Re: Another question about color calibration

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 13, 2013
      --- Mark Striebeck <mark.striebeck@...> wrote:
      > I then stacked them with CCDStack and color combined them.

      When creating the color images, were all of the color ratios set to 1.0 for both images?

      Those "unweighted" images look pretty good, though not exactly alike in terms of the relative ratios of star colors. The nebulas do look realistic and compare well with other color pics - the Bubble is near-monotone red whereas the Crescent has a bluish haze. IMHO those images' color balances are very nearly "correct" and should be tweaked only slightly (if at all).

      > ...weights from XCalibrator applied (without any stretching)

      I have no experience with XCalibrator. It seems to me that if the conditions and sky alt were similar for both images then the same (or very similar) ratios should be applied to both images. To my eye, both of the XCalibrator weighted images look wrong for nebula and star colors (there are some green stars in the Crescent which is a no-no).

      So maybe you are not operating XCalibrator correctly?

      Stan