M106

  • waddington50
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
      This image was shot with a 12.5" CDK telescope and a QSI-640ws camera
      working at f/8. The data were captured on three nights in June from a
      dark-sky site near Anza, CA for a total LRGB integration of 7.3 hours.
      I was actually rather late in the year getting to this target, so it was
      too low in the northwest to get any H-alpha data. The well-known "jets"
      are just barely visible in the red, and I imagine H-alpha data would
      have definitely helped to bring them out better. The bulk of the
      post-processing was done in CCDStack, with color balance using
      ExCalibrator and final enhancement using Photoshop.

      http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg
      <http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jp\
      g>

      Thanks for looking - comments and criticism are welcome.

      Bruce W.

    • Ron Brant
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
        Nice photo Bruce.
        Ron

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 25, 2013
          Bruce,

          Very nice image. Good detail in the core. There might be some more detail you could get in the outer arms, but I am looking at it on an iPad, so I am not sure.

          Bernard

          Sent from my iPad

          On Jun 25, 2013, at 6:13 PM, "waddington50" <bw_msg01@...> wrote:

          > This image was shot with a 12.5" CDK telescope and a QSI-640ws camera
          > working at f/8. The data were captured on three nights in June from a
          > dark-sky site near Anza, CA for a total LRGB integration of 7.3 hours.
          > I was actually rather late in the year getting to this target, so it was
          > too low in the northwest to get any H-alpha data. The well-known "jets"
          > are just barely visible in the red, and I imagine H-alpha data would
          > have definitely helped to bring them out better. The bulk of the
          > post-processing was done in CCDStack, with color balance using
          > ExCalibrator and final enhancement using Photoshop.
          >
          > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg
          > <http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jp\
          > g>
          >
          > Thanks for looking - comments and criticism are welcome.
          >
          > Bruce W.

        • Stan
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 26, 2013
            --- "waddington50" <bw_msg01@...> wrote:
            > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg

            Top notch!
            That's about as good as is possible with 12" aperture.

            Stan
          • waddington50
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 26, 2013
              Thanks for the comments and encouragement on this one guys. I did take Bernard's suggestion and was able to bring out a bit more detail in the dim arms. Time to move on to the next target... :-)

              Cheers,

              Bruce

              --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <stan_ccd@...> wrote:

              > --- "waddington50" <bw_msg01@> wrote:
              > > http://www.oc-aisig.org/zenphoto/albums/Astronomy-Images/m106_lrgb_6.jpg
              >
              > Top notch!
              > That's about as good as is possible with 12" aperture.
              >
              > Stan

            • Fabio Acquarone
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 15, 2014

                Hi,
                 I had a session on Saturday shooting M106.  Moon at 53% was disturbing a lot and i struggled to have a good result on the background sky, flat was almost covering issues at 50%.
                Anyway cropping a little , defects are les visible, but i found on the image a zone , upper right corner, which it puzzling me. It seems that something is displayed but i do not undertsand what it is.
                Here is the image http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/13070025874/lightbox/

                Here is the image with some label on the displayed objects, not all are labelled.
                 http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/13069654235/

                And here is a crop of the "incriminated" area, that i put on the Files-->Fabio folder.
                Can someone help to understand ? Is it a reflection ?

                Image was taken with:
                FLT 110 F7 on GM11
                SXVF-M25C + LP2 + flattener
                Lodestar as guider

                Thanks
                Fabio

                FabioH2O_3Piccolo

                http://www.flickr.com/people/fabioh2o/

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/fabioh2o/collections/72157631874618638/  (Astronomy)

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 15, 2014
                  BTW: would be interesting to see the raw FITS stack; that image has been smoothed quite a bit (noise reduction).

                  Also, the links I sent previously indicate that stuff in that area is mag 21-22, so that's some very dim stuff; probably why there's not much available about it in NED.

                  Ron Wodaski

                  On Mar 15, 2014, at 5:17 AM, Fabio Acquarone <fabio_acquarone@...> wrote:

[...]

                  <image001.jpg>