Re: OT: Wide field Milky Way from Spruce Knob, West Virginia

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
      --- Matt <matt.dieterich@...> wrote:
      > I will definitely look into the issues you mentioned Stan.
      > Had to use my kit lens for this shot and had it wide open...

      Camera lenses (esp zoom) have all kinds of nasty issues when it comes to precision astro-imaging: optical distortion (pincushion/barrel), vignette, and aberrations. The extremely short FL results in ultra-wide fields (by astro standards) from which it is nearly impossible to remove complicated sky gradients. So that's why I call such images "nightscapes", which BTW I greatly enjoy doing (see my nightscape links at http://www.stanmooreastro.com).

      To take precision ultra-wide astro-images it is necessary to mosaic controlled/calibrated frames via longer FL. But that is a lot of work. Otherwise the problematic low res images from DSLR/kit-lens are fun but very limited. No matter how many times you shoot the Milky Way or how long the exps with that equipment, the images will pretty much look the same, unless you also include some land features. And there are only a few interesting target-fields for that FOV, though you can productively reimage some fields via H-a filter.

      Of course, the next step (if there is one) would be to use a scope or long lens...

      Stan