Re: [ccd-newastro] M106

  • Ron Brant
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
      Nice photo Bruce.
      Ron
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: waddington50
      To: ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:13 PM
      Subject: [ccd-newastro] M106

      This image was shot with a 12.5" CDK telescope and a QSI-640ws camera
      working at f/8. The data were captured on three nights in June from a
      dark-sky site near Anza, CA for a total LRGB integration of 7.3 hours.
      I was actually rather late in the year getting to this target, so it was
      too low in the northwest to get any H-alpha data. The well-known "jets"
      are just barely visible in the red, and I imagine H-alpha data would
      have definitely helped to bring them out better. The bulk of the
      post-processing was done in CCDStack, with color balance using
      ExCalibrator and final enhancement using Photoshop.

      http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg
      <http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jp\
      g>

      Thanks for looking - comments and criticism are welcome.

      Bruce W.

    • Bernard Miller
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
        Bruce,

        Very nice image. Good detail in the core. There might be some more detail you could get in the outer arms, but I am looking at it on an iPad, so I am not sure.

        Bernard

        Sent from my iPad

        On Jun 25, 2013, at 6:13 PM, "waddington50" <bw_msg01@...> wrote:

        > This image was shot with a 12.5" CDK telescope and a QSI-640ws camera
        > working at f/8. The data were captured on three nights in June from a
        > dark-sky site near Anza, CA for a total LRGB integration of 7.3 hours.
        > I was actually rather late in the year getting to this target, so it was
        > too low in the northwest to get any H-alpha data. The well-known "jets"
        > are just barely visible in the red, and I imagine H-alpha data would
        > have definitely helped to bring them out better. The bulk of the
        > post-processing was done in CCDStack, with color balance using
        > ExCalibrator and final enhancement using Photoshop.
        >
        > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg
        > <http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jp\
        > g>
        >
        > Thanks for looking - comments and criticism are welcome.
        >
        > Bruce W.

      • Stan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 26, 2013
          --- "waddington50" <bw_msg01@...> wrote:
          > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg

          Top notch!
          That's about as good as is possible with 12" aperture.

          Stan
        • waddington50
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 26, 2013
            Thanks for the comments and encouragement on this one guys. I did take Bernard's suggestion and was able to bring out a bit more detail in the dim arms. Time to move on to the next target... :-)

            Cheers,

            Bruce

            --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <stan_ccd@...> wrote:

            > --- "waddington50" <bw_msg01@> wrote:
            > > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg
            >
            > Top notch!
            > That's about as good as is possible with 12" aperture.
            >
            > Stan

          • Fabio Acquarone
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 15, 2014

              Hi,
               I had a session on Saturday shooting M106.  Moon at 53% was disturbing a lot and i struggled to have a good result on the background sky, flat was almost covering issues at 50%.
              Anyway cropping a little , defects are les visible, but i found on the image a zone , upper right corner, which it puzzling me. It seems that something is displayed but i do not undertsand what it is.
              Here is the image http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/13070025874/lightbox/

              Here is the image with some label on the displayed objects, not all are labelled.
               http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/13069654235/

              And here is a crop of the "incriminated" area, that i put on the Files-->Fabio folder.
              Can someone help to understand ? Is it a reflection ?

              Image was taken with:
              FLT 110 F7 on GM11
              SXVF-M25C + LP2 + flattener
              Lodestar as guider

              Thanks
              Fabio

              FabioH2O_3Piccolo

              http://www.flickr.com/people/fabioh2o/

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/collections/72157631874618638/  (Astronomy)

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 15, 2014
                BTW: would be interesting to see the raw FITS stack; that image has been smoothed quite a bit (noise reduction).

                Also, the links I sent previously indicate that stuff in that area is mag 21-22, so that's some very dim stuff; probably why there's not much available about it in NED.

                Ron Wodaski

                On Mar 15, 2014, at 5:17 AM, Fabio Acquarone <fabio_acquarone@...> wrote:

[...]

                <image001.jpg>