USB to serial converter

  • dcb84121
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2013
      In case it's my present 8 port USB/Serial hub that is causing intermittent problems, what is a recommended replacement brand/model of an 8 port USB to Serial Converter?
      David Bailey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2013
        The one that we have had the most success with is the single-USB-port model by Keyspan. Model USA-19HS. We have not tired any multi-port models. It always seemed like it was a lot just to get one working. ;-)

        Ron Wodaski

        On Jul 2, 2013, at 11:13 AM, dcb84121 <davealta@...> wrote:

        > In case it's my present 8 port USB/Serial hub that is causing intermittent problems, what is a recommended replacement brand/model of an 8 port USB to Serial Converter?
        > David Bailey

      • valrayco
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
          David:

          I have used the 2, 4, and 8 port version of the Edgeport USB-ser converters. They are pretty bullet proof as far as problems are concerned, as I have used them with Robo Focusers, Canon cameras, Titan and Paramount scope rigs, filter wheels, and automation controllers.

          The software installed easily for me (Win XP). The only problem I ever had was a single bad port due to a power surge from a close lightning strike...which was not the fault of the Edgeport.

          The units are sold by Digi.com. I happen to have a 2 or a 4 port model I am not using any more...not sure as I would have to look. Contact me privately, if you are interested.

          Ray

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "dcb84121" <davealta@...> wrote:

          > In case it's my present 8 port USB/Serial hub that is causing intermittent problems, what is a recommended replacement brand/model of an 8 port USB to Serial Converter?
          > David Bailey

        • chasfranks71
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
            David,
            I have used an ATen UC2324 USB/4-port Serial unit for a few years with no problems whatever. I don't think they have an 8-port model but 2x 4-port should work OK. Not too expensive.
            Regards
            Charles

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "dcb84121" <davealta@...> wrote:

            > In case it's my present 8 port USB/Serial hub that is causing intermittent problems, what is a recommended replacement brand/model of an 8 port USB to Serial Converter?
            > David Bailey

          • astroimagek
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2013
              I strongly recommend the Edgeport models as well. They've always "just worked" whereas I always had issues with the single USB-Serial converter cables.

              Regards,
              Kevin