Re: [ccd-newastro] Re: Looking for new portable mount

  • Orlando Andico
    Message 1 of 40 , Jun 8, 2013
      Let me chime in on this.

      1) Roland states that the Mach1 can handle a C11 without issue; I imagine
      you will still need an off-axis guider.

      I am using a C9.25 with a separate guide scope (a 560mm focal length, 60mm
      refractor). This works just fine up to 10 minute guided subs.

      2) I have a CGEM. You will be astonished at the (relative) lack of
      features in the AP GTO controller. There is no alignment procedure (e.g.
      no need to put the mount in home position and wait for it to slew to
      alignment stars). Because the AP GTO controller only does 1-star aligns.
      You turn on the mount, point it at a star across the meridian from the
      telescope tube, select the star from the list, and Sync. That's it.

      What this makes obvious is that the pointing will be severely off unless
      your polar alignment is perfect.

      3) Another option is the 10Micron GM1000HPS. Ed Thomas from Deep Space
      Products is the US distributor. It weighs more than the Mach1, has the
      same capacity (45lb) as the Mach1.... and costs $1000 - $1500 more. BUT -
      it has dual 10-million tick absolute encoders on both axes. I'll leave the
      real experts like Ron to tell you what dual encoders bring to the table...

      Orlando Andico
      +65.6436.1577 | +65.8139.0251

    • CurtisC
      Message 40 of 40 , Jun 10, 2013
        Who is "AT?" Astro-Physics' website lists four US dealers. OPT says "out of stock." Anacortes doesn't say if they have it in stock, and I haven't investigated Company7 and Starizona. Also, Mach1s show up on AM pretty regularly.