >
            > Once QLFits is installed, you can adjust its behavior using the System Preferences tool--there is a pane for QLFits settings with preferences.
            >
            > Highly recommended for Mac users.

          • Eddie Trimarchi
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 22 3:31 PM
              FITS4Win2 has been available for a couple of years and works with 32-bit
              and 64-bit Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

              It's not free, but I am doing final testing on a 14-day trial which should
              be available within the week.

              You can read more about it here:

              http://astroshed.com/fits4win/fits4win2doc.htm

              Basically, it adds thumbnails and previews of FITS images throughout
              Windows and the ability to load FITS images into any Windows application
              that supports the Windows image component.

              The software also adds standard and custom image properties from the header
              data.

              If you have any questions about it, please ask.

              Eddie Trimarchi
              http://astroshed.com

              On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM, rwright@... <
              rwright@...> wrote:

              > Thanks! Works great on Mountain Lion too (web site says snow leopard).
              > What a time saver!
              >
              > Richard
              >
              > On Jul 22, 2013, at 1:54 PM, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:
              >
              > > If you are working with FITS files on a Mac, you really need to get a
              > copy of QLFits:
              > >
              > > http://onekilopars.ec/qlfits/index.html
              > >
              > > One good reason: when you are viewing FITS files, QLFits will display
              > the icon as an image. Makes it vastly easier to scan through a directory of
              > files.
              > >
              > > Another good reason: when you use the Mac's Quick Look feature, you can
              > see both the image and the FITS header information. Invaluable.
              > >
              > > Once QLFits is installed, you can adjust its behavior using the System
              > Preferences tool--there is a pane for QLFits settings with preferences.
              > >
              > > Highly recommended for Mac users.
              > >
              > > Ron Wodaski

              Eddie Trimarchi
            • astroimagek
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 23 4:32 PM
                FITS4Win2 works great. My favorite feature is showing thumbnails in Explorer.

                Kevin

                --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Trimarchi <eddiet@...> wrote:

                > FITS4Win2 has been available for a couple of years and works with 32-bit
                > and 64-bit Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
                >
                > It's not free, but I am doing final testing on a 14-day trial which should
                > be available within the week.
                >
                > You can read more about it here:
                >
                > http://astroshed.com/fits4win/fits4win2doc.htm
                >
                > Basically, it adds thumbnails and previews of FITS images throughout
                > Windows and the ability to load FITS images into any Windows application
                > that supports the Windows image component.
                >
                > The software also adds standard and custom image properties from the header
                > data.
                >
                > If you have any questions about it, please ask.
                >
                > Eddie Trimarchi
                > http://astroshed.com
                >

                > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 6:25 AM, rwright@... <
                > rwright@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Thanks! Works great on Mountain Lion too (web site says snow leopard).
                > > What a time saver!
                > >
                > > Richard
                > >
                > > On Jul 22, 2013, at 1:54 PM, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > If you are working with FITS files on a Mac, you really need to get a
                > > copy of QLFits:
                > > >
                > > > http://onekilopars.ec/qlfits/index.html
                > > >
                > > > One good reason: when you are viewing FITS files, QLFits will display
                > > the icon as an image. Makes it vastly easier to scan through a directory of
                > > files.
                > > >
                > > > Another good reason: when you use the Mac's Quick Look feature, you can
                > > see both the image and the FITS header information. Invaluable.
                > > >
                > > > Once QLFits is installed, you can adjust its behavior using the System
                > > Preferences tool--there is a pane for QLFits settings with preferences.
                > > >
                > > > Highly recommended for Mac users.
                > > >
                > > > Ron Wodaski

                > --
                > Regards,