Re: [ccd-newastro] Recovering T-point files from crashed computer & more

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8 11:34 AM
      For TheSky 6, the TPoint info is in the .sky file. These are normally found in:

      /My Documents/Software Bisque/TheSky6/Documents/

      However, they can be saved by the user to other folders.

      Ron Wodaski

      On Jul 8, 2013, at 9:22 AM, Rick <rickwiggins@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      > I am in the process of recovering a catastrophic computer failure in my Observatory. I would like to recover several key files; however, I do not know which exact files I need or where to find them. The information I would like to recover most are these two files:
      >
      > The T-point model (maybe this is in a file in TheSky 6?)
      >
      > The FocusMax V-curve file (is this a ".INI file in the Focusmax Program folder?)
      >
      > I think I may be able to access the old hard drive, although the damage is severe, so finding the files may be challenging. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
      > Thanks, Rick

    • Rick
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9 10:02 AM
        Thank you Mark!
        Rick

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Mark Acker <markacker@...> wrote:

        > Not sure about the TPoint files, but your FMax files should be in a FocusMax subdirectory of your My Documents/Documents folder, depending on if your old PC was XP or W7.  Yes, this is an .ini file.
        >
        > When I opened TPoint and went to File-->Open, it defaults to looking for .tpt files in the root of the My Documents folder as well, so that might be the place to start.  It seems that TPoint under TSX stores them in the TPoint folder in My Docs/Documents.
        >
        > HTH,
        > Mark
        >

        > ________________________________

      • Rick
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9 10:04 AM
          Thanks Ron,
          That's what I was looking for and suspected. Now for the drive file recover process!
          Thanks, Rick

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > For TheSky 6, the TPoint info is in the .sky file. These are normally found in:
          >
          > /My Documents/Software Bisque/TheSky6/Documents/
          >
          > However, they can be saved by the user to other folders.
          >
          > Ron Wodaski
          >

          > On Jul 8, 2013, at 9:22 AM, Rick <rickwiggins@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi All,
          > > I am in the process of recovering a catastrophic computer failure in my Observatory. I would like to recover several key files; however, I do not know which exact files I need or where to find them. The information I would like to recover most are these two files:
          > >
          > > The T-point model (maybe this is in a file in TheSky 6?)
          > >
          > > The FocusMax V-curve file (is this a ".INI file in the Focusmax Program folder?)
          > >
          > > I think I may be able to access the old hard drive, although the damage is severe, so finding the files may be challenging. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
          > > Thanks, Rick

        • Mark Acker
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9 11:56 AM
            Sure thing.  Clearly I was wrong about the TPoint files, but I see Ron sorted it out.  Good luck with the recovery process.

            Mark

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9 12:16 PM
              Didn't you refer to TheSkyX? The storage may vary between that and TheSky 6. I'm still using 6; have never quite figured out the X version. :-(

              Ron Wodaski

              On Jul 9, 2013, at 11:56 AM, Mark Acker <markacker@...> wrote:

              > Sure thing. Clearly I was wrong about the TPoint files, but I see Ron sorted it out. Good luck with the recovery process.
              >
              > Mark
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Mark Acker
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 9 12:43 PM
                I actually referred to both, but I was wrong about TPoint for TS6.  They do appear to store files in different places.

                Mark

                Didn't you refer to TheSkyX? The storage may vary between that and TheSky 6. I'm still using 6; have never quite figured out the X version. :-(

                Ron Wodaski

                On Jul 9, 2013, at 11:56 AM, Mark Acker <markacker@...> wrote:

                > Sure thing.  Clearly I was wrong about the TPoint files, but I see Ron sorted it out.  Good luck with the recovery process.
                >
                > Mark

              • Rick
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10 7:12 AM
                  Not sure if that was directed at me or Mark; however, I am using TheSky6 Pro. I have "X", but like you, have not taken the time to sort it all out.