Re: [ccd-newastro] Gloves for handling filters

    Message 1 of 6 , May 14, 2013
      Latex is a safe bet, so is nitrile. I like the thicker ones they sell at automotive stores; they are less likely to break, and come in a wide variety of sizes. They are typically the same brands as you would see in a dental or medical office, by the way. And you can also find these thicker gloves on Amazon, and probably other online sources as well.

      The thin gloves we normally think of as medical gloves break way too easily, especially if you have larger hands.

      Ron Wodaski

      On May 14, 2013, at 11:15 AM, nakbrooks <ukzxcvb@...> wrote:

      > Bit of basic advice sought here.
      >
      > I've just bought a set of Astrodon narrow-band 50mm sq unmounted filters (haven't paid as much for anything so small since the wife's engagement ring !!).
      >
      > Anyway my question is, what are the best gloves to wear when handling them to avoid damage or contamination? Should I use lint-free cotton gloves, or latex surgical gloves, or something else?
      >
      > Many thanks
      >
      > Nigel
      >

      > ------------------------------------

    • nakbrooks
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15, 2013
        Thanks Ron, I'll go with Nitrile.

        Nigel

        --- In ccd-newastro@yahoogroups.com, Ron Wodaski <yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Latex is a safe bet, so is nitrile. I like the thicker ones they sell at automotive stores; they are less likely to break, and come in a wide variety of sizes. They are typically the same brands as you would see in a dental or medical office, by the way. And you can also find these thicker gloves on Amazon, and probably other online sources as well.
        >
        > The thin gloves we normally think of as medical gloves break way too easily, especially if you have larger hands.
        >
        > Ron Wodaski
        >

        > On May 14, 2013, at 11:15 AM, nakbrooks <ukzxcvb@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Bit of basic advice sought here.
        > >
        > > I've just bought a set of Astrodon narrow-band 50mm sq unmounted filters (haven't paid as much for anything so small since the wife's engagement ring !!).
        > >
        > > Anyway my question is, what are the best gloves to wear when handling them to avoid damage or contamination? Should I use lint-free cotton gloves, or latex surgical gloves, or something else?
        > >
        > > Many thanks
        > >
        > > Nigel
        > >

        > > ------------------------------------

      • jfmiller7
        Message 3 of 6 , May 15, 2013
          I have had very good luck with the nitrile . Readily evadable .

          best regards,

          Jim Miller

          > Latex is a safe bet, so is nitrile . I like the thicker ones they sell at automotive stores; they are less likely to break, and come in a wide variety of sizes. They are typically the same brands as you would see in a dental or medical office, by the way. And you can also find these thicker gloves on Amazon, and probably other online sources as well.
          >
          > The thin gloves we normally think of as medical gloves break way too easily, especially if you have larger hands.
          >
          > Ron Wodaski
          >

          > On May 14, 2013, at 11:15 AM, nakbrooks < ukzxcvb @...> wrote:
          >
          > > Bit of basic advice sought here.
          > >
          > > I've just bought a set of Astrodon narrow-band 50mm sq unmounted filters (haven't paid as much for anything so small since the wife's engagement ring !!).
          > >
          > > Anyway my question is, what are the best gloves to wear when handling them to avoid damage or contamination? Should I use lint-free cotton gloves, or latex surgical gloves, or something else?
          > >
          > > Many thanks
          > >
          > > Nigel

        • tpiccian
          Message 4 of 6 , May 21, 2013
            I made the mistake of trying to use the white gloves sold by hobbiests and got lint all over my filters. Fortunately I also purchased a ccd electrostatic brush and a Rocket bulb blower. You blow air through the brush and it puts a charge on the fibers. Then when you gently go across the filter it pulls the dust into the brush.

            Worked very well on my $900 set of 50 mm LRGB Astrodons.

            Tom P.

          • echesak@flash.net
            Message 5 of 6 , May 22, 2013
              Hi Nigel,

              Congrats on the filters. After saving for a year, I bought a set of 3nm 50mm filters last year. The real pisser is that the we had the worst Winter weather since I've started imaging. So I had only a half-dozen outings, all season. The few times I was able to test them, I found them to be well worth the money. I found the 3nm OIII to be especially helpful for me.

              As for mounting, there are special finger cots used for handling optics and sensitive electronics.:

              http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/9997/Natural-Rubber-Latex-Fingercots-Powder-Free

              But I used a set of powderless latex gloves (I had them from when I used to do a lot of laser and holographic work). I followed the install with a quick puff of air from a bulb.

              Again congrats on the new filters. I think you'll be very happy with them.

              Eric