Re: [ccd-newastro] M106

  • Bernard Miller
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
      Bruce,

      Very nice image. Good detail in the core. There might be some more detail you could get in the outer arms, but I am looking at it on an iPad, so I am not sure.

      Bernard

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jun 25, 2013, at 6:13 PM, "waddington50" <bw_msg01@...> wrote:

      > This image was shot with a 12.5" CDK telescope and a QSI-640ws camera
      > working at f/8. The data were captured on three nights in June from a
      > dark-sky site near Anza, CA for a total LRGB integration of 7.3 hours.
      > I was actually rather late in the year getting to this target, so it was
      > too low in the northwest to get any H-alpha data. The well-known "jets"
      > are just barely visible in the red, and I imagine H-alpha data would
      > have definitely helped to bring them out better. The bulk of the
      > post-processing was done in CCDStack, with color balance using
      > ExCalibrator and final enhancement using Photoshop.
      >
      > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg
      > <http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jp\
      > g>
      >
      > Thanks for looking - comments and criticism are welcome.
      >
      > Bruce W.

    • Stan
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 26, 2013
        --- "waddington50" <bw_msg01@...> wrote:
        > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg

        Top notch!
        That's about as good as is possible with 12" aperture.

        Stan
      • waddington50
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 26, 2013
          Thanks for the comments and encouragement on this one guys. I did take Bernard's suggestion and was able to bring out a bit more detail in the dim arms. Time to move on to the next target... :-)

          Cheers,

          Bruce

          --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <stan_ccd@...> wrote:

          > --- "waddington50" <bw_msg01@> wrote:
          > > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg
          >
          > Top notch!
          > That's about as good as is possible with 12" aperture.
          >
          > Stan

        • Fabio Acquarone
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 15 5:17 AM

            Hi,
             I had a session on Saturday shooting M106.  Moon at 53% was disturbing a lot and i struggled to have a good result on the background sky, flat was almost covering issues at 50%.
            Anyway cropping a little , defects are les visible, but i found on the image a zone , upper right corner, which it puzzling me. It seems that something is displayed but i do not undertsand what it is.
            Here is the image http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/13070025874/lightbox/

            Here is the image with some label on the displayed objects, not all are labelled.
             http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/13069654235/

            And here is a crop of the "incriminated" area, that i put on the Files-->Fabio folder.
            Can someone help to understand ? Is it a reflection ?

            Image was taken with:
            FLT 110 F7 on GM11
            SXVF-M25C + LP2 + flattener
            Lodestar as guider

            Thanks
            Fabio

            FabioH2O_3Piccolo

            http://www.flickr.com/people/fabioh2o/

            http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/collections/72157631874618638/  (Astronomy)

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 15 1:26 PM
              BTW: would be interesting to see the raw FITS stack; that image has been smoothed quite a bit (noise reduction).

              Also, the links I sent previously indicate that stuff in that area is mag 21-22, so that's some very dim stuff; probably why there's not much available about it in NED.

              Ron Wodaski

              On Mar 15, 2014, at 5:17 AM, Fabio Acquarone <fabio_acquarone@...> wrote:

[...]

              <image001.jpg>